Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Okoye

So I was looking at his Wikipedia page.

In his rookie year, Okoye rushed for 660 yards on 157 carries; and though a thumb injury limited him to nine games, he managed to gain 473 yards the following season.

In 1989, Okoye enjoyed his best NFL season by far, leading the league in both rushing attempts (370) and rushing yards (1,480). Though the Chiefs missed the playoffs, Okoye was selected by UPI as the American Football Conference's Offensive Player of the Year and earned a trip to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl.

The remainder of Okoye's career was marked by a nagging knee injury, one which limited him to 805 yards and a 3.3 yard average per carry in 1990. Though his 1991 performance (1,031 yards, 4.6 yards per carry) earned him his second Pro Bowl appearance, Okoye's carries in 1992 were largely limited to goal-line situations.

Okoye has stated that he ended his NFL career because he became tired of practice, and that he considered football to be a job.[1]

Okoye retired as the Chiefs' all-time rushing leader, having amassed 4,897 yards, 1,246 attempts, and 14 games with at least 100 yards rushing, in his six seasons. Those team records have since been surpassed by Priest Holmes. His 40 career rushing touchdowns as a member of the Chiefs trail only Holmes and Marcus Allen. His Chiefs records for carries in a game and rushing attempts in a season were surpassed by Larry Johnson. Okoye was the team MVP in 1989, and was enshrined in the Chiefs Hall of Fame in 2000.

Among videogamers, Okoye is well known for his performances in Tecmo Super Bowl (1991), in which he's nearly impossible to tackle. Except when confronted by Steve Atwater.

Whoa, cool. Is all that information easily accessible somewhere online or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Shananahan View Post
      Whoa, cool. Is all that information easily accessible somewhere online or something?
      http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Christian+Okoye+Wikipedia#

Comment

this definitely deserved a thread

alt: 17,000 post rule

Comment

I'm not sure what this thread is for, but I think that Rascal either:

a) just discovered Wikipedia
          b) just discovered Christian Okoye
          c) just did both of those things in that order

Comment

Comment

I'm not sure what this thread is for, but I think that Rascal either:

a) just discovered Wikipedia
              b) just discovered Christian Okoye
              c) just did both of those things in that order
              d) was in Nigeria and had a nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                It never gets old.

Comment

Atwater would be kicked out of the league for a hit like that now

Comment

Originally posted by oubronco View Post
                    Untrue. That hit is clean. Atwater is leading with his shoulder and makes contact with Okoye on his pads.

Comment

some say he was never the the same after the Atwater hit. I'm not even sure he played against the Broncos again.

Comment

That was funny. lol

Comment

When ever I hear Christian Okoye's name, this play is the first thing that comes to mind. That's pretty much his career right there. Nothing else to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by oubronco View Post
                            Well he led with his shoulders, and Okoye wouldn't be considered defenseless. Hell, that guy saw the hit coming and tried to brace himself.

I wonder if Okoye gets nervous when he's in the same room as Atwater. lol

Last edited by Jason in LA; 11-01-2013, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Okoye was nothing special. When you see his stats when he retired and they say he finished as the franchise leader in all categories with ok numbers over a mere six seasons, it's easy to see why the Chiefs sucked so badly from the merger to the mid nineties.

Comment

Working...
                              X