Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Reckoning of Irsay

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #1
    solid work, Rev

    Comment


    • #2
      Great breakdown Patrick!

      The same conclusion I came too as well after the Dallas and Jags games. We did an admirable job compensating for the lack of Von and Champ the first 4 games but simply could not keep the lid on the kettle after also losing Woodyard, Ayers and Harris at Dallas, as well as not having even Lenon out there in the Dallas game which combined allowed Romo to have a largely uncontested field day until their last possession when a few adjustments by JDR brought some pressure and a great play by Danny T sealed it.

      HAving Von back will be huge, even if he needs a game or two to get fully in the groove, like Manning his presence will 'float all boats' on Defensive and suddenly we will go from having to really work to bring pressure, to likely being one of the best teams in the league by seasons end at QB pressure/sacks.

      I expect Derek Wolfe to benefit greatly by Von coming back and having both Ayers and Philips as well as Malik Jackson gives us all kinds of flexibility for moving guys up and down the D line and causing fear and trembling for opposing Offenses.

      Woodyard though really has been the lynch pin and his absence was huge the last two games. Hopefully he is 100% good to go for this game and the rest of the season and postseason. We need him badly.

      Champ will make big strides the next two games and its perfect timing for him to come back for three games before the bye, rest up for two weeks and then be locked and loaded for the toughest leg of the schedule.

      The secondary's job will be much easier as well from here on out with Von, Woody and Ayers back.

      Comment


      • #3
        First:

        <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3khTntOxX-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


        Second, I totally agree about Woodyard. I think he makes fewer mental mistakes than Miller (ADHD related?) and he is a more natural leader than Von. That said, when Von marries the mental with his physical talent, there is none better.

        In addition to more screens in general, I'd like to see us start running the ball more. I think that would add a bit of physicality to the offense, toughen up the defense during the week, and give the defense a break during the games.

        Comment


        • #4
          Nice article Pat! I agree with Kaylor in that the Broncos really need to start running the ball more consistently. Screens and shovel passes are nice but lining up with either a single back set or an I formation and pounding the ball for consistent 4-5-10-20 yard gains (third downs into first downs) is where the Broncos offense really needs to improve IMHO. Also, running Hillman to the OUTSIDE on a pitch sweep, to the strong side of the offensive line is necessary to keep defenses honest. Ball is going to be a good RB but he's got to be fed the ball on a more consistent basis.

          Comment


          • #5
            Good article, thanks for answering my question.

            Comment


            • #6
              Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
              I'd like to see us start running the ball more.
              Me too, and you'd think this would be a good week for it considering Indy has allowed the 2nd most rushing yards in the league. That said, Jacksonville has allowed the most and we didn't run all that effectively against them...

              Comment


              • #7
                I watched some highlights of Moreno's runs last game. I don't know, it sorta looks like he's picked up a step. He seems quicker through the holes then in the past. Don't know if he's any faster but maybe just a little more decisive. But he's getting through those gaps faster. Watch his highlights from last week in full speed and comment.

                Great job Rev - thanks for putting the effort in.

                Comment


                • #8
                  PFM could really stick it to him and retire as a Denver Bronco and not a Colt.

                  Comment


                  • #9
                    Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                    I watched some highlights of Moreno's runs last game. I don't know, it sorta looks like he's picked up a step. He seems quicker through the holes then in the past. Don't know if he's any faster but maybe just a little more decisive. But he's getting through those gaps faster. Watch his highlights from last week in full speed and comment.

                    Great job Rev - thanks for putting the effort in.
                    he lost his dancing shoes and has become a more powerful runner

                    Comment


                    • #10
                      Awesome read

                      Comment


                      • #11

                        Comment


                        • #12
                          Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                          Missed this earlier. No, he couldn't, unfortunately.
                          http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...9-b88aa51bca66

                          http://bigstory.ap.org/article/tomli...-bolts-retires

                          http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...a-panther.html

                          http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...ay-retires.ap/

                          Atwater left the Broncos following the 1998 season, signing with the New York Jets as a free agent for his final season in 1999. Atwater played for the New York Jets for one season, then retired. He signed a one-day ceremonial contract with the Broncos before announcing his retirement from football.

                          On March 30, 2010, Elam signed a one-day ceremonial contract with Denver so he could retire as a Bronco.

                          Comment


                          • #13
                            Originally posted by errand View Post
                            http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...9-b88aa51bca66

                            http://bigstory.ap.org/article/tomli...-bolts-retires

                            http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...a-panther.html

                            http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...ay-retires.ap/

                            Atwater left the Broncos following the 1998 season, signing with the New York Jets as a free agent for his final season in 1999. Atwater played for the New York Jets for one season, then retired. He signed a one-day ceremonial contract with the Broncos before announcing his retirement from football.

                            On March 30, 2010, Elam signed a one-day ceremonial contract with Denver so he could retire as a Bronco.
                            You don't go in as a member of a team, which I am guessing is Rev's point.

                            Edit: ****, I can't read either. Sorry.
                            Last edited by Rabb; 10-17-2013, 11:38 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #14
                              Originally posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
                              PFM could really stick it to him and retire as a Denver Bronco and not a Colt.
                              Unfortunately, it would be sticking it more to the Colts fans than Irsay.

                              I think he retires a Colt no matter what. He meant the world to that town.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X