Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT- Windows 8 or a MacBook?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by montrose View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys, if money weren't an object I'd probably go with the Mac but it is so I'll still need to think it over. I am more interested in he stark contrast of responses regarding Windows 8. Those that love it: why? Those that don't: why?



    Radio producer, I cut audio with Adobe Audition.
    Its half a touch based interface and half a desktop interface in the spirit of windows 7. Only way to really know what is unique about it is to use it.

    People complain because they can't get used to the fact that all the programs are on a separate panel that takes up your whole screen when you open the apps. People hate it for the same reason that people hated the start bar from XP but they all got used to that.

    It's generally a somewhat innovative design but mostly impractical for the desktop environment (although great for touch) because the way that you actually look for programs to open is often through the start/docs (list) menu or the spotlight/ctrl+F search feature.

    The idea of dragging a montage of pictures is great for touchscreen but doesn't translate to the desktop.

    That said you might really enjoy the touch laptops that windows 8 is meant to be used with,again, its all about the hardware.

    Focus on the hardware and its marriage to the software... i recommend you take a look at the foldable touch laptops for w8 or the air for mac osx.

    Performance and tech specs are overated, intel's mobile division pumps out insane per wattage power and modern operating systems take up a relatively minuscule percentage of a computer's RAM.

    A modern core-i ULV processor and 4GBs of ram could run just about anything.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by montrose View Post
      Thanks for the feedback guys, if money weren't an object I'd probably go with the Mac but it is so I'll still need to think it over. I am more interested in he stark contrast of responses regarding Windows 8. Those that love it: why? Those that don't: why?



      Radio producer, I cut audio with Adobe Audition.
      To be fair, I didn't even give 10 minutes to Windows 8. It was not user friendly what-so-ever. Win 8 was built for touch screen, so I guess if you're going that route, it might be useful.

      Comment


      • #33
        I don't get the cost thing when talking about a Macbook Pro

        They cost about $1,500. You use them for three years and buy a new one. You are always up to date with the evolving tech and it costs $500 a year plus you make some school kid happy when you give him your old machine that will likely run just fine for another several years.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by CHANGSTER View Post
          I'm really not a fan of Windows 8. It's a version built for tablets that's supposed to be user friendly but comes across as dumbed down. And it makes everything take a second longer when you have to hold your cursor at the edge of the screen to get a menu open. It's pretty good for people who aren't exactly "computer people", though.
          Interesting considering I have a masters in Computer Science and prefer W8.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
            Interesting considering I have a masters in Computer Science and prefer W8.
            What about 3.1x?

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
              Interesting considering I have a masters in Computer Science and prefer W8.
              Windows 8 is probably the most stable release I have seen from MS so far. Like I mentioned downloading an app to get rid of the native home screen is almost a must but after that its a very stable OS.

              I recently "rebuilt" my desktop. New MB, processor SSD drive and windows 8. It screams and for 400.00 I have a brand new computer. For the people complaining about viruses etc on a pc, what are you doing? I have yet to get a virus on my new machine but I also do not download my claim form because I just won the Nigerian lottery

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
                Windows 8 is probably the most stable release I have seen from MS so far. Like I mentioned downloading an app to get rid of the native home screen is almost a must but after that its a very stable OS.

                I recently "rebuilt" my desktop. New MB, processor SSD drive and windows 8. It screams and for 400.00 I have a brand new computer. For the people complaining about viruses etc on a pc, what are you doing? I have yet to get a virus on my new machine but I also do not download my claim form because I just won the Nigerian lottery
                We are fappin' JM.

                /fapfapfapfapfapfapfap

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by enjolras View Post
                  Counterpoint: All of the developers at my company have either Macbook Air's or Macbook Pro's. Our failure rate is higher than at my previous venture where we mostly used cheap Dell's.

                  Our average lifespan for a Macbook Pro is about 1.5 years. Which is good for a developers machine, but not fantastic. We're forced into it as all of our developers touch iOS at some point.
                  Do you and your developers a favor and wipe that sh*t they call Windows and OSX and put a real OS on.

                  Ubuntu LTS is my preference and the biggest community backing...but I wouldn't fault you for a different flavor.

                  Edit:
                  If you are forced into objective-c dev, then dual boot those biatches.
                  Last edited by OOJack; 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    And if you didn't know this already, Google engrs use a skinned Ubuntu LTS.

                    It just works...all the time.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I bought an HP w Windows back in early 2007. It burnt out in less than 6 mos. Apparently I got the dud. As I purchased at best buy w their protection plan, they comped me the money back towards another laptop. I went with my first Mac. Took me time to get adjusted to along w downloading word/excel, etc. That was prior to my wedding in mid/late 2007. I'm proud to say that laptop is STILL going strong. Performance is great, fast, all major parts still working. I had to get an external hard drive for more storage but that's it's.

                      My wife and I are both supplied laptops for work... Sure enough windows laptops. They crash and burn all the time. The amount of bugs and other junk in it is incredible. Do yourself a favor and go with Apple. You'll pay more but it is a higher quality product w much more uptime vs downtime.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
                        Windows 8 is probably the most stable release I have seen from MS so far. Like I mentioned downloading an app to get rid of the native home screen is almost a must but after that its a very stable OS.

                        I recently "rebuilt" my desktop. New MB, processor SSD drive and windows 8. It screams and for 400.00 I have a brand new computer. For the people complaining about viruses etc on a pc, what are you doing? I have yet to get a virus on my new machine but I also do not download my claim form because I just won the Nigerian lottery
                        If you're not getting viruses, you're not surfing the web hard enough

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by lonestar View Post
                          Mac in a heartbeat if for no other reason I do not have to buy virus programs to keep my unit free of crap.

                          Some day I might have to but not now.

                          If you want to run windows on the Mac you can. Not sure why you would but you can.
                          This is completely wrong

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by CHANGSTER View Post
                            I'm really not a fan of Windows 8. It's a version built for tablets that's supposed to be user friendly but comes across as dumbed down. And it makes everything take a second longer when you have to hold your cursor at the edge of the screen to get a menu open. It's pretty good for people who aren't exactly "computer people", though.
                            Yes thank you, finally somebody who knows what their talking about in terms of OS. Windows 8 GUI alone is reason not to buy it. It's definitely a phone OS cloning as a computer OS. I would stick with Windows 7.

                            As for Mac's, I have no problem with them. But they don't do anything special a Windows PC can't do, except take alot more money out of your wallet. They're so overpriced it's ridiculous.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by bpc View Post
                              I bought an HP w Windows back in early 2007. It burnt out in less than 6 mos. Apparently I got the dud. As I purchased at best buy w their protection plan, they comped me the money back towards another laptop. I went with my first Mac. Took me time to get adjusted to along w downloading word/excel, etc. That was prior to my wedding in mid/late 2007. I'm proud to say that laptop is STILL going strong. Performance is great, fast, all major parts still working. I had to get an external hard drive for more storage but that's it's.

                              My wife and I are both supplied laptops for work... Sure enough windows laptops. They crash and burn all the time. The amount of bugs and other junk in it is incredible. Do yourself a favor and go with Apple. You'll pay more but it is a higher quality product w much more uptime vs downtime.
                              I would have to say that your work is probably buying cheap crap if it continues to fail all the time. If you're talking about the software OS having issues all the time then perhaps your IT guy is crap. I have absolutely no problems with Windows 7. I've built 5 PC's and installed Windows 7 and I've not yet got one complaint from any of the people I've built them for. Same goes for Mac. I've used them alot also and no complaints, except that you indeed pay alot more for no reason other then the name APPLE.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
                                For the people complaining about viruses etc on a pc, what are you doing? I have yet to get a virus on my new machine but I also do not download my claim form because I just won the Nigerian lottery
                                I never got this either. I have had a virus problem exactly once in the last seven years.

                                Basically if you have problems with viruses or, heaven forbid, you are paying for virus protection, you are obviously a computer imbecile and a Mac is what you need because they are made imbecile proof.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X