The running QBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The running QBs

We are seeing more and more running QBs in the NFL. And there is no question that it puts incredible pressure on a D by adding another player to cover. Most Ds will need to change their game plan (spy, etc.) to handle the extra dimension and in doing so will weaken other parts of their D.

However, I believe it has an inherent flaw. The more a QB runs the more he will get hit. And I think that the same sort of minor injury to a wrist or arm or hand or shoulder that would not really impact a running back could be disaster when throwing the ball.

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts.

Originally posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
    We are seeing more and more running QBs in the NFL. And there is no question that it puts incredible pressure on a D by adding another player to cover. Most Ds will need to change their game plan (spy, etc.) to handle the extra dimension and in doing so will weaken other parts of their D.

However, I believe it has an inherent flaw. The more a QB runs the more he will get hit. And I think that the same sort of minor injury to a wrist or arm or hand or shoulder that would not really impact a running back could be disaster when throwing the ball.

I don't think the problem is running QB's. It's the running QB's instinct to get extra yards instead of getting down or out of bounds. Once you become a runner you're allowed to be hit like one.
    Most of the hits a running QB takes out of the pocket could be eliminated if they would slide properly or get out of bounds quicker.

With that said, I do not believe that running QB's get hit a ton more than a traditional pocket passer.
    Manning through his career has not been sacked a ton but he gets hit a lot because he gets the ball out often times just before the defender levels him.
    That's why his neck is screwed up now.

The type of hit the QB takes is more important than the amount overall though.

Comment

And yet they still lose Super Bowls to guys who can stand tall in the pocket and make plays from the pocket.....

Comment

Originally posted by errand View Post
        And yet they still lose Super Bowls to guys who can stand tall in the pocket and make plays from the pocket.....
        This is a lazy argument. The sample size is pretty small. And one was a pass away from doing it last season.

Comment

I once found that if I touched a hot stove, I'd burn myself. The egg is the chicken.

The circle is a lie.

Comment

I wouldn't want a running QB because they can get obliterated. Are we really seeing more running QB's? There's only a handful of em.

Comment

Yep Doug if you have a running QB you better have another one ready to go at all times.

Comment

Not to be rude but thank you for the newflash. Running QB's get hurt often. Who would have known.............lol.

Seriously? Your inherent flaw is that they could get injured? That's not an inherent flaw, that's a consequence.

I'll take an accurate pocket passer who can move around the pocket any day of the week over the best skilled run option QB.

Comment

Where a running QB sees getting that 1st down by scrambling into a run, a great pocket passer sees the 3rd or 4th read and passes for the 1st down. Without taking a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by maven View Post
                    I wouldn't want a running QB because they can get obliterated. Are we really seeing more running QB's? There's only a handful of em.
                    I guess you need to define "running QB". What constitutes a running QB? 4/5/6 rushes per game on average? Some other criteria?

Comment

i still think this running QB read option thing is going to be a fad. Mobile QBs will be fine, but the designed runs will end soon. running wild works great in college when you are stronger or faster than the competition, but in the NFL these QBs aren't faster or stronger than the competition. Injuries will mount and the league will return to the prototypical drop back passer.
                      Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 10-01-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncobiv View Post
                        I guess you need to define "running QB". What constitutes a running QB? 4/5/6 rushes per game on average? Some other criteria?
                        There really isn't that much running QB's out there. It sounds good, and the media hypes it. But, where are they?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
                          i still think this running QB read option thing is going to be a fad. Mobile QBs will be fine, but the designed runs will end soon. running wild works great in college when you are stronger or faster than the competition, but in the NFL these QBs aren't faster or stronger than the competition. Injuries will mount and the league will return to the prototypical drop back passer.
                          It is. They get obliterated. Nothing worse than your franchise QB out for weeks/months/year.

Nothing wrong being a mobile QB, but the pass will and should always be emphasized.

Comment

Originally posted by maven View Post
                            There really isn't that much running QB's out there. It sounds good, and the media hypes it. But, where are they?
                            I can't answer your question without referring you back to my original question, since you did not answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by errand View Post
                              You can be a running QB and still play from the pocket well.
                              McNair,Elway,Young,McNabb,Tarkenton & Cunningham were all mobile QB's who could run and throw.

Once again, the problem isn't the running, it's the instincts of when to run vs when to stay in the pocket.
                              Russell Wilson is a running QB but he also knows how to stay in the pocket, Luck can run but prefers to be a pocket guy, Tannehill is the same, Newton is another runner who prefers to stay in the pocket, Alex Smith is another one and so is Aaron Rodgers(that's why he fell in the draft, because he was considered a runner who needed refinement).

Pure runners who can't throw don't really play QB in this league,
                              Kaep can throw, but he was also known as a potential project because his success in college was from the pistol.

Comment

Working...
                              X