The Myth of Playoff Peyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Myth of Playoff Peyton

Yes, Manning does have a losing record in the playoffs for his career (though only eight have had more wins, but who has time to split hairs?). The next time Manning loses a playoff game will give him the record for most career playoff losses, and fairly or not, that will always be a part of his legacy.

Most rational fans realize that Peyton has only thrown up a handful of postseason clunkers, and that such a small sample size should not significantly affect his standing as an all-time great. They might defend by saying, "Yeah, Peyton's been a bit worse in the playoffs, but his regular-season numbers are so great that it doesn't matter."

Actually, even that statement would be false. What people fail to realize is that Peyton has not been any worse in the postseason. In fact, one could make a fairly convincing argument that he's been one of the two or three best playoff quarterbacks of this generation.

To illustrate this point, let's take off our "Embrace Debate" hats and let the numbers tell the story...
    Read the rest here: http://www.advancednflstats.com/2013...ff-peyton.html

Ive long thought the "peyton is bad in the playoffs" was a bit of a dumb guy argument. I didn't need all those advanced metrics to even tell me that, though its nice that it supports the theory.

a) It's hard to win football games against good teams.
    b) It's especially hard to do that as an individual when 1) you're not on the field half the game and 2) you must rely on 10 other guys to do their job correctly, as well, when youre on the field..
    c) His playoff record is still a small sample size, where a few aberrations can skew the perception (look no further than Rahim Moore! If he makes that play, Peyton walks out of that game with a 100+ rating and a win). Football has thousands of variables in each game, more than any other sport, that shift a game's momentum/result, etc.
    d) If the dumb tuck rule doesn't exist, and Marlon McCree just takes a knee after a game clinching interception a few years later, Brady's post season might look very similar to Peyton's.
    e) If the Saints don't recover that onsides kick to start the second half of Super Bowl whatever, do the Colts go on to win that game? If they do and Peyton wins 2 super bowls, whats the perception of him then?

Comment

In playoff games decided by a kick (i.e game was won or lost on a FG in the last 5 minutes or OT):

Manning (0-5) - QB rating: 91.1
      Brady (6-0) - QB rating: 73.8

Each and every time Manning put his team in position to win, his kicker missed. Each and every time his opponent put themselves in position to win, their kicker converted.

Each and every time Brady put his team in position to win, his kicker converted. Each and every time his opponent put themselves in position to win, his kicker missed.

If Brady had equal luck with playoff kicking game as Manning, he would have a 9-9 playoff record with one SB win (2004), one SB loss (2007), and no other championship game appearances.

The difference in playoff perception between Manning and Brady was written by Mike Vanderjagt, Nate Kaeding, Adam Vinateri, Nick Folk, Stephen Gotskowski, Justin Tucker, and Billy Cundiff.

Comment

Nice post mwill07, and it's a big reason Vinateri was signed by the Colts...

Comment

Originally posted by mwill07 View Post
          In playoff games decided by a kick (i.e game was won or lost on a FG in the last 5 minutes or OT):

Each and every time Manning put his team in position to win, his kicker missed. Each and every time his opponent put themselves in position to win, their kicker converted.

Each and every time Brady put his team in position to win, his kicker converted. Each and every time his opponent put themselves in position to win, his kicker missed.

If Brady had equal luck with playoff kicking game as Manning, he would have a 9-9 playoff record with one SB win (2004), one SB loss (2007), and no other championship game appearances.

The difference in playoff perception between Manning and Brady was written by Mike Vanderjagt, Nate Kaeding, Adam Vinateri, Nick Folk, Stephen Gotskowski, Justin Tucker, and Billy Cundiff.
          That's fascinating stuff.

Comment

Every Bronco fan knows that Manning can crush in the playoffs. Painful memories

Comment

I'm stealing this, just FYI. Rep!

Comment

Originally posted by Blart View Post
                Every Bronco fan knows that Manning can crush in the playoffs. Painful memories
                One of the reasons we traded for Champ actually, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
                  One of the reasons we traded for Champ actually, isn't it?
                  Yeah that definitely got the job done

Comment

Except for last year when his INT directly contributed to the other team kicking the game ending FG.

Comment

Originally posted by LRtagger View Post
                      Except for last year when his INT directly contributed to the other team kicking the game ending FG.
                      Just stop. Manning didn't lose that game for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
                        Just stop. Manning didn't lose that game for us.
                        I didn't say he did. But we didn't miss a kick while their kicker made one. That's all I was saying.

Our defense lost that game, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by LRtagger View Post
                          I didn't say he did. But we didn't miss a kick while their kicker made one. That's all I was saying.

Our defense lost that game, obviously.
                          Good point. Between defense and being out coached, yeah.

/sadpanda

Comment

Manning had 145 yds in sb against Chic. The bears has 6 TO's in that game. I guess the pick in NO SB by Manning or pick in OT against Ravens was someone elses fault at all well even if other factors happened his goofs lost the games at the end. Manning plays tighter in playoffs. If he faced anybody but, Denver in playoffs his 1st round exits would be even worse. I enjoy Peyton here and hope we win a ring or two but, sorry if my confidence isn't sky high as it should be come playoff time.

This is one reason I wish we could bolster D by tues he needs all the help he can get.
                            Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
                              Manning had 145 yds in sb against Chic. The bears has 6 TO's in that game. I guess the pick in NO SB by Manning or pick in OT against Ravens was someone elses fault. Manning plays tighter in playoffs. If he faced anybody but, Denver in playoffs his 1st round exits would be even worse. I enjoy Peyton here and hope we win a ring or two but, sorry if my confidence isn't sky high as it should be come playoff time.
                              you totally missed the point, didn't you. No one is saying he's perfect but it's a myth to say he sucks in the playoffs. There's a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X