Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Elway, one of the league’s all-time great quarterbacks, has become one of the best GMs too

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John Elway, one of the league’s all-time great quarterbacks, has become one of the best GMs too

    When John Elway was hired to run the Denver Broncos' football operations, it looked like a move that pandered to a fan base that still loved Elway well after retirement.

    The franchise was in sickly shape at the time, ravaged by an unfathomable decision to let Josh McDaniels have complete and total control of the organization in his first coaching job. That should have set the franchise back a decade. Elway, if nothing else, was good PR. People in Denver would never object.

    I thought at the time that it might be a bad move. Great players don't always make great executives, and Elway had no NFL front office experience. Ozzie Newsome and Jerry West are among the rare cases of great players becoming great executives; it just doesn't happen that often. But in typical Elway fashion, he willed himself to be one of the best GMs in the NFL. Signing Ryan Clady, one of the NFL's best left tackles, to a deal that benefited both sides before the contract deadline for franchise-tagged players is just another sign of how well he has transitioned to his new job.

    The way Elway has completely rebuilt the Broncos in a little more than two years is absolutely remarkable.




    for the rest... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...133023861.html

  • #2
    Originally posted by Bronco Rob View Post
    When John Elway was hired to run the Denver Broncos' football operations, it looked like a move that pandered to a fan base that still loved Elway well after retirement.

    The franchise was in sickly shape at the time, ravaged by an unfathomable decision to let Josh McDaniels have complete and total control of the organization in his first coaching job. That should have set the franchise back a decade. Elway, if nothing else, was good PR. People in Denver would never object.

    I thought at the time that it might be a bad move. Great players don't always make great executives, and Elway had no NFL front office experience. Ozzie Newsome and Jerry West are among the rare cases of great players becoming great executives; it just doesn't happen that often. But in typical Elway fashion, he willed himself to be one of the best GMs in the NFL. Signing Ryan Clady, one of the NFL's best left tackles, to a deal that benefited both sides before the contract deadline for franchise-tagged players is just another sign of how well he has transitioned to his new job.

    The way Elway has completely rebuilt the Broncos in a little more than two years is absolutely remarkable.




    for the rest... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...133023861.html
    Love it!

    Comment


    • #3
      From the article.;



      Elway has put together a team that is as good as any in the NFL. Once again, he has put the Denver Broncos on his back.



      Early on I doubted the choice of Elway as GM do to lack of experience.


      I WAS WRONG

      Comment


      • #4
        to be fair, he needed a lot of neck-based luck to have this one happen. if we're still running around with Tebow or Brandon Weeden or someone at QB, you never know.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by extralife View Post
          to be fair, he needed a lot of neck-based luck to have this one happen. if we're still running around with Tebow or Brandon Weeden or someone at QB, you never know.

          You have a point but when you look at the body of work over the last two years, draft, free agent signings, the structuring of new contracts, the kind of players brought in, who was cut and the timing of those cuts, taken all together Elway looks to be as good a GM as he was a QB.


          The organization's alcohol issues being the only unsettling element.
          Last edited by baja; 07-15-2013, 06:48 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by extralife View Post
            to be fair, he needed a lot of neck-based luck to have this one happen. if we're still running around with Tebow or Brandon Weeden or someone at QB, you never know.
            Something, or rather someone?, really sold Manning on Denver. So, I give the Duke credit for that one too.

            Comment


            • #7
              I think one of Elway's major contributions was bringing a winning mentality to the team. Players need that expectation that mediocre isn't good enough, and that we have the pieces to make the playoffs (and Superbowl after Manning was signed). It starts at the top - Bowlen and Elway - and must be felt by the coaches before it trickles down to the players. Believing you are better than other teams separates the perennial greats (Pittsburgh, NWE, etc.) from the perennial bottom feeders (CLE, DET, etc.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
                Something, or rather someone?, really sold Manning on Denver. So, I give the Duke credit for that one too.
                He said he wanted to raise his girls in Denver.

                Comment


                • #9
                  When we first brought in Elway I guess I didn't know what to think. I knew it was the smart and safe move for sure. As the article said, everyone in Denver loves Elway and would give him a chance. We needed some positive publicity. And the thing I kept telling people is that Elway took the Crush to a championship with him running the show. The guy knows football. And a great eye for talent. There's no reason, looking back now, as to why people would have questioned his success.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 12th man View Post
                    When we first brought in Elway I guess I didn't know what to think. I knew it was the smart and safe move for sure. As the article said, everyone in Denver loves Elway and would give him a chance. We needed some positive publicity. And the thing I kept telling people is that Elway took the Crush to a championship with him running the show. The guy knows football. And a great eye for talent. There's no reason, looking back now, as to why people would have questioned his success.

                    My initial issue and as it turns out only issue with Elway was shipping out Tebow and not keeping him as a back up for Manning but looking back it was the best move, actually a necessary move.

                    Then he goes out and boldly snags Oz, ballsy move that very well could turn out as important as nabbing Manning

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by extralife View Post
                      to be fair, he needed a lot of neck-based luck to have this one happen. if we're still running around with Tebow or Brandon Weeden or someone at QB, you never know.
                      John Elway was the one who engineered the Peyton Manning signing and was the one who made the logical evaluation that Tebow wasn't his guy and proved himself as a front office man and not simply a former player when he took emotion out of the equation and made a calculated football decision to move on from Tim Tebow, despite the emotion and passion of the situation and Tebow's strong following. He made no bones about it and was very even keeled when talking about Tim Tebow, making no promises while evaluating the situation.

                      Tim Tebow brought a lot of excitement to the Denver Broncos during that streak of games at a time when the team needed an infusion of passion after a low period for the franchise. John Elway wouldn't have kept Tim Tebow even if Peyton Manning signed elsewhere. A lot of front office guys starting out and learning on the fly like John Elway was would have gotten caught up in the hype and brought Tebow back for another season, but Elway knew he had to move on quickly.

                      He evaluated Peyton Manning's injury situation and deemed it a risk worth taking, then he went out and sold Peyton Manning on the Denver Broncos and his vision of building a Super Bowl team around him....and nobody knows more about what kind of team an all time great HOF QB can lead to Super Bowl wins late in his career like John Elway.

                      I know Peyton Manning likes his money and has no problem getting every last penny he deserves, but Peyton Manning could have gotten more money from Bud Adams and the Tennessee Titans, as Bud Adams is very old and wanted nothing more than to sign Peyton Manning to try and win a Super Bowl before he kicks the bucket.

                      What Peyton Manning wants more than anything is the opportunity to win a few more Super Bowls and validate his status as one of the the very best QBs of all time.

                      John Elway sold him on his vision of the Peyton Manning led Denver Broncos and Peyton was convinced that Denver was the best opportunity.

                      This despite the fact that Denver was one year removed from the Josh McDaniels fiasco and still had the Tim Tebow situation to deal with.

                      His ability to sell the team and his vision to Peyton Manning was very impressive, as Peyton Manning is an astute football mind and him deeming Denver as his choice spoke volumes about what he thought of John Elway running the show.

                      Of course Peyton Manning makes John Elway look pretty damn good, but John Elway is the one went out and made it happen.

                      I'll be honest, when I first heard Denver had an interest in Peyton Manning, I was excited and was geeked about Peyton Freaking Manning orchestrating the offense of our Denver Broncos, but I didn't hold out much hope of him signing with Denver.

                      All that said, John Elway knows the Peyton Manning Era will be judged on Super Bowl wins....anything less than at least one Super Bowl win will be viewed as an abject failure by John Elway.

                      I really think this team will go on a 3 year run and be a serious Super Bowl contender every season. I think Denver will win at least one Super Bowl with Peyton Manning. I think he's got more left in the tank than a lot of people realize. Denver has to stay relatively healthy and continue to gel as a team and of that happens, there is no reason they shouldn't be playing in a few Super Bowls.

                      I also think John Elway is really hedging his bets that Montee Ball will be Peyton Manning's Terrell Davis. John Elway knows the drafting and play of Montee Ball will be a major factor in the entire building of the team around Peyton Manning, as he knows how important Terrell Davis was to their Super Bowl wins and knows Peyton Manning needs that back he can trust and rely on to get those crucial yards to move the chains and grind out the clock. Elway knows how demoralizing it was to the teams they played when that offensive line would mow you down and choke you out at the end of games with the run. You know bringing Alex Gibbs back as an offensive line consultant was done to teach that line some of his zone blocking schemes and tricks of the trade and allow Montee Ball to run down hill.

                      Alright, enough blow banging....time for Denver to step up and prove it on the field.

                      Damn, that was a long post. Smoke a bowl of Galaxy God Bud and realize it's 2:22 am and you've typed War and Peace and babbled on for paragraphs.

                      What happened to the last hour?
                      Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 07-15-2013, 11:29 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
                        John Elway was the one who engineered the Peyton Manning signing and was the one who made the logical evaluation that Tebow wasn't his guy and proved himself as a front office man and not simply a former player when he took emotion out of the equation and made a calculated football decision to move on from Tim Tebow, despite the emotion and passion of the situation and Tebow's strong following. He made no bones about it and was very even keeled when talking about Tim Tebow, making no promises while evaluating the situation.

                        Tim Tebow brought a lot of excitement to the Denver Broncos during that streak of games at a time when the team needed an infusion of passion after a low period for the franchise. John Elway wouldn't have kept Tim Tebow even if Peyton Manning signed elsewhere. A lot of front office guys starting out and learning on the fly like John Elway was would have gotten caught up in the hype and brought Tebow back for another season, but Elway knew he had to move on quickly.

                        He evaluated Peyton Manning's injury situation and deemed it a risk worth taking, then he went out and sold Peyton Manning on the Denver Broncos and his vision of building a Super Bowl team around him....and nobody knows more about what kind of team an all time great HOF QB can lead to Super Bowl wins late in his career like John Elway.

                        I know Peyton Manning likes his money and has no problem getting every last penny he deserves, but Peyton Manning could have gotten more money from Bud Adams and the Tennessee Titans, as Bud Adams is very old and wanted nothing more than to sign Peyton Manning to try and win a Super Bowl before he kicks the bucket.

                        What Peyton Manning wants more than anything is the opportunity to win a few more Super Bowls and validate his status as one of the the very best QBs of all time.

                        John Elway sold him on his vision of the Peyton Manning led Denver Broncos and Peyton was convinced that Denver was the best opportunity.

                        This despite the fact that Denver was one year removed from the Josh McDaniels fiasco and still had the Tim Tebow situation to deal with.

                        His ability to sell the team and his vision to Peyton Manning was very impressive, as Peyton Manning is an astute football mind and him deeming Denver as his choice spoke volumes about what he thought of John Elway running the show.

                        Of course Peyton Manning makes John Elway look pretty damn good, but John Elway is the one went out and made it happen.

                        I'll be honest, when I first heard Denver had an interest in Peyton Manning, I was excited and was geeked about Peyton Freaking Manning orchestrating the offense of our Denver Broncos, but I didn't hold out much hope of him signing with Denver.

                        All that said, John Elway knows the Peyton Manning Era will be judged on Super Bowl wins....anything less than at least one Super Bowl win will be viewed as an abject failure by John Elway.

                        I really think this team will go on a 3 year run and be a serious Super Bowl contender every season. I think Denver will win at least one Super Bowl with Peyton Manning. I think he's got more left in the tank than a lot of people realize. Denver has to stay relatively healthy and continue to gel as a team and of that happens, there is no reason they shouldn't be playing in a few Super Bowls.

                        I also think John Elway is really hedging his bets that Montee Ball will be Peyton Manning's Terrell Davis. John Elway knows the drafting and play of Montee Ball will be a major factor in the entire building of the team around Peyton Manning, as he knows how important Terrell Davis was to their Super Bowl wins and knows Peyton Manning needs that back he can trust and rely on to get those crucial yards to move the chains and grind out the clock. Elway knows how demoralizing it was to the teams they played when that offensive line would mow you down and choke you out at the end of games with the run. You know bringing Alex Gibbs back as an offensive line consultant was done to teach that line some of his zone blocking schemes and tricks of the trade and allow Montee Ball to run down hill.

                        Alright, enough blow banging....time for Denver to step up and prove it on the field.

                        Damn, that was a long post. Smoke a bowl of Galaxy God Bud and realize it's 2:22 am and you've typed War and Peace and babbled on for paragraphs.

                        What happened to the last hour?

                        Geez I was looking for the link to the well written article Junkie. Nice job and spot on about Ball. Color me super excited about Ball in this backfield too.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I consider myself a pretty analytical fan when evaluating the Denver Broncos.

                          I'm not the type to tout the team as a contender every season and don't view every move through orange colored glasses.

                          That's why I'm pretty excited about the next two or three seasons, as I really think the team has a chance to go on a championship run if they stay relatively healthy and don't get too conservative....and I think John Elway has gotten the message to John Fox that they better step on some throats when they get the opportunity to put teams away at the end of games. No more goofy ****ing bull**** at the end of games.

                          The Elvis Dumervil fiasco is still stuck in my craw a little bit, and the recent DUIs by Matt Russell and Tom Heckert are distractions, but I think this team is going to be on a mission this season and will come out ready to roll and play focused championship level football.
                          Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 07-15-2013, 11:58 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Honestly it didn't surprise me at all that Elway would become such a good GM. Obviously he was a very competitive player. He was a coaches son, so he's been around the game since he was young. He really does know football inside and out, not just the QB position. So that helps. But he's also got that smart savvy business edge to him and he's excelled in business. Those 2 things along with some big time passion to bring the Broncos back to the glory days, is why he excels.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              He seems to have put together a fine team. I guess we'll really know the truth once Manning leaves.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X