No announcement yet.

5th Year Option For Ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping a desperate team comes calling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
      The realest post in this thread.
      Guy is always going for sacks and gives up his responsibility in the run game. He doesn't get many sacks either.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
        Guy is always going for sacks and gives up his responsibility in the run game. He doesn't get many sacks either.
        According to whom?

He was projected to have a great year last year, but he got injured.

Comment

• This is a smart move. Let Ray and Barrett play out this year and see which one they want to keep. Or it could be a situation where they keep the guy willing to accept a cheaper contract, kinda like they did with Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson.

Comment

• I love Shane. Dude is alpha.

Shane Ray for kevin white? Who says no?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vottomatic19 View Post
              This is a smart move. Let Ray and Barrett play out this year and see which one they want to keep. Or it could be a situation where they keep the guy willing to accept a cheaper contract, kinda like they did with Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson.
              Yep. Declining the option doesn't mean they can't negotiate a new contract for Ray.

Invest in the best one of the two after it sorts itself out.

Comment

• Originally posted by peacepipe View Post
                When has there been a problem with lack of motivation when it comes to Ray?
                That isn't what I was suggesting. I'm saying, he's playing for a contract now. That tends to motivate players like nothing else.

Comment

• Originally posted by yerner View Post
                  I love Shane. Dude is alpha.

Shane Ray for kevin white? Who says no?
                  I say no.

Comment

• I like having this problem.

Pass on his 5th year option, make him play to earn a contract. Have Chubb start over him to prove to him he is worth backup money, if he pays off then sign him long term, if he doesn't then wait and get a 3rd round pick. I doubt they could do better than that now anyway. Use him up this year on a contract year and then take the comp pick when he moves on.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncosteven View Post
                      I like having this problem.

Pass on his 5th year option, make him play to earn a contract. Have Chubb start over him to prove to him he is worth backup money, if he pays off then sign him long term, if he doesn't then wait and get a 3rd round pick. I doubt they could do better than that now anyway. Use him up this year on a contract year and then take the comp pick when he moves on.
                      They're not gonna pay him after drafting Chubb, hope they could somehow sign Barrett to a long-term deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by peacepipe View Post
                        According to whom?

He was projected to have a great year last year, but he got injured.
                        He was projected to be an all pro pass rusher but he isn't.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As <a href="https://twitter.com/Jeff_Legwold?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Jeff_Legwold</a> noted, the Broncos declining Shane Ray’s fifth year shouldn’t be perceived as a negative thing. He’ll get to soon choose where he wants to play and he’ll get to negotiate a longer-term contract a year earlier than he would otherwise.</p>&mdash; Nicki Jhabvala (@NickiJhabvala) <a href="https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/991775814537699328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 2, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• It not hard to figure why Shane’s option wasn’t exercised. The fifth year option isn’t that cheap. We’ll already be paying Von QB money plus Chubb top 5 money. Similar reason to why they released Talib with Roby in his option year (too much money tied up in one position).

As far as why not trade him, not hard to figure out. He can help NOW on what is NOW a cheap deal. Front offices have to balance present/future. Unless someone was offering a second round pick, better to keep him for his value this season. Get a third round comp later.

Comment

Working...
                            X