Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT- Windows 8 or a MacBook?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Speaking as someone who has been a PC guy for most if his life, Windows 8 is truly a hideously, hilarious attemp to be visually relevant if it was 1998. The new interface is absurd and desperate. I'll probably still run both pc and Mac in my house but Microsoft just keeps making it harder and harder for me to care.

    Comment


    • #17
      Good rule to follow.....Never buy a Windows OS until at least service pack 2 comes out, unless you like to be a tortured lab rat fed bugs.

      Comment


      • #18
        Macs are expensive and impossible to improve. Get a pc with windows 7.

        Comment


        • #19
          Go with Linux.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by lonestar View Post
            Mac in a heartbeat if for no other reason I do not have to buy virus programs to keep my unit free of crap.

            Some day I might have to but not now.

            If you want to run windows on the Mac you can. Not sure why you would but you can.
            Ignorance is bliss.

            Same goes for Iphones. Andriods have been putting out superior hardware and features for years.

            Didn't Apple just advertise a "Bigger screen" and "Panoramic Pictures"? Lol.

            I'm not saying Apple is a bad product. But Apple Products are like the Beats Headphones of the industry now. Nothing more than a status symbol.

            Comment


            • #21
              I build my own PC's, so I have a bias towards Windows machines, but if I was going to buy a laptop and money was no object I'd get a Mac. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, do NOT buy a Macbook. If you have tons of cash to spend, Mac's really are a great product. They look great. They work great. They feel great. Mac is the best design company in the world at present. They just aren't great value and good luck getting one fixed for cheap once your Apple Care runs out.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Ratboy View Post
                Neither.
                SO rufus.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Houshyamama View Post
                  I build my own PC's, so I have a bias towards Windows machines, but if I was going to buy a laptop and money was no object I'd get a Mac. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, do NOT buy a Macbook. If you have tons of cash to spend, Mac's really are a great product. They look great. They work great. They feel great. Mac is the best design company in the world at present. They just aren't great value and good luck getting one fixed for cheap once your Apple Care runs out.

                  Apple Care is three years. once that runs out the machine is out dated. Laptops are basically a throw away product with a 3 year life span.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I've been a PC guy almost my whole life and have had a PC of my own since I was 3 years old. Gave Windows 8 a serious try because I always like to see what is coming out. It is worthless and most people agree. Look at all the good tech sites on the Web and you won't see any groundbreaking reviews on it. Haven't really been impressed with any Microsoft OS since XP -- and even that took till SP3 to even be completely stable.

                    I would go with a Mac in a heartbeat. I bought a MacAir a year ago and the only problem I had was an issue with a trackpad, but that was fixed easily under Apple Care. One free year, three extended for $100 which is worth it on a $1,000+ investment. It has nothing to do with being a sheep. The high end laptops with Windows 8 cost just as much as a MacBook/MacAir. I don't think I have ever had a better machine than what I do now. It boots up in seconds and runs absolutely smoothly. The only thing I can say is with the flash state and how many websites use it, the battery life isn't as good as I expected. I'm not sure what the new generation of Mac's run at -- but my Air gets ~ 4.5 hours, sometimes 5 depending on the settings.

                    Go with the Mac. Orange Mane for Mac: (54) . . . Windows 8: El Guapo (1)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                      Macs are expensive and impossible to improve. Get a pc with windows 7.
                      Not even remotely true at all. The only people who don't realize how you can upgrade a Mac are the people who don't know anything about computers other than how to boot them up and surf the web. It takes a little "smarts" to do it, but it easily can be done. How many people with PCs do you know that are bossing 32GB of RAM in their system. Probably none.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                        How many people with PCs do you know that are bossing 32GB of RAM in their system. Probably none.
                        Nice to meet you.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Ratboy View Post
                          Nice to meet you.
                          Well of course they exist. I know a bunch of people who are PC enthusiasts who are total hardware junkies. That is cool you have a system that bomb. I was just trying to address the perpetual myth that goes around which states Macs are not expandable.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            My go to device for work is my iPad. I'm in sales. I love that my calendar, contacts, photos, mail, notes and reminders show and update the same on all my devices. And, with Dropbox, all my documents are on all my devices. I feel like computers finally have become the useful tool I hoped the could become. I have an iMac at my office, and carry my iPad and iPhone.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Thanks for the feedback guys, if money weren't an object I'd probably go with the Mac but it is so I'll still need to think it over. I am more interested in he stark contrast of responses regarding Windows 8. Those that love it: why? Those that don't: why?

                              Originally posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
                              What do you do for work Montrose?
                              Radio producer, I cut audio with Adobe Audition.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                                I've been a PC guy almost my whole life and have had a PC of my own since I was 3 years old. Gave Windows 8 a serious try because I always like to see what is coming out. It is worthless and most people agree. Look at all the good tech sites on the Web and you won't see any groundbreaking reviews on it. Haven't really been impressed with any Microsoft OS since XP -- and even that took till SP3 to even be completely stable.

                                I would go with a Mac in a heartbeat. I bought a MacAir a year ago and the only problem I had was an issue with a trackpad, but that was fixed easily under Apple Care. One free year, three extended for $100 which is worth it on a $1,000+ investment. It has nothing to do with being a sheep. The high end laptops with Windows 8 cost just as much as a MacBook/MacAir. I don't think I have ever had a better machine than what I do now. It boots up in seconds and runs absolutely smoothly. The only thing I can say is with the flash state and how many websites use it, the battery life isn't as good as I expected. I'm not sure what the new generation of Mac's run at -- but my Air gets ~ 4.5 hours, sometimes 5 depending on the settings.

                                Go with the Mac. Orange Mane for Mac: (54) . . . Windows 8: El Guapo (1)
                                This is the key for me. I fought the transition to Mac for many years when IBM, Toshiba, even Dell made good hardware. Up until last year I was rockin' the very best $3K Windows-based laptops for business built by Lenovo, Dell, HP and Samsung. They are all absolute crap compared to the MacBook Pro unfortunately. Apple's laptop industrial design and performance is far superior to any x86-based Windows machine out there today. And to your point, the best Windows laptops cost as much as the MacBook Pros. Windows laptops are dying a quick death. The Mac OSx is solid but definitely has deficiencies like Windows.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X