Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TMQ - Our Defense is "pedestrian"... Wut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMQ - Our Defense is "pedestrian"... Wut?

Today I read Tuesday Morning QB. Well, mostly I skimmed it and read the parts about the Broncos. Anyway, Easterbrook compares our team to the Patriots and claims our D is mediocre.

Denver: Is there enough room for the dazzling stats? Peyton Manning has 16 touchdown passes, no interceptions. He's averaging 9.4 yards per pass attempt. The Broncos lead the league in scoring at 45 points per game and in yards gained at 483. Most impressively, Denver is on a 15-1 streak. The Broncos are as hot as any NFL team has ever been.

Denver's offense lost Ryan Clady, one of the league's best players, and didn't miss a beat. Near-perfect pass-blocking allows Manning to have his way with defenses while the Broncos show constant small variations in formations and tendencies. At one point in the Eagles game, Wes Welker lined up in the backfield to Manning's right, as if to blitz block; a man went in motion on the left, causing the safeties to look there; then Welker ran a simple "pin" route right: touchdown.

The Broncos' defense is pedestrian, though it might improve, assuming Von Miller returns. The main cautionary note for Denver faithful is that the formula the Broncs are using -- fantastic pass-wacky offense, middling defense -- is the formula the Patriots have used for the last five years, and the Patriots have petered out in the playoffs.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97...eds-final-five

Our D may not be Seattle, but I would argue they're well above "middling".

assuming Von Miller returns
    Assuming? Did he run off to Jamaica to hang out with Ricky Williams?

Comment

Comment

What makes makes his statement even more mind-numbingly stupid is his apparent ignorance of recent history. The 2007 New England Defense was ranked 4th in yards allowed per game, and 4th in points allowed per game. That includes being ranked 6th overall in passing yards per game, which is even more impressive when you consider how much teams were forced to throw the ball against them during blow-outs. Hardly a "middling" defense. Easterbrook is the worst kind of hack, one unconcerned with actual facts when attempting to make a talking point.

Comment

I would agree that our pass rush sure as hell isn't where it needs to be. The D has been benefiting from playing with leads. I'll feel much better when Von gets back.

Comment

Originally posted by enjolras View Post
            Assuming? Did he run off to Jamaica to hang out with Ricky Williams?
            He could die, find himself abducted, go back to Vegas, etc.

Comment

This is what someone would say if they only looked at stats and didn't watch the games. A lot of the yards we have given up have been in garbage time when we have the youngsters like Kayvon Webster and the like in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
                He could die, find himself abducted, go back to Vegas, etc.
                Or just go for a drive.

Easterbrook has always stuffed whatever facts he finds into his ready made theory.

Comment

Go full retard, go home empty handed...

Comment

There seems to be the generalization that if you have a good offense you must also have a bad defense

Kind of like when white players are labeled as "limited upside but a nonstop motor", or when black qbs are compared to Mike Vick

Comment

Only the Eagles have had success running the ball, but they have a serious threat with McCoy and Vick running.
                      Our defense may not be world beaters, but they are fairly stout against the run and have good coverage guys. With Von Miller back and Champ healthy, they will be even better, and when we don't have to worry about spying the QB well we force more pressure and turnovers happen.

We need Miller to help generate more of a pass rush. But heck, we're beating teams by double digits as it is already...

Comment

I am always real and our defense did look pedestrian for the first three series.

Von and Champ will fix a lot of it but as long as we are scoring on a record breaking streak it won't matter.

Comment

I think we are a good D not a great one.

We are weak at Pass Rush and S on deep passing routes. We will have to get better for playoffs.
                          Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 10-01-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
                            I think we are a good D not a great one.

We are weak at Pass Rush and S on deep passing routes. We will have to get better for playoffs.
                            I've seen this before....I don't think Denver is weak defending the deep pass at all. I don't see them giving up a lot of deep TD's....only one I can think of and it was because our players collided. This is all while going up against some of the best deep threats in the league of Torrey Smith, Victor Cruz and Desean Jackson.

Comment

That article is just too much. It has literally everything and most of it was unreadable. It's like he was drunk.

Comment

Working...
                              X