This Defense is NASTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Defense is NASTY

With all the hoopla over lManning, hardly anybody seems to notice outside of Denver how good this defense is. #1 in the NFL against the rush, it's big in the line, has speed to burn and depth all over the field with play makers everywhere. I'm impressed with this linebacking corp especially. Does anyone even remember that Stuart Bradley is supposed to be the starting MLB? No way Woodyard goes back to the outside. These guys are fast, aggressive hitters who range sideline to sideline supported by a secondary that can cover as well as hit. This is by far the best Denver D I've seen in years, and we are still without Champ and Miller. The Raiders had no ground game other than Pryor on a couple runs, none.

They need to play a complete game. I hated to see Pryor have room to throw like he did at times last night. Obviously pass rush plays a part in that and will get better once we get ****head back.

Comment

They are fast for sure. I just hope they dont slow down by December. They will need that speed when the big boys play late in the year and in January

Comment

Yes, agreeed. Some of the most consistent defensive play in Denver since Del Rio arrived. If we had a fewer mistakes in the running game ... the stat figures would look even better.

Comment

Broncos D don't care, Broncos D don't give a ****.

Ewwwhhh, it's so NASTY!!

Comment

We fans have been begging for a pair of DTs for years, and now we finally have them. Big Vick and Pork Chop are dominating the LOS, eating up blockers, and allowing our speedy LBs to run free and make plays. Can't wait to see what we can do when we get Von and Champ back.

Comment

Trevathan, Ihenacho, Malik Jackson, DRC and Terence Knighton have really upgraded this defense.

Irving has started to play well in run support but his coverage is not there yet. Ayers is also generating pressure from his side and was being held constantly in the game.

But with Champ and Von back this is an elite defense.

About the only guy that's really been disapointing is Derek Wolfe. Third straight game without any real pressure on the QB.

Comment

I wonder if the hit he took is in his head a bit?

I like Irving to definiately gonna be sad to see him back on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
                  I wonder if the hit he took is in his head a bit?I like Irving to definiately gonna be sad to see him back on the bench.
                  Maybe, but I'm just talking about the basics here. Wolfe hasn't shown the sudden, explosive movement you need to have to rush the QB. He just doesn't play like a fast, athletic DL but a strong and stout run defender who won't get rolled back and plays with a lot of motor.

I thought a full offseason working on his conditioning and lower body strength could get more burst out of him but right now he really looks more like a base down run defender than pass rusher.

Malik Jackson has really started playing into Wolfe's snaps.

Comment

Originally posted by fontaine View Post
                    Maybe, but I'm just talking about the basics here. Wolfe hasn't shown the sudden, explosive movement you need to have to rush the QB. He just doesn't play like a fast, athletic DL but a strong and stout run defender who won't get rolled back and plays with a lot of motor.

I thought a full offseason working on his conditioning and lower body strength could get more burst out of him but right now he really looks more like a base down run defender than pass rusher.

Malik Jackson has really started playing into Wolfe's snaps.
                    I'm gonna guess last night speaking they wanted to contain Pryor in the pocket and make him beat us with the arm.
                    What frustrated me is the snap over Pryors head. Denver didn't crash on it.

Comment

I am not buying into this defense being nasty just yet. I will say they are finally playing a downhill style where the DC puts them in position to make plays and the gameplans have been spot on to stop the scheme's they have faced.

What I do not see yet is them winning the one on one battles everywhere that truly makes a defense nasty and impossible to game plan against or exploit matchups. I do think getting Champ and Von back would elevate the pass rush and coverage enough to take them to the nasty level. You can see how the defense is evolving right now, and those 2 will fit right into the development and make it much better and hopefully more of a turnover machine as well.

Comment

By my reckoning, this D has given up 31 garbage time points. If this team wants to be recognized as great, that has to stop. Currently ranked 17th in points, 19th in yards. We all know they are better than that, it would be great for the stats to show it.

By garbage time, I mean scores allowed when Broncos have > 95% chance of winning, per pro-football-reference.com. that's 10 to Bal, 7 to NYG, and 14 to oak.

Comment

I also was expecting Wolfe to be more of a factor rushing the passer. Maybe he isn't over his injury yet, and will come on strong as the season progresses. Jackson and Ayers have picked up some of the slack in that regard though. Von will make all of these guys better pass rushers when he gets back though.

Comment

Take away that first fluke TD where we had two defenders collide and some garbage yards they got when we were down to our #4 and #5 corners out there, and this is a 30 point game. That unit was a 3 and out machine last night and completely eliminated any running game out of a team that usually runs it down our throat.

Loving it.

Comment

Still need to see the pass rush improve.

Williams still hasn't showed anything, but he did get in some first half playing time for the first time this year and at least didn't just stand up and get mauled.

Sick of garbage time points as well, but that's more of a nitpick really. I'd have to go back and look at the plays, but it appeared that on at least the one long TD throw, that Nacho had to go through a Bronco player to make the tackle and ended up taking himself out of the play, allowing the long run.

Comment

Working...
                              X