KC and Denver QB situation reversal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoneFishin' View Post
    I'd really like to see Mahomes take the pounding defenses dished out thru the 80's and 90's. I'd like to see him with a Dan Reeves offense too.
    Pounding?

Uh, he’s bigger than Elway was

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...E/ElwaJo00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...M/MahoPa00.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunshow View Post
      When did Elway ever lead the NFL in touchdowns?

When was Elway ever a First Team All Pro?

He didn’t win a playoff game until his 4th season

Still HOF of course, but he was never MVP caliber until 1986 or so. Pat is the league leader in offense
      Who cares Elway always got to the super bowl
      With HFA. Lets see if mahoomes can match that

Good luck

Comment

• They're very similar size. And even if Mahomes is slightly bigger that doesn't make him built tougher. Trust me I'd love to see defenders drive Mahomes right shoulder into the turf putting their full body weight on him. Elway played thru that era and lasted. Qbs got is so good these days.

Comment

• Legally Mahomes will never be hit like this Kevin Greene hit at the 1:27 mark. Can't drive your body weight down on a QB any more. Back in the day that was just another football play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K86w2lSTm3E?start=87" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

They're very similar size. And even if Mahomes is slightly bigger that doesn't make him built tougher. Trust me I'd love to see defenders drive Mahomes right shoulder into the turf putting their full body weight on him. Elway played thru that era and lasted. Qbs got is so good these days.
            It seems like you really want to see Mahomes get hit hard. That’s interesting

Just watch any of our games and you should be happy. He got hit a ton. He got driven into the ground many times and no flags were thrown. Broncos and Steelers and Ravens clobbered him

Of course Mahomes always got up fast and celebrated. Lots of that happened on the road to 50/5000

Comment

Mahomes would be 19-0 with some of those 80s Broncos defenses
              Not playing the teams they played in the SB.

Comment

It seems like you really want to see Mahomes get hit hard. That’s interesting

Just watch any of our games and you should be happy. He got hit a ton. He got driven into the ground many times and no flags were thrown. Broncos and Steelers and Ravens clobbered him

Of course Mahomes always got up fast and celebrated. Lots of that happened on the road to 50/5000
                You act like he'd waltz into that era and be better than Elway but you don't want to take the physical pounding into consideration. Maybe you weren't alive for that era, which is fine, but there's a reason for the rule changes. It could be pretty brutal.

I actually like Mahomes, btw. He's one of my fav QBs in the league. I got nothing against him.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                  Not playing the teams they played in the SB.
                  NFC was stacked back then. Broncos had a “top defense” in 1989 but got shredded for 55 in the Super Bowl. It’s like the AFC was the minor league. Critics who blamed Elway were ignorant

There aren’t any superpowers in these playoffs
                  Last edited by Gunshow; 01-05-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

You act like he'd waltz into that era and be better than Elway but you don't want to take the physical pounding into consideration. Maybe you weren't alive for that era, which is fine, but there's a reason for the rule changes. It could be pretty brutal.

I actually like Mahomes, btw. He's one of my fav QBs in the league. I got nothing against him.
                    I don’t think he’d throw 50/5000 in 1986

But he’s been better at this age than Elway was, which was my point. Elway wasn’t Superman until the mid-80s

I can’t make any projections for the future. I don’t care about having an alltime great QB, just want Mahomes to get us the trophy. Mahomes can be Blake Bortles for all i care if he wins a Superbowl

Comment

I don’t think he’d throw 50/5000 in 1986

But he’s been better at this age than Elway was, which was my point. Elway wasn’t Superman until the mid-80s

I can’t make any projections for the future. I don’t care about having an alltime great QB, just want Mahomes to get us the trophy
                      It's not so cut and dry. Dan Reeves' 3 yds and a cloud of dust offense vs Andy Reid's innovative offense and play calling. Plus Mahomes has better play makers in his offense. Put Mahomes on the Bills this season and he's not throwing for 50/5000 this season. That's not a knock on Mahomes. Qbs need the proper infrastructure around them in order to have success. Mahomes and Reid is a great fit. They should have tons of success together. Put a young Elway in Mahomes place the offense would be off the chain just like it is with Mahomes.

Comment

It's not so cut and dry. Dan Reeves' 3 yds and a cloud of dust offense vs Andy Reid's innovative offense and play calling. Plus Mahomes has better play makers in his offense. Put Mahomes on the Bills this season and he's not throwing for 50/5000 this season. That's not a knock on Mahomes. Qbs need the proper infrastructure around them in order to have success. Mahomes and Reid is a great fit. They should have tons of success together. Put a young Elway in Mahomes place the offense would be off the chain just like it is with Mahomes.
                        At 23, Elway was a rookie. He threw 7 touchdowns and 14 interceptions

I know the 80s were different but not that different

Comment

NFC was stacked back then. Broncos had a “top defense” in 1989 but got shredded for 55 in the Super Bowl. It’s like the AFC was the minor league. Critics who blamed Elway were ignorant

There aren’t any superpowers in these playoffs
                          That 89 defense of the 9ers was probably the best in the league but the yardage stats say the Broncos. Big flaw there. 89 Niners might be the GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                            That 89 defense of the 9ers was probably the best in the league but the yardage stats say the Broncos. Big flaw there. 89 Niners might be the GOAT.
                            Broncos played a softer AFC schedule so their defense had better stats.

Comment

Broncos played a softer AFC schedule so their defense had better stats.
                              For sure it's why that whole argument of the number 1 D vs number 1 O isn't that accurate.

Comment

Under Reid our offense is usually sharper and more aggressive on the road. No wonder Mahomes had 31 touchdowns on the road an NFL record

But our defense needs Arrowhead to have any chance to keep a playoff team under 35

Historically the Chiefs franchise is better away from home in the playoffs. Most of the franchise playoff wins have come away from home. Chiefs largest playoff margin of victory at home is 10-6, while our biggest margin of victory away from home is 30-0. But of course, historically we’ve never had an All-Pro QB, so we’ll see what changes

As for “Reid Effect”...no. He has more playoff wins (11) than our whole franchise (9)
                                What’s Andy’s record at Arrowhead in the playoffs?

Comment

Working...
                                X