Nate Irving - realistic expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate Irving - realistic expectations?

For the past month or so, I've ready a ton of previews on the upcoming season and writers from all over the US, of which many of them have said something along the lines of this guy is poised for greatness this year. Some calling him the breakout player, others calling him the underrated difference maker. I don't know where they are coming up with this stuff. Why are so many writers so high on this guy, he's done nothing. Sure the coaching staff has penciled him as the guy in the middle and sorta his job to lose. But he really doesn't have anything to show for his first few seasons. Not that we have anything behind him that would make you believe he couldn't win the job but I just don't get why they think he's going to have this break out year. I guess it remains to be seen, if he can play well enough to hold off the other guys.

Have you ever heard the phrase read and find out..? I prefer watch and find out over speculate and find out. **** me right?
    Last edited by myMind; 07-11-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Nate Irving career statistics:

2011: 1 solo tackle, 1 assisted tackle (16 games played)
      2012: 1 solo tackle, 2 assisted tackles (15 games played)

2011 salary: $548,740
      2012 salary: $638,750

$$$ paid to Nate Irving per tackle in 2011-2012: $339,282.86

Just sayin'....

Comment

Originally posted by BowlenBall View Post

Just sayin'....
        He has lots of special teams tackles and he was just a 3rd round pick.

When I look at Irving I see a LBer. He is the prototypical LBer. Good size, speed and he does hit. Now he needs to put it together. He is a 3rd round pick and this is his 3rd year. Anyone calling him a disappointment is jumping the gun, I believe.

This is the year we find out if he will be solid.
        Last edited by Bacchus; 07-12-2013, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BowlenBall View Post

Just sayin'....
          Dang, a guy could play in the league a long long time with that limited amount of contact..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post

When I look at Irving I see a LBer. He is the prototypical LBer. Good size, speed and he does hit. Now he needs to put it together. He is a 3rd round pick and this is his 3rd year. Anyone calling him a disappoint is jumping the gun I believe.

Forget ST's. We're talking about him as a LB'er. He does hit? What does he hit? The sleds in practice? Because he's sure not hitting anything on the field during games, as a MLB.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post

When I look at Irving I see a LBer. He is the prototypical LBer. Good size, speed and he does hit. Now he needs to put it together. He is a 3rd round pick and this is his 3rd year. Anyone calling him a disappoint is jumping the gun I believe.

Good point about the special teams tackles, those aren't included at pro-football-reference.com. Here's his revised stats if we include special teams:

2011: 3 solo tackles, 1 assisted tackle
              2012: 9 solo tackles, 4 assisted tackles

Career: 12 solo tackles, 5 assists in 31 games.

Comment

I have high hopes for Irving. If he plays well it will solve the biggest problem on the D. Realistically though, I'm not expecting too much.

Comment

dude is a hype machine around this place.

Comment

Originally posted by rmsanger View Post
                    dude is a hype machine around this place.
                    Mostly negative hype. Everyone is calling him a bust.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                      Forget ST's. We're talking about him as a LB'er. He does hit? What does he hit? The sleds in practice? Because he's sure not hitting anything on the field during games, as a MLB.
                      I called the exterminator because of your avatar

Comment

Care to link us to said articles? I haven't seen anything calling him 'poised for greatness' ?

Comment

Originally posted by SlyEli View Post
                          I have high hopes for Irving. If he plays well it will solve the biggest problem on the D. Realistically though, I'm not expecting too much.
                          I liked him when we first drafted, and I couldn't wait til he took Mays spot. Now, I want him to do well, but I'm not expecting a pro bowl year out of him either.

Comment

I think he's one of the most explosive players I've ever seen when it comes to running in and jumping on the pile.

Comment

I liked him at NC State
                              The only issues I had was whether he could hold up phyically

Surely he will be better than Mays though
                              We saw an old old man with with very little quickness upgrade the MLB significantly over what Mays brought to the table

He will be just fine

Comment

Working...
                              X