JDR named interim coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't good.

The amount of time the HC has to spend with media, roster transactions, game day decisions, and so on really take up a lot of time. All time taken away from actually looking at the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by fontaine View Post
      This isn't good.

The amount of time the HC has to spend with media, roster transactions, game day decisions, and so on really take up a lot of time. All time taken away from actually looking at the defense.
      Del Rio has done this before. He's got almost a decade of experience handling all those responsibilities. I am sure he will lean on his coordinators a bit, but I don't expect a dramatic step back if there even is one at all.

Comment

Will JDR wear a suit on the sidelines?

Like a boss.

Comment

The only important question:

What's JDR's record in Jacksonville in terms of challenge flags?

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
            The only important question:

What's JDR's record in Jacksonville in terms of challenge flags?
            Follow up: Going for it on fourth and short when just outside field goal range.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
              Del Rio has done this before. He's got almost a decade of experience handling all those responsibilities. I am sure he will lean on his coordinators a bit, but I don't expect a dramatic step back if there even is one at all.
              Done what? Juggle DC/HC jobs? That's news to me. I thought he had a DC in Jax?

I know what you're saying though, but when there's a certain amount of work that needs to be done (film study, going over defensive calls, scouting an opponent, etc) as a DC then there's no getting away from that. These guys already spend 10-12 hours a day doing one job, trying to do two now is when sh*t happens.

Case in point, look at KC's defense last year and this year. Outside one one/two players it's the same personnel but now with a full time DC instead of Crennel stupidly trying to do both HC/DC gigs and sucking at both because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 24champ View Post
                Will JDR wear a suit on the sidelines?

Like a boss.
                You remember when he and Mike Nolan were wearing suits and the NFL, because of its monster Reebok contract, changed the rules to only let them wear suits twice a year, and they had to be Reebok created suits?

What I'm saying is I want JDR in a bright orange, Nike designed three piece for the Sunday night Chiefs game.

Comment

I personally think this sucks.

We're down one HC who the players really liked playing for and respected. And now we're down a quality DC because he's moved to HC.

I would have preferred Studsville be promoted to interim HC if only to deal with all the media bullcrap so Gase/JDR can continue to focus on their units.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid A View Post
                    I want JDR in a bright orange, Nike designed three piece for the Sunday night Chiefs game.
                    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7MHADtpEegA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Done what? Juggle DC/HC jobs? That's news to me. I thought he had a DC in Jax?

I know what you're saying though, but when there's a certain amount of work that needs to be done (film study, going over defensive calls, scouting an opponent, etc) as a DC then there's no getting away from that. These guys already spend 10-12 hours a day doing one job, trying to do two now is when sh*t happens.

Case in point, look at KC's defense last year and this year. Outside one one/two players it's the same personnel but now with a full time DC instead of Crennel stupidly trying to do both HC/DC gigs and sucking at both because of it.
                      I'm not sure Crennel lacking an assistant at DC is really what ailed KC.

Comment

We're down one HC who the players really liked playing for and respected. And now we're down a quality DC because he's moved to HC.

I would have preferred Studsville be promoted to interim HC if only to deal with all the media bullcrap so Gase/JDR can continue to focus on their units.
                        Granted, im not in the broncos locker room, but this seems weird to me. Youre basically asserting the head coach does nothing more than throw challenge flags and make speeches.

Comment

This is why Elway didn't rush to name anyone interim coach, he evaluated everything and felt that JDR is the best option. He has the most head coaching experience and has been to the playoffs before. We don't know if Fox will be back this season, and I'd rather go with JDR for the stretch run.

Comment

I would have preferred Studesville be promoted to interim HC if only to deal with all the media bullcrap so Gase/JDR can continue to focus on their units.
                            I proposed the same thing (Studesville) for the same reasons.

You better hope Kaylore doesn't read your post.

Comment

Put the best guy available in the most important position on the coaching staff. I feel that the best guy available is JDR.

We'll get a better idea if there will be significant changes to the on-field product over the next couple weeks, starting on Sunday. Unless I see a significant drop in on-field productivity that can be directly related to coaching, I'm not going to fret over who wears which coaching hat.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
                                Granted, im not in the broncos locker room, but this seems weird to me. Youre basically asserting the head coach does nothing more than throw challenge flags and make speeches.
                                They most honestly believe that. I think Baja made a comment that we just need someone to clap for them as they exit the field. Basically a big happy mascot. And Studesville is happy, so yay!

I know the perception around the league was that John Fox didn't do anything, but that just isn't true. Fox laid out the general things he wanted to see from the game plans that he let his coordinators develop. He'd also focus on areas of concern and make those priorities in practice. He helped keep an eye on morale, workload and also made sure the players focused on the right things. He is very good at doing press conferences and not giving ammo to the opponents. He is a very good head coach and his players LOVE him.

Being a head coach during a playoff run is a lot more intense than being one after you're out of the playoffs and want to give the fans something to cheer for. I would say if JDR was our permanent head coach and he was going to claim to continue to call the defense then I'd be concerned. But he's not. And we need an experienced hand to take us into the postseason - and maybe beyond. A rookie head coach isn't the right choice for these circumstances.

JDR is experienced, defensive minded and was a former player. He has the respect of the team and the perspective of years at the position to keep things even.

Comment

Working...
                                X