Retaining our 2014 Free Agents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaining our 2014 Free Agents

In order of importance and obviously dependant upon what kind of market price they'd be looking for, how would you rank the priority of retaining these guys that are hitting the market next season?

I have deliberately not included Chris Harris as he is restricted and there's no way we'll let him walk.

For me it is as follows.

1. DRC with the aging Bailey he'd be my 1 priority
    2. Woodyard, leader of the defense in the middle
    3. Decker, important part of the aerial offense
    4. Beadles, decent OG, but we do have Kuper and Moffitt
    5. Phillips, top pass rusher this season
    6. Ayers, decent starting DE, but we could do better
    7. Walton, plagued with injury and Ramirez is doing a decent job
    8. Unrein (RFA) decent rotation guy but not worth more than base minimum
    9. Mike Adams, aging safety
    10 Caldwell, rarely sees the field

Broncos will be a lot tighter against the cap next season so in all likelyhood some of the following may be in danger of release.

Champ $10m cap hit
    Dreesen $3.3m cap hit
    Tamme $3.8m cap hit
    Vickerson $3.5m cap hit
    Kuper $5.9m cap hit ( he already reduced his salary this season, so it'll likely be him or Beadles and not both)

Your thoughts?

Pretty solid list order. I disagree with Decker though. I don't think he is going to be worth the dollars he'll command. Somebody with over pay him. How much money can you throw at one position? Also, I could see some benefit in bringing more speed and athleticism to that spot.

Comment

Yeah agree with most of this. DRC, Woodyard and maybe Decker are the only ones I would open the check book for. I would keep either Dreesen or Tamme, but not both. Vickerson can walk. Phillips is old. Unless he wants to come back for a somewhat decent offer I'd let him go. Resign Unrein because he's cheap and his wife is hot. Adams might be worth it if Nacho continues to not progress in the positive. Always good to have some veteran presence in the secondary.

The real question for me is the offensive line. Between Kuper, Walton and Beadles, I could see scenarios where we keep them all and lose them all. It will probably be some kind of mix. I would like to see Clark at RT, Franklin at G and Clady back at LT. In that scenario you could let some guys walk.

Comment

Woodyard is #1 imo. Don't see us retaining Decker

Comment

I like Kuper, but there is no way he's back at that salary... Big Vick is gone IMO if he keeps acting a fool...

Comment

Solid list, though I'd put Woodyard as the #1 priority.

I've kind of come to grips w/the fact we'll probably lose Decker, as much as I hate that idea. With DT's and Von's deals needing to be re-done before they get a chance to hit free agency, I just can't see Decker getting a deal he's happy with in Denver.

I'd like to see Harris locked up longterm, as well.

I love the depth we have on this team. It's going to be very difficult to keep all of our contributors.

Comment

Originally posted by phibacka31 View Post
              I like Kuper, but there is no way he's back at that salary... Big Vick is gone IMO if he keeps acting a fool...
              Kuper already restructured this season. He's not making much more than the vet minimum.

I think Champ will need to take a pay cut or be cut, unfortunately. We may be looking at his last season in the orange and blue.

Comment

I say we tell Decker we are taping his new contract terms to a random pass this year and he only gets it if he holds onto it.

Comment

I doubt Decker stays seeing the garbage WR play around the league. He will command more than we got IMO

Comment

Originally posted by rolandftw View Post
                    Woodyard is #1 imo. Don't see us retaining Decker
                    This.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
                      I say we tell Decker we are taping his new contract terms to a random pass this year and he only gets it if he holds onto it.
                      lol, I think we end up keeping decker. He's a big part of the offense and has been more consistent than DT the last few weeks

Comment

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CHAMP, but there is NOOO way we keep him at his high salary.

Comment

I would also agree either Tamme or Dressen is gone

Comment

I'm sure McClueless will talk Belicheat into offering Decker a sweet deal since he drafted him and all in 2010.

It's pretty much a given because the Pats WR corps is trash.

Comment

Originally posted by phibacka31 View Post
                              I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CHAMP, but there is NOOO way we keep him at his high salary.
                              Ideally, we win it all this year and Champ rides off into the sunset.

Comment

Working...
                              X