Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standout performers from the worst 16 point victory over the Jags in Broncos history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, it sure sucks to be a fan of a team who plays like crap and still wins by 16.

Oh wait, not!

Comment

I agree with those that are excited that even though we made so many mistakes on offense, we managed 35 pts. Could easily have been 50 if just half the mistakes were gone.

That said, though I know Von's skills will cover up a lot of blown assignments.....I really hope we having so many of them. It's one thing to get beat on a play because of great scheming or even a great athletic play by the opponent. But, to have so many drives kept alive simply do to players not being where they should be/blowing assignments is disheartening.

Here's hoping a healthy Von and Woodyard can cover for the mistakes on the back end for now, and that the mistakes go away after that.

Now then....on to the colts! 6 & 0 and heading back to Peyton's old stomping grounds in a primetime game? Goosebumps I tell ya, goosebumps.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
        2-4 looked pretty bad--hence the dots--but not as bad as 5 and 6.
        Man, we must have been watching different Champs. I thought Harris looked much worse than Bailey. Bailey made some great plays and I recall him making a tackle as the last man on a play that wasn't his assignment that saved us a quick Jax td.

Bailey also wasn't great on his coverage every play, which is fair. But hardly anyone was yesterday.

Comment

How much of our coverage's being called are due to our lack of pass rush?

Comment

There was only one guy on the Jags the Broncos had to cover: Justin Blackmon. He had 14 receptions for 190 yards. This week, we're going up against Reggie Wayne, Fleener, Heyward-Bey and Hilton. I'm already over the Jags game, but I wonder if it has something instructive to say about our future games?

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
              There was only one guy on the Jags the Broncos had to cover: Justin Blackmon. He had 14 receptions for 190 yards. This week, we're going up against Reggie Wayne, Fleener, Heyward-Bey and Hilton. I'm already over the Jags game, but I wonder if it has something instructive to say about our future games?
              Instructive? Absolutely.

To wit: JDR, pull thy head from betwixt thy ass cheeks and double up on a brother that is torching thine nickel and dime packages.

Comment

Manning stood out for playing by far the worst game this year. He didn't look in sync with his receivers, his wasn't reading the coverage that well and had a lot of dump passes and quick slants where guys got hammered. The first snap exchange fumble didn't look good on him, the second one he couldn't do that much about those snaps were very low and that is something Ramirez needs to address.

Malik Jackson stood out, he is really coming on from that inside pass rush spot. With Miller and Philips on the outside and Jackson and either Wolfe or Ayers at DT that is a lot of pressure from the DL in passing situations.

Wesley Woodyard stood out too, it is remarkable how big of a dropoff there was between what I would expect him to do and what Paris Lenon did. It is like ordering a burger with a home made bun, Kobe fillet beef, home smoked thick bacon, double aged cheddar slices and getting a big mac instead. It may be roughly the same thing, but in every aspect it is much worse.

Moreno, gotta give some more props to this kid. He had 2 drops that he should have caught, but other than that he is right now one of the 5 best RBs in the league. He leads the league in rushing TDs and has as many rushing TDs as Jamaal Charles, Darren Mcfadden and Ryan Mathews combined.

Comment

Originally posted by gyldenlove View Post
                  Manning stood out for playing by far the worst game this year. He didn't look in sync with his receivers, his wasn't reading the coverage that well and had a lot of dump passes and quick slants where guys got hammered. The first snap exchange fumble didn't look good on him, the second one he couldn't do that much about those snaps were very low and that is something Ramirez needs to address.

Malik Jackson stood out, he is really coming on from that inside pass rush spot. With Miller and Philips on the outside and Jackson and either Wolfe or Ayers at DT that is a lot of pressure from the DL in passing situations.

Wesley Woodyard stood out too, it is remarkable how big of a dropoff there was between what I would expect him to do and what Paris Lenon did. It is like ordering a burger with a home made bun, Kobe fillet beef, home smoked thick bacon, double aged cheddar slices and getting a big mac instead. It may be roughly the same thing, but in every aspect it is much worse.

Moreno, gotta give some more props to this kid. He had 2 drops that he should have caught, but other than that he is right now one of the 5 best RBs in the league. He leads the league in rushing TDs and has as many rushing TDs as Jamaal Charles, Darren Mcfadden and Ryan Mathews combined.
                  I've got to agree with this. When Peyton threw that dump-off and led Moreno into the safety, who stuck him as hard as I've seen a hit lately, AND Moreno hung onto the ball and didn't look or gripe or change his game a bit!
                  I give him props as a stand out and stand up player and this is not his first game this year with great performance and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                    How much of our coverage's being called are due to our lack of pass rush?
                    That's the question. We haven't generated much of a pass rush the last few games and our secondary is hung out to dry because of it.

Comment

The sky-is-falling whiney bunch crying out? Let's be happy with the W, remember, even the '98 team had a few wins like this one ... Cincy, New England.

Personally, I don't care what numbers Blackmon or Romo or anybody else put up, I am bullish on this defense. Robert Ayers and Malik Jackson are so solid, had Elvis stayed he might be playing on passing downs only ... Knighton and Vickerson must be playing well, we lead the league in run defense. Champ is easing back in, Woodyard to follow, and next week we're in Luck: Von will step up our pass rush a few levels. And can't forget DRC - quietly our best defender thus far.

Comment

Sorry to break it to you, but he didn't have a good game. He's been hurt and hasn't played in a while and was right back in his LCB spot, so it's COMPLETELY understandable, but I'm not going to pad some [arbitrary and meaningless] ranking based on excuses.
                        Suprisingly, you didn't follow up your point with anything of substance.

Question, What corner had the most pass deflections in the game yesterday?

Also after watching the game again, there were times the Henne and WR tried to bait Champ Bailey into biting on a fake and Champ didn't bite by staying with his assignment. He looked good, and even the commentators said so. Champ had one play where he didn't cover and tackle Blackmon on a crossing route that went for 32 yards. Extremely hard to do to with a guy of Blackmons speed and size as noted by the fact that the rest of our secondary had troubles against him.

Comment

Originally posted by 24champ View Post

Question, What corner had the most pass deflections in the game yesterday?

Also after watching the game again, there were times the Henne and WR tried to bait Champ Bailey into biting on a fake and Champ didn't bite by staying with his assignment. He looked good, and even the commentators said so. Champ had one play where he didn't cover and tackle Blackmon on a crossing route that went for 32 yards. Extremely hard to do to with a guy of Blackmons speed and size as noted by the fact that the rest of our secondary had troubles against him.
                          Here's what I saw of Champ:

Targets and Completions
                          1 and 1 on Blackmon. Got picked by another WR across the middle resulted in long catch and run 1st quarter
                          2 and 2 end of 1stQ sideline route good throw by Henne, completion.
                          3 and 3 short pass for 1st down 2nd Quarter after Denver's first fumble (Blackmon)
                          4 and 3 pass behind WR and champ almost intercepted in red zone
                          5 and 3 pass too far ahead of Blackmon on the sidelines, Champ had solid coverage anyway.
                          6 and 3 pass intercepted on two point conversion by Champ stepped ahead of WR in the back of endzone. Reads the QBs eyes, peels off his coverage to snare the int.
                          7 and 3 with Henne on a back should pass, Champ in great coverage gets a hand on it.
                          8 and 4 with Henne on inside slant quick pass to Blackmon, completion.
                          9 and 4 with intermediate inside route, Champ may have gotten his hand into receiver's hand so pass was deflected and Rahim dropped an int.
                          10 and 5 with first down pass to Blackmon on a comeback route. Was probably Champ's poorest play of the game, was playing off coverage but didn't recover in time to close the distance and prevent catch.
                          11 and 5 with Blackmon drop in the red zone Bailey right behind him in coverage.

So that's 11 targets, 5 completions, a few passes defended, three first downs (I think), and one int on the two point conversation attempt.

Champ was targetted far more often than any other DB and played both press and off coverage depending on down and distance.

Not his best game, you could tell his reaction times were a bit off. Only time will tell if it's rust or the lisfranc is affecting his play.
                          Last edited by fontaine; 10-14-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 24champ View Post
                            You're surprised by that?

Comment

And why did he have the most pass deflections?

Because he was dramatically the most targeted DB.
                              To be fair, if you put any guy on Blackmon, he's going to get targeted.

Blackmon was targeted 20 times. Next closest, believe it or not, was 5.

Comment

Originally posted by BBII View Post
                                To be fair, if you put any guy on Blackmon, he's going to get targeted.

Blackmon was targeted 20 times. Next closest, believe it or not, was 5.
                                There were times that Blackmon was running wide open with no player around him. Sometimes I wish the coaches would act like Bill Belichek and say I don't care if we lose it just isn't going to be their only threat. My only hope is that they were playing super vanilla to give opposing teams less to prepare for.

Comment

Working...
                                X