No announcement yet.

The Myth of Playoff Peyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all made fun of manning when he was with Colts. He was labelled as "Choker" that couldn't win big games.
    I always believe that his teams somehow doesn't have luck(kicker missing FGs, last year game etc).Added to that, manning doesn't help the team in overcoming the mistakes like he used to do in regular season games(INT against saints in SB, Last year INT to name a few).
    He is similar to Marty teams where they will find a way to lose games in playoffs.
    That's my opinion. Many here criticize that i want Elway to cut manning. the above are the reasons. Last year playoff loss is devastating to us. Imagine, how colts would have felt having those type of loses every year.

There is a reason why most of them say manning struggles in big games or doesn't help the team to overcome the mistakes.

That being said, I firmly believe we are going to be 2013 SB champs.

Comment

If only we knew about QBs that carried their teams to the Super Bowl. It goes with the position, I understand it but the QB takes the win/loss blame and it's not really that fair.

I'd bet Marino would trade every record for Manning's playoff record.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
        you totally missed the point, didn't you. No one is saying he's perfect but it's a myth to say he sucks in the playoffs. There's a big difference.
        you are missing the point..He doesn't elevate his game in playoffs.
        That's how i felt when he was with colts and that's how i feel now.

Comment

Originally posted by go_broncos View Post
          We all made fun of manning when he was with Colts. He was labelled as "Choker" that couldn't win big games.
          I always believe that his teams somehow doesn't have luck(kicker missing FGs, last year game etc).Added to that, manning doesn't help the team in overcoming the mistakes like he used to do in regular season games(INT against saints in SB, Last year INT to name a few).
          He is similar to Marty teams where they will find a way to lose games in playoffs.
          That's my opinion. Many here criticize that i want Elway to cut manning. the above are the reasons. Last year playoff loss is devastating to us. Imagine, how colts would have felt having those type of loses every year.

There is a reason why most of them say manning struggles in big games or doesn't help the team to overcome the mistakes.

If Manning had no SB rings (like Elway before winning the first championship) then maybe there's some substance to saying he sucks in the playoffs. Point is, he's had quite a few very close losses and while he is like many QBs in the playoffs who are not 100% perfect all the time, it's simply not true to say he's the reason his teams lost in the playoffs.

Comment

Superbowls are hard to win. Only a handful of teams have made it look easy and won 2-3-4 of them etc. Manning still better then Jim Kelly, Marino, Fouts and those guys were great qbs. It's just when you go down in the playoffs you rarely look awesome doing it. Sometimes but usual the Qb is going to take that heat.

Comment

you are missing the point..He doesn't elevate his game in playoffs.
              That's how i felt when he was with colts and that's how i feel now.
              that's debatable, it's a team game and if Rahim Moore and the Broncos defense play even a little better than Manning doesn't have that INT. It's really pretty simple stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
                If only we knew about QBs that carried their teams to the Super Bowl. It goes with the position, I understand it but the QB takes the win/loss blame and it's not really that fair.

I'd bet Marino would trade every record for Manning's playoff record.
                I'm sure guys like Jim Kelly, Marino, Fouts, and some others think about it all the time. How they kicked ass in the NFL but just couldnt get it done as a team.

We should thank our lucky stars Elway not in that group and we got a couple rings. After losing 4 superbowls it was getting tough. What Colts fans went through is nothing, 1 superbowl win, one loss and some early playoff exits? Hell that is childs play compared to what our team went through.

Comment

Originally posted by mwill07 View Post
                  In playoff games decided by a kick (i.e game was won or lost on a FG in the last 5 minutes or OT):

Manning (0-5) - QB rating: 91.1
                  Brady (6-0) - QB rating: 73.8

Each and every time Manning put his team in position to win, his kicker missed. Each and every time his opponent put themselves in position to win, their kicker converted.

Each and every time Brady put his team in position to win, his kicker converted. Each and every time his opponent put themselves in position to win, his kicker missed.

If Brady had equal luck with playoff kicking game as Manning, he would have a 9-9 playoff record with one SB win (2004), one SB loss (2007), and no other championship game appearances.

The difference in playoff perception between Manning and Brady was written by Mike Vanderjagt, Nate Kaeding, Adam Vinateri, Nick Folk, Stephen Gotskowski, Justin Tucker, and Billy Cundiff.
                  Idiot Kickers!

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
                    that's debatable, it's a team game and if Rahim Moore and the Broncos defense play even a little better than Manning doesn't have that INT. It's really pretty simple stuff.
                    As i said, i always compare manning to Marty.
                    Very little luck in playoffs.

Comment

In playoff games decided by a kick (i.e game was won or lost on a FG in the last 5 minutes or OT):

Each and every time Manning put his team in position to win, his kicker missed. Each and every time his opponent put themselves in position to win, their kicker converted.

Each and every time Brady put his team in position to win, his kicker converted. Each and every time his opponent put themselves in position to win, his kicker missed.

If Brady had equal luck with playoff kicking game as Manning, he would have a 9-9 playoff record with one SB win (2004), one SB loss (2007), and no other championship game appearances.

The difference in playoff perception between Manning and Brady was written by Mike Vanderjagt, Nate Kaeding, Adam Vinateri, Nick Folk, Stephen Gotskowski, Justin Tucker, and Billy Cundiff.

Where is this from?

Comment

i want Elway to cut manning. the above are the reasons.

I'm confused. How can you make both statements?

Comment

Originally posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
                          Manning had 145 yds in sb against Chic. The bears has 6 TO's in that game. I guess the pick in NO SB by Manning or pick in OT against Ravens was someone elses fault at all well even if other factors happened his goofs lost the games at the end. Manning plays tighter in playoffs. If he faced anybody but, Denver in playoffs his 1st round exits would be even worse. I enjoy Peyton here and hope we win a ring or two but, sorry if my confidence isn't sky high as it should be come playoff time.

This is one reason I wish we could bolster D by tues he needs all the help he can get.
                          John Elway sucked ass in Super Bowl 32. Who cares?

Comment

If you want Elway to CUT Manning because of the reasons above, you're a bigger idiot than i thought you were.

Comment

Interesting counter from another source..
                              I can confirm, that statistic is full of **** and not even accurate. I just went back through every playoff loss Manning has suffered, and unless there's something I don't know about the Titans game in his first playoff loss, this guy is an idiot. The only ones that have a chance of making any sense are the ones in bold, but even those have serious questions about them and what this guy is counting.

1999: No FG under five minutes occurred.

2000: Against the Dolphins, Vanderjagt actually kicked an FG with 5:01 to go in the game to put the Colts up 7. No FG under five minutes occurred there.

2002: Not even worth mentioning. This was a 41-0 thrashing of a Manning led team.

2003: Vinatieri (Patriots at the time) kicked a FG with 0:51 remaining in the game, but the Patriots were up by seven points before that kick. This made it a ten point game. No FG's were attempted by the Colts that game.

2004: No FG's or scores occurred within the final five minutes against the Patriots. No FG attempts occurred either.

2005: Vanderjagt missed a 46 yards FG with under a minute tog go in the game to lose 21-18. However, the Colts had been down 11 points with under five minutes to go, so they were trying to comeback. Manning had them in a hole that game.

2007: The only scoring that occurred under five minutes to play was a run by Billy Volek. The only FG missed that day was by Nate Kaeding.

2008: Nate Kaeding kicked a FG with under a minute to go to send the game to over-time. Sproles ended the game on a run for a TD.

2009: Super Bowl loss by 14 points. No FG's were made or attempted under five minutes left in the game.

2010: Here's another misleading one. The Colts kicked a FG with :57 left in the game to take the lead. However, the Jets kicked one with three seconds left to get the win. Somehow this guy must be completely ignoring that the Colts kicked a FG for the lead under five minutes to go, but just couldn't hold the lead.

2012: The only scoring done inn the final five minutes of the game was a TD to Jacoby Jones. The Ravens did kick a FG in over-time, which was SECOND over-time (not under five minutes left), and that was right after the Manning INT.
                              Again, not my response.

Comment

Here's another article (from Jan 2013) along similar lines to the one in the OP.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...or-help/20868/

Comment

Working...
                                X