Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, am I just imagining more commercial breaks this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, am I just imagining more commercial breaks this year?

Because, it sure feels like there have been substantially more. Particularly the Sunday night game against the Colts that was nearly unwatchable for the first Quarter. The odd numbered quarters seem to be worse as the networks appear to take any excuse to go to commercial and fulfill whatever quota they have sold the advertisers. Once the backlog is cleared out, the even numbered quarters seem to get a better ratio, but even they can get pretty bad. For me, it's killing a lot of the enjoyment of watching live football.

it was brutal yesterday..

Comment

NFL Redzone FTW! Well, except night games... I just have the Bronco game on, then 703 and hit the old "previous channel" button, a lot!

Comment

all the fake injuries didn't help

Comment

I don't think so (SNF seems to allow for the 3 minute commercial while day games don't though).

I just hate the 2 commercial breaks sandwiched around a touchback kickoff.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
            I don't think so (SNF seems to allow for the 3 minute commercial while day games don't though).

I just hate the 2 commercial breaks sandwiched around a touchback kickoff.
            The worse is when it is a touchback kickoff 12 seconds before the end of a quarter. So you get Break, Kickoff, Break, One snap, Break. Those drive me crazy.

Comment

It's absolutely amazing how fast you can fly through a game if you dvr it and fast forward through the commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post
                It's absolutely amazing how fast you can fly through a game if you dvr it and fast forward through the commercials.
                I can't think of the last time (other than NFL games) I watch "live TV" anymore. I may watch a show the same day it originally airs, but I'll wait 20 minutes if it is an hour long just so I can skip past commercials, and end up catching up to the actual ending about the same time it is actually ending.

Comment

The reason we get hit with all the commercials is because we are the national game. I live in Chicago and have got all but the Jag game on broadcast TV this year. I only needed to use my Sunday ticket for the Jags game or watching kFc games.

In the Jag game there were a lot less breaks because the viewing audience was smaller. The advertizers want to reach the most people for their $ so they flood the big market "games of the week" and then to line up their half time shows they blow through the other games so they go on 1st.

If it has gone up it has been only slightly.

It is fun watching the games from the 70's even into the 90's those fly by with less commercials and they would stay with a downed player. Now everytime a guy goes down they look to send it to a 2-3 commercial break.

Comment

There were a lot of injury time outs. They just cut right to commercial during those anymore. Just a few years ago you'd watch the trainers try and work on a guy and get him off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by hades View Post
                      I can't think of the last time (other than NFL games) I watch "live TV" anymore. I may watch a show the same day it originally airs, but I'll wait 20 minutes if it is an hour long just so I can skip past commercials, and end up catching up to the actual ending about the same time it is actually ending.
                      Yep. TV sucks anyway. There are very few new shows that I like, and the old ones that I enjoyed watching growing up have been butchered to squeeze in more commercials. I was watching an episode of The Andy Griffith Show on TV Land a while back and the running time was 17 minutes after removing the commercials. When that episode originally aired it was 25 minutes long. Watching shows liek the Twilight Zone of Sci-Fi are the same story; entire scenes are removed, critical lines of dialog are chopped out etc. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Roughly 1/3 of a game is commercials. Here's how the other 2/3 are spent:

Last edited by Blart; 10-28-2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
                          The worse is when it is a touchback kickoff 12 seconds before the end of a quarter. So you get Break, Kickoff, Break, One snap, Break. Those drive me crazy.
                          I think last week there was a commercial break 8 seconds before the 2 min warning.

Comment

At halftime, they said they were going to the local news. They went to ten minutes of commercials. It's getting totally out of control.

Comment

DVR for the win! Starting it on an hour delay makes the tv ad pain go away. It also makes for awkward moments when you jump on the game thread and forget you're on delay. bwahahahaa.

Comment

Working...
                              X