X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be glad you're not a Ravens fan!

Because that would mean, you might be living here!!:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opi...330-story.html

With the U.S. Census Bureau reporting yet another year of population loss for the city, it doesn’t take an investigator to determine the causes.
    The city’s scary record of 343 homicides in 2017 affirms the city’s well-known reputation as a dangerous place to live. Even if 2018 has fewer homicides, it doesn’t take a fortune teller to predict that this year’s homicide rate will be high. Until the city substantially reduces its homicide and other crimes rates, people will continue to view the city as dangerous and be reluctant to stay or move here.
    The city’s outrageous property tax of $2.248 per $100 of a property’s assessed value is more than double of its surrounding jurisdictions: Baltimore County, $1.10, and Anne Arundel 90.7 cents. The city’s burdensome property tax on homeowners explains why the city has more renters than homeowners.
    The city’s high income tax is 3.2 percent, the maximum allowed by law.
    The city’s public school system is a disaster. Last year, some of the schools had zero students who were proficient in math.
    The mayor and the large part-time City Council are fiscally irresponsible. They accepted a raise in December, even though the city faces major financial troubles. The mayor gets paid around $180,000, the city council president $119,000, the City Council vice president $77,000, and the 13 others each $69,000 — plus all have benefits and all have paid support staff.

Just happened to see this article and didn't realize how bad it was there. Is it really that bad or is this article embellishing a bit?

Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, Birmingham, Los Angeles, NYC all have violent crime issues.

Wouldn't say the article is embellishing.

Comment

You could've learned all of that from watching The Wire.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSojia View Post
        You could've learned all of that from watching The Wire.
        Lol, yeah, I had the exact same reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
          Lol, yeah, I had the exact same reaction.
          I have never seen that, nor the shield.
          Always meant to watch but never got around to it.

Comment

Being a guy from Wyoming I have never understood the drive to live in large Urban areas. Especially in today's world where face to face is unnecessary for many jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug View Post
              Being a guy from Wyoming I have never understood the drive to live in large Urban areas. Especially in today's world where face to face is unnecessary for many jobs.
              People love to cluster and socialize.

Comment

Baltimore- The Sexually Transmitted Disease Capital of the U.S. . True. Don't ask how I know.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseHead View Post
                  Baltimore- The Sexually Transmitted Disease Capital of the U.S. . True. Don't ask how I know.
                  No condoms, no concern.

I legit don't see how dudes just run around slinging it everywhere and don't wear a condom.
                  That's disgusting.

Comment

You're telling me...i live here

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
                      Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, Birmingham, Los Angeles, NYC all have violent crime issues.

You should check your facts - NYC is one of the safer cities in the US. It doesn’t even crack the top 25?30? in murder per last time I checked, a few years ago. Giuliani and Bloom really cleaned the place up.

Just saying that’s all, common mistake to lump it in with other big cities.

Comment

I have never seen that, nor the shield.
                        Always meant to watch but never got around to it.
                        The Wire may be the best television drama ever. If it's not the best, it's certainly one of the best (only Sopranos and Breaking Bad are possibly better, IMO). But it's a commitment, and it's not for everyone.

Comment

NYC is actually extremely safe for a city of its size. From what I remember reading the worst big cities in terms of crime are New Orleans, St Louis and Baltimore. Chicago and Detroit have unfair reputations when it comes to crime.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug View Post
                            Proximity to culture and the exchange of ideas. Also, the smartest and most talented people tend to congregate in cities because you still need a fixed location to find each other, to find opportunities or create them.

Telepresence both professionally and for socializing could change this significantly.

Comment

Bodymore, Murdaland

I wouldn't live anywhere outside of Federal Hill, Harbor East/Fells Point, or Canton inside the city limits.

Comment

Working...
                              X