Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manning

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Manning

    Rarely ever post - but after watching the game last night, I really think this game was very tough for Manning from a mental aspect. I understand he has to put the past behind him, but he is only human. To go back to the place were all your memories are, in a stadium that you help built, in front of the fans that adored you, in a city where you became a man, I just think the emotions were tough to handle. I don't think he had any animosity to go back and want to defeat the team that let him go, but rather a mentality that he wanted to end his career there and sad that it didn't happen that way. I think the emotions of the game and moment were too much. After the game he alluded to the fact that he was glad it was over. I cannot think of another instance where a player of Manning's caliber, went back and played where he played his entire career. I know Favre went back, but I think the situation was a little different with Favre's attitude and perception. Not quite sure if Montana ever went back to SF.

    I do feel that this was a hurdle that is over with, and moving forward I don't think it will affect his play. I think the team will be fine.

  • #2
    Denver was still in the game. The OJ whiff and HIllman fumbling killed Denver.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by maven View Post
      Denver was still in the game. The OJ whiff and HIllman fumbling killed Denver.
      We win the game if hillman doesnt fumble. Kinda hard to win a game when you lose the turnover battle 1-4.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, Manning was emotionally rattled. I really felt like pass protection (or lack thereof) is a better explanation for his struggles in the 2nd & 3rd quarters though. Our patchwork O-line couldn't hold up too well against one of the best pass rushers in the game right now. He started clicking much better in the 4th, but Indy was probably playing a bit more prevent style D since they were up by 2 scores. I'll have to go back and watch the all-22 film to be sure though.

        Overall, yeah, emotions played a role but not as much as our injuries on both sides of the ball did, IMO.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think if Manning let his emotions effect his play, we got the wrong guy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jpmclane View Post
            Rarely ever post - but after watching the game last night, I really think this game was very tough for Manning from a mental aspect. I understand he has to put the past behind him, but he is only human. To go back to the place were all your memories are, in a stadium that you help built, in front of the fans that adored you, in a city where you became a man, I just think the emotions were tough to handle. I don't think he had any animosity to go back and want to defeat the team that let him go, but rather a mentality that he wanted to end his career there and sad that it didn't happen that way. I think the emotions of the game and moment were too much. After the game he alluded to the fact that he was glad it was over. I cannot think of another instance where a player of Manning's caliber, went back and played where he played his entire career. I know Favre went back, but I think the situation was a little different with Favre's attitude and perception. Not quite sure if Montana ever went back to SF.

            I do feel that this was a hurdle that is over with, and moving forward I don't think it will affect his play. I think the team will be fine.
            An honest moment from Manning. Somehow he believes next time will be easier and was relieved it was over

            Can't remember ever Manning saying he was relieved after a loss.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
              I think if Manning let his emotions effect his play, we got the wrong guy.
              I dunno, I think this is BS. We were up 14-10. If it was the "emotions" of the game, it woulda affected him at the beginning, not the end. I'd say the constant pressure was more a factor.

              Comment


              • #8
                It looked like he was grimacing on the sideline when he was tossing the ball around. Injury may have had something to do with it. Crap o-line play didnt help either.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
                  I dunno, I think this is BS. We were up 14-10. If it was the "emotions" of the game, it woulda affected him at the beginning, not the end. I'd say the constant pressure was more a factor.
                  Yea, I don't necessarily agree they did. I was just saying if they did as OP surmised it would reflect poorly

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Any info on Mannings health? Hearing he's hurt?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      manning's the same as he ever was. when he gets hit (and he did get hit a lot last night), he gets jittery in the pocket. when he gets jittery, he becomes inaccurate and his throws float. there was a lot of action at his feet, which would make any pocket qb restless. bottom line is that we must a)correct the protection and b)the wr's need to win their one on one battles. welker was the only one that seemed to be playing with intensity.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
                        manning's the same as he ever was. when he gets hit (and he did get hit a lot last night), he gets jittery in the pocket. when he gets jittery, he becomes inaccurate and his throws float. there was a lot of action at his feet, which would make any pocket qb restless. bottom line is that we must a)correct the protection and b)the wr's need to win their one on one battles. welker was the only one that seemed to be playing with intensity.
                        Someone said on another board that he's injured. Haven't seen it here so I don't think that's true.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jpmclane View Post
                          Rarely ever post - but after watching the game last night, I really think this game was very tough for Manning from a mental aspect. I understand he has to put the past behind him, but he is only human. To go back to the place were all your memories are, in a stadium that you help built, in front of the fans that adored you, in a city where you became a man, I just think the emotions were tough to handle. I don't think he had any animosity to go back and want to defeat the team that let him go, but rather a mentality that he wanted to end his career there and sad that it didn't happen that way. I think the emotions of the game and moment were too much. After the game he alluded to the fact that he was glad it was over. I cannot think of another instance where a player of Manning's caliber, went back and played where he played his entire career. I know Favre went back, but I think the situation was a little different with Favre's attitude and perception. Not quite sure if Montana ever went back to SF.

                          I do feel that this was a hurdle that is over with, and moving forward I don't think it will affect his play. I think the team will be fine.
                          It was tough on him and you could see in the 1st half especially he was way off compared to how he normally plays. In the first half he threw more passes that were uncatchable than he had in the previous 6 games combined I am pretty sure, and often in single coverage he would just overthrow or underthrow his guy. It is perfectly understandable that it went down that way, it is not easy to go back to a place you loved for so long and called home, playing against guys you have known for 10+ years.

                          Unfortunately this does follow the trend that Manning does tend to buckle in games with extremely high pressure.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                            Any info on Mannings health? Hearing he's hurt?
                            Hearing that where??

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                              Someone said on another board that he's injured. Haven't seen it here so I don't think that's true.

                              The hits he took didn't seem to injure him necessarily, but they surely did something to his psyche and internal clock.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X