Derek Wolfe to play DE in base packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek Wolfe to play DE in base packages

According to the Denver Post, Jack Del Rio plans to use second round pick Derek Wolfe at DE in base personnel packages and kick him inside on nickel packages.

http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/d...tguid=kg3VIrXC

It must have been the only way Bowlen would agree to us drafting a defensive tackle since one killed his parents.

Comment

I think the dpost site is borked right now but so anywanys and so Wolfe will be Ayers's backup?

Comment

I just got done reading that article and liked this quote from Del Rio

"From an initial scouting look, we wondered if he was not necessarily a fit for us," Del Rio said. "The way I started, I said: 'This is the kind of guy that Pittsburgh takes, and he plays for the next 10 years. They just had a guy like that who just retired.' "

Comment

Originally posted by Bmore Manning View Post
          According to the Denver Post, Jack Del Rio plans to use second round pick Derek Wolfe at DE in base personnel packages and kick him inside on nickel packages.

http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/d...tguid=kg3VIrXC
          That can't be right.

Originally posted by barryr
          Anybody suggesting Wolfe play DE in a 4-3 doesn't know crap about football.

Comment

I love having versitile players. I am enjoying the direction the Broncos are working towards.

I wonder if there will be any WR pick ups via trade/cuts. I really hope Eric Page makes a nice splash for the team.

Comment

not keen on him being a DE in base packages as that means Ayers is off the field and we have a hole at one of the DT spots.
              but i did expect us to use him as a 3-4 end in some spots.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBrit View Post
                That can't be right.
                ouch.

Comment

bwhahah...

Comment

Hopefully they can develop Wolfe. Right now sounds like he's a tweener who they want to end up at DT

Comment

get to the QB

get to the QB

Comment

Putting Wolfe at DE would make little to no sense! Elway said when they drafted him that he would play DT. I guess Del Rio wasn't a part of him being drafted?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
                          Putting Wolfe at DE would make little to no sense! Elway said when they drafted him that he would play DT. I guess Del Rio wasn't a part of him being drafted?!?!
                          From the linked article.

It was Jack Del Rio who became the influential voice. Unemployed when he showed up at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., during Super Bowl week, Del Rio kept giving standout marks to a relentless, tough kid named Derek Wolfe. This was while Del Rio was still an unemployed NFL coach. He interviewed with Broncos head coach John Fox in Alabama for the team's defensive coordinator job.

Comment

Originally posted by Lestat View Post
                            not keen on him being a DE in base packages as that means Ayers is off the field and we have a hole at one of the DT spots.
                            but i did expect us to use him as a 3-4 end in some spots.
                            Yeah not really sure why a more dominant inside tackle would play end which causes our starting DE to sit out.

However Del Rio has seen the guy first hand so I'll trust him, for now

Comment

Yep makes sense. Lot's of us were saying this is bad news for Ayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X