Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
    True!!!!
    Now, about Holland, Jackson and Scales going undrafted.

I kid, I kid.

Comment

Yeah, everyone listens to the guy making the least because he has character and works hard.

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
        Now, about Holland, Jackson and Scales going undrafted.

I kid, I kid.
        MUG called it with Scales. I'm still surprised with Holland and Jackson. I'm guessing the character stuff with Jackson (past incidents) was a reason. I have no idea on Holland. Obviously he's not a complete package, but 10+ sacks and the pressures he had on the QB last year was impressive. I thought he had a good year. Good enough to get drafted. Looking through some of the fifth thru seventh round picks and IDK who some of these dudes are.

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
          No offense intended...but even Greek would fail you on a physical.
          What are the rules for ceremonial contracts?

It's too bad wr couldn't have signed barrelman to one before passed.

Comment

It is interesting to note not just the overall character but specifically the work ethic in this draft class.

Consider where the Broncos draft class was evaluated 3-4 years ago when they entered college. Here was how Rivals had them rated:

Chubb - 3 star
            Sutton - 3 star
            Freeman - 4 star
            Yiadom - 3 star
            Jewell - 2 star
            Hamilton - 3 star
            Fumagalli​​ - 3 star
            Jones - 3 star
            Bierria​​ - 3 star
            Williams - 4 star

No five star recruits and only 2-10 four stars. These kids arrived at college and worked themselves into being captains, leaders and NFL draft picks. Interesting as an indivual, remarkable when taken as an entire draft class.

Compare those with the Chiefs for example. Their draft picks were:

Breeland Speaks - 4 star
            Derrick Nnadi - 4 star
            Dorian O’ Daniel - 4 star
            Armani Watts - 4 star

Tremon Smith - N/A
            Kahlil McKenzie - 5 star

or the Chagers:

Derwin James - 5 star
            Uchenna Nwosu - 3 star
            Justin Jones - 4 star
            Kyzir White - 4 star

Scott Quessenberry - 3 star
            Dylan Cantrell - 3 star
            Justin Jackson - 4 star

While I am not suggesting that college entry evaluations can be used to determine success in the NFL like they can for college (I don't think they can in the pros). It is interesting to see draft philosophy through the lens of inital college evaluations. Lots of variables obviously play into the initial eval and the subsequent opportunity and results of the recruit in college (lots of players get 'Sloter-ized'). However as a broad based general approach to determining work ethic, I would place more value on a 3 star recruit that improved himself into a high NFL draft pick over a 4 star like David Williams that didn't take his early God given talents and build on them enough to be worth more than a very late round pick.

The Chiefs selecting a five star recruit in the last round is a perfect example of somebody that I would predict would fail. Great physical toolset but clearly missing something important to be successful at the college and pro levels. GMs that pick guys like this late in the draft seem like just analytics guys to me (the same as some here who try to evaluate the draft from just combine numbers). I would rather bet on a 'hard working beaver' than somebody who won the genetic lottery and did nothing with it after the 12th grade.

I personally think the Bronco locker room was a lot worse than even we know last year. Maybe it was due to the weak ass coaching or letting the inmates run the asylum or just a few guys that jumped the shark. Either way, one thing is certain. The Broncos have selected a draft class built on hard workers and leading by example.

Now about those coaches.....

Comment

Originally posted by MamaMia View Post
              Here's my only issue with the draft..

Last year, we wanted "juice," so we looked for playmaking ability and apparently valued it above anything else. We had lots of injuries, there were rumors of the rookies being immature, whatever.
              I have been hearing this in a lot of the post draft discussions in various media sources after practically every player we picked up was a team captain.

Maybe I wasnt paying attention but can anyone shed light on these rumors about the last years rookies? What did they do?

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot View Post
                I have been hearing this in a lot of the post draft discussions in various media sources after practically every player we picked up was a team captain.

Maybe I wasnt paying attention but can anyone shed light on these rumors about the last years rookies? What did they do?
                Wolfe and a couple other vets came out and said that the rookie class didn't put effort in, seemed to act "entitled".

Comment

I know Derek Wolfe was on The Fan saying the rookies acted entitled last year.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneFishin' View Post
                    I know Derek Wolfe was on The Fan saying the rookies acted entitled last year.
                    Chris Harris, JR pretty much said the same thing about a couple of weeks ago. I don't have any doubt those messages from the vets found their way to the FO.

Comment

I've recently seen comments from Elway about how the lack of character showed once the losing skid started. And to be fair, whatever you think of the coaching staff its clear the players have to share at least some of the blame for collectively losing their s**t.....

As others have said its not about having goody-two-shoes milk monitor types its about having the character to overcome adversity during the season. When the going gets tough do you knuckle down, or give up and start blaming everyone else? Its easy to forget we actually had a good start to the season and everything looked rosy up untill the bye....

Comment

Working...
                      X