Using Holiday in right spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Holiday in right spots

I had noticed something in the last game that I think makes alot of sense. When the other team is near midfield and trying to land their punt inside our 20 yard line, putting Leonard back there to field punts makes sense. He has better hands and is less likely to muff the punt in such a crucial part of the field. I also noticed that when a punt was being kicked from closer to the other teams side of the field, where a punt is more likely to be returned rather then a fair catch, Holiday is in there for those. I think this was a smart coaching decision and I think it showed during the game that it's the correct way to go moving forward. You can't just throw away the potential of those return yards by having Leonard field all the punts but you like him back there for those fair catches.

Thoughts?

Holiday, while explosive, still scares the crap out of me back there. Given Manning's ability to make 98 yard drives look easy, I'm still not convinced the value of a few extra yards is worth the risk.....but what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
      Holiday, while explosive, still scares the crap out of me back there. Given Manning's ability to make 98 yard drives look easy, I'm still not convinced the value of a few extra yards is worth the risk.....but what do I know?
      What we both know is that Boldin brings the ball out of the end zone way too often on kick offs.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
        I had noticed something in the last game that I think makes alot of sense. When the other team is near midfield and trying to land their punt inside our 20 yard line, putting Leonard back there to field punts makes sense. He has better hands and is less likely to muff the punt in such a crucial part of the field. I also noticed that when a punt was being kicked from closer to the other teams side of the field, where a punt is more likely to be returned rather then a fair catch, Holiday is in there for those. I think this was a smart coaching decision and I think it showed during the game that it's the correct way to go moving forward. You can't just throw away the potential of those return yards by having Leonard field all the punts but you like him back there for those fair catches.

Thoughts?
        Yeah, good observation. Holliday is a good to have on booming punts. Leonhard is better possessing the ball on shorter punts inside the 20. The coaching staff, once again, comes up with an effective solution.

Comment

He's a genuine threat to take one to the house and gets this offense in solid field position. Holiday needs to get the ball more. You try and get the ball to your best players as often as possible, instead of worrying about things like fumbles.

It really is that simple.

Comment

I would like to give Holiday lots of chances to prove himself. He has talent. Hate to miss out on it by giving up on him too early

I think Zona poses the prefect solution in the OP.

Comment

You know a lot about movies, Mr. Ebert.

Comment

agreed. Very solid coaching decision.

Holiday is so cat quick and comfortable on PR it is fun to watch.

If we are in the playoff with the game on the line though.... im not so sure id go Holiday in that spot unless we 'needed' a big return

Comment

I have a feeling teams are going to fear punting the ball to us for other reasons then giving the ball back to Manning.

Comment

Didn't the announcers mention something along the lines of, Manning only had 2 drives of 98 yards while in Indy?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
                      Didn't the announcers mention something along the lines of, Manning only had 2 drives of 98 yards while in Indy?
                      Yes, but that's a very misleading stat. I'm talking more 90+ overall, not just 98 and only 98. And I'd like to know how many times he actually had the opportunity to have a 98 yard drive in Indy. It's not like people drop punts at the 2 every game. It's actually pretty rare.

Comment

What actually scares me is having that little guy floating around there with those big men trying to tackle him. One of these day Holliday is going going to get folded in half a la Johnny Knox.

Comment

What about using him as an offensive weapon?

Could be a threat on screens or deep bombs. I imagine he's very raw though.

Comment

I noticed last night many defenders grabbing at his arms most likely to dislodge the ball than going for his legs..

not that they were on position to get at the legs but i saw him jerked at a couple of times..

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Stout View Post
                              What we both know is that Boldin brings the ball out of the end zone way too often on kick offs.
                              If that ****ing guy brings out another kick from inside the end zone I am going to go ballistic.

Comment

Working...
                              X