Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the NFL ready for openly gay players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the NFL ready for openly gay players?

I realize this may be better served in the WARPED room so mods feel free to move if you think so, but as I was reading the story about the Dolphins player it made me wonder. This is partly because one of the articles referenced suggests this may mean the NFL is not ready for this given the bullying tactics already in place for players viewed as different or weaker than others. But I've also been wondering since I read an article or saw something on this a few years ago, where they interviewed a few players who came out years after their NFL career ended.

Now the NFL has a few articles indicating people are ready:
    one example: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...saying-hes-gay

And I found a story from former players talking to their experience of being gay, not all of it being NFL related, but interesting http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/23/gay-in-the-nfl/

My take is that honestly I don't think the NFL is ready. The guy who did the interview a few years ago that I saw (and I can't name the source, sorry) indicated that even now that he's open his former teammmates either don't talk to him or when they do they talk to him about it they say they will "pray for his soul" and more or less "pray the gay away."

The military is only now sort of becoming more accepting of it and i am not sure how much that's really true right now, but I can't see the NFL adapting to that right now. But before this makes it sound like I think it's just an NFL thing, I don't. I think it's still difficult for any major team sport in the US or anywhere to be hugely accepting of gay athletes.

Anyway, the reason I didn't post in the WARP room is because I was curious what not just politically motivated people might say, but actual fans of the sport. Still, if the mods want it moved, by all means.

I don't think the NFL is quite ready yet. It will be difficult to penetrate the ultimate manly man sport. I only see this happening in the near future if an elite star comes out (Aaron Rodgers anyone?) but otherwise it will be a Jonathan martin scenario again.

Comment

Originally posted by SeedReaver View Post
      I don't think the NFL is quite ready yet. It will be difficult to penetrate the ultimate manly man sport. I only see this happening in the near future if an elite star comes out (Aaron Rodgers anyone?) but otherwise it will be a Jonathan martin scenario again.
      You said penetrate. lol.

Comment

QB? No. Center? Yes. Because of the ass play.

Comment

Some people in the NFL are ready for it, probably know a teammate or players on other teams who are gay. But there are others who never will be.

A high profile player who contributes week in and week out would have to come out while playing. That man will have a rough time even if he is in a "gay friendly" city and has the support of the team. Fans can be dicks.

Would be interesting to see the Westboro Baptist Church picketing a tailgate though.

Comment

I wouldn't touch this topic with a 10 inch pole ..... there are way too many rump-rangers on the OM that will get their feelings hurt.
            Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-01-2013, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
              I wouldn't touch this topic with a 10 inch pole ..... there are way too many rump-rangers on the OM that will get their feeling hurt.
              Is there any other poster on the Mane whose avatar so perfectly reflects their personality?

Comment

Comment

After the Miami thing, I would venture to say no. Right or wrong, it's a pretty brutal league.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                    Is there any other poster on the Mane whose avatar so perfectly reflects their personality?
                    A brash, loud big mouth who should be wearing a helmet? No.

Comment

They would need like ten guys to come out at once and one of them to be a respected star player for it to be marginally tolerable. Like if Drew Brees came out, or Patrick Willis or something, and bunch of other guys came out too, it would defuse the media hype quite a bit. Even then, those players would undergo a good deal of scrutiny and scorn from opposing players. They may even say things way worse than "big weirdo."

The media would do it's best to attack anyone that attacked the players, but the media would also make things worse. Anytime that player was cut or signed the media would attack or worship the franchise. It would be a circus. Like that marginal gay center who is past his prime who came out and now there are accusations of bigotry because interest was low when it was really he was old and not very good at basketball.
                      Last edited by Kaylore; 11-01-2013, 07:42 AM.

Comment

No. The league is certainly not ready. It's WAAAAAAY to easy to let the soap slip out of your hands in the shower......

Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                          They would need like ten guys to come out at once and one of them to be a respected star player for it to be marginally tolerable. Like if Drew Brees came out, or Patrick Willis or something, and bunch of other guys came out too, it would defuse the media hype quite a bit. Even then, those players would undergo a good deal of scrutiny and scorn from opposing players. They may even say things way worse than "big weirdo."

The media would do it's best to attack anyone that attacked the players, but the media would also make things worse. Anytime that player was cut or signed the media would attack or worship the franchise. It would be a circus. Like that marginal gay center who is past his prime who came out and now there are accusations of bigotry because interest was low when it was really he was old and not very good at basketball.
                          Stop telling us about your fantasies.

Comment

nope, I don't think the NFL is ready for an openly gay player like Brady.

Comment

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
                              Stop telling us about your fantasies.

Comment

Working...
                              X