Denver is the most logical fit for Jared Allen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver is the most logical fit for Jared Allen

That leaves Denver and New England. They have $6.7 million and $5.9 million in cap room, respectively. Those teams could, theoretically, restructure contracts of existing players to fit Allen under the salary cap for the rest of the season without having to give him a new contract.

For Denver, the obvious move would be to restructure quarterback Peyton Manning’s contract again. The team did that in May, giving Manning a $10 million salary advance and leaving him with a $15 million base salary for this season. If the Broncos guaranteed another $4 million to Manning, they could reduce his cap number enough to fit Allen.

The Broncos make the most logical sense because they are currently using former linebacker Shaun Phillips at right defensive end. Allen would be an upgrade and would allow the Broncos to use Phillips as a sub in multiple spots. More importantly, Allen would pair well with linebacker Von Miller, who usually lines up on the left side of the defense, opposite where Allen plays.

Former Denver right defensive end Elvis Dumervil benefitted from playing opposite Miller. Dumervil had 20.5 sacks in two seasons playing with Miller.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...red-Allen.html

Originally posted by Bronco Rob View Post

Former Denver right defensive end Elvis Dumervil benefitted from playing opposite Miller. Dumervil had 20.5 sacks in two seasons playing with Miller.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...red-Allen.html

...what? doom was pretty good without Miller

Comment

I'd love this move...

Comment

That would be pretty cool. Right now, I think he is an annoying twit. However, my mind could be changed if he was playing for the good guys...

Comment

One can dream

Comment

Allen would have to majorly restructure his deal for it to be a possibility. Broncos are not going to ask Manning to restructure his deal, to sign a 31 year old defensive end in the last year of his deal.

If Allen wants to win a title and that's worth giving up $6-8 million to him, then fine

Comment

Originally posted by rolandftw View Post
              Allen would have to majorly restructure his deal for it to be a possibility. Broncos are not going to ask Manning to restructure his deal, to sign a 31 year old defensive end in the last year of his deal.

If Allen wants to win a title and that's worth giving up $6-8 million to him, then fine
              Well he's due 7 million, so you think he should just go Pro Bono?

Comment

Originally posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
                Well, $6-8 may be too much but would think he's still going to have to take a big cut to come here

Comment

Originally posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
                  7 mil is ½ of his contract ? He is being paid 14 mil this season wow. That is why doom is pissed about being restructured

Comment

Genus going to make less than half that next year. Give him a 2 year extension at 5 a year and make his 7 a signing bonus. 3 seasons 17 million.

Comment

Look at it this way. If Denver makes the trade and gives up maybe a 4th rounder-they could possibly recoup that choice as a compensatory pick in 2014 if Allen signed elsewhere during the offseason. . Correct me if I'm wrong, but MIN would lose the right to the possible comp pick since they are accepting a possible pick , if they trade him.

Comment

Many folks here are infinitely more informed on the cap than me, but it just looks to me like the salary #'s can't work even if Minnesota is wiling to part with Allen, and they have said time and again, they aren't trading Allen.

Comment

Nah, Allen would only be taking snaps away from Phillips/Ayers and those guys are playing well enough to get the job done.

What this defense is really lacking is a center field safety who can actually defend against the pass and prevent some of the big pass plays we've been giving up.

Comment

Is this like the Deangello thread last year?

Bronco Rob do you know a guy, who knows a guy that insists this is all but done?

Comment

Shaun Philips has more sacks this year than Jared Allen. True story.

Comment

Working...
                              X