Why do so few teams make trades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do so few teams make trades?

I realize there is always some risk involved in a trade and nobody wants to look like a fool, but,still, I can't help but wonder why more players aren't traded.

Why would the Falcons hold on to Tony Gonzalez? This is his final year, the team is going nowhere, and if you only received a 7th round pick for him, it would be more than you would gain by keeping him

Why would the Jags keep MJD? Worst team in the league, no QB, years of rebuilding ahead, older RB with a large contract...I don't get it.

Why would the Vikings keep Jared Allen? He's gone after this year most likely. Their QB situation is dire. Bad record. No chance at playoffs. What is the case for keeping him?

Is it all about the compensatory picks?

Cap spaces? I don't know why more teams don't knowing full well the player is walking after the year and get nothing in return. Comp picks aren't worth much unless you can capitalize on gems in the draft. And even then it's a veteran who you know what you have on the field, vs someone you don't have a clue on how the draftee will be.
    Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 10-29-2013, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post
      I realize there is always some risk involved in a trade and nobody wants to look like a fool, but,still, I can't help but wonder why more players aren't traded.

Why would the Falcons hold on to Tony Gonzalez? This is his final year, the team is going nowhere, and if you only received a 7th round pick for him, it would be more than you would gain by keeping him

Why would the Jags keep MJD? Worst team in the league, no QB, years of rebuilding ahead, older RB with a large contract...I don't get it.

Why would the Vikings keep Jared Allen? He's gone after this year most likely. Their QB situation is dire. Bad record. No chance at playoffs. What is the case for keeping him?

It's not a lack of sellers it's a lack of buyers. Usually the guys on the blocks (is that racist?) are high dollar guys and buyers are reluctant to pay for a rental who would have to come in and learn a new system before he would be productive. Not to mention the draft pick that is usually asked for. Cap space too.

Comment

no balls and these guys overvalue their crappy mid round draft picks. i'm not saying they are worthless. you need them for sure, but these teams act as if they draft allpros with every pick.

Comment

A big part of it is the Salary cap. All the cap ramifications are not just for the acquiring team. There's also ramifications for the trading team with acceleration on signing bonuses on contracts. I believe it's half of the contract going back to the trading team after June 1st.

Comment

Too many drunk broke owners

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post

here's the case for keeping them. it's hard to make a trade if no one is willing to give up anything for that player.

because these players have big contracts and are in last years of the deals or are shadows of their former selves is exactly why teams weren't willing to part with anything to acquire them.

in the Allen case, there was interest but the Vikings probably overpriced him.

Comment

I think it's very difficult to come in midseason and learn a playbook so the opportunity to trade for a guy mid-season knowing that they will be handicapped all year is a hindrance. I would think there are a few positions where this isn't as big a factor such as HB (a team can function off very basic plays, iso, zone, off-tackle, etc) or DE (a situational pass rusher has one job).

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
                  I think it's very difficult to come in midseason and learn a playbook so the opportunity to trade for a guy mid-season knowing that they will be handicapped all year is a hindrance. I would think there are a few positions where this isn't as big a factor such as HB (a team can function off very basic plays, iso, zone, off-tackle, etc) or DE (a situational pass rusher has one job).

Comment

In the Allen case I think Pat was thinking he can buy his own personal distillery for 7 mil. He wasn't willing to lose that much money that he would rather have booze with.

Comment

It's being reported by a writer in KC (Marty McDonald) that the Chiefs offered a 5th round pick for Tony Gonzalez. The Falcons demanded a 3rd. They got...nothing. So they pay all of his salary, get nothing next year and still suck.

p.s. This McDonald guy may be full of crap. I can't vouch for him. Just saw it on a Falcon's message board.

EDIT: I said the guy was a writer. It looks like he is the "Save our Chiefs" guy.

Comment

I'd say one team always wants to get the better of the other, so it never happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
                          Yep plus most of those guys were either too old or were too big a cap hit.

Who is going to go get a TG, a guy who should have retired last year and pay him big money for 8 more games when he has to learn the play book and get in sync with a new QB.

Then you have to rework deals for guys who's contracts expire at the end of the year.

How the Pat's got Philly to give them a DT and a 6th pick for only a 5th is amazing to me. It was the Pats that had a clear need for a DT, why did Philly need to sweeten the deal with a 6th? The Pats really lost nothing on that move, a couple spots late in the draft. It was like Kelly wanted to do him a solid so maybe Belly could help him stay in the league a little longer. "Say Bill, remember the time I showed you my single call LOS system and the time I sent you a desperately needed DT for next to nothing? Can you help me keep my job?"

Comment

NFL culture isn't big on trades. They do happen but nothing like baseball and the NBA.

Comment

Bill Belichick addressed this...in short...what bpc said. It just takes too long to come in and learn the system and what's going on with the team...getting accustomed to daily routines, coaches etc... during mid season. At this point in the season everything around the team has to run accordingly, they don't have much time to catch someone up and work them in....factor in that it could mean mistakes on game day...then it becomes a risk.

So player values are much less during the season, hence why few happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X