Broncos scripted first 18 plays against Chiefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos scripted first 18 plays against Chiefs

Interesting. I love that Josh is allowing himself to adapt and change the way he approaches playcalling:

MaxBroncos:
    Broncos scripted first 18 plays Sunday, McD said. Helped the #Broncos v. KC. But as we saw for 'Skins Mon., scripting isn't be-all, end-all.

PostBroncos:
    Lots of talk today from Josh and Kyle about the Broncos scripting plays last week vs. Chiefs. Unusual for McD as a playcaller.

Josh took a page from Shanny looks like

now if he starts tanning and bleaching his teeth Ill be worried

Comment

I think this was the result of the Bye week. He knew what plays they were running consistently well over those 2 weeks, slapped them down on paper and in translated to the game. Can be a great tactic as long as the offense shows consistency in their practice efforts.

whoa, what just happened, I think I blacked out.

Comment

It's the best start we have had since he started coaching here, I like it

Comment

It should be noted that the Eagles scripted too - including that first play ;-)

Josh has scripted plays before according to a recent interview - but the creativity and effectiveness of this play calling was awesome. I've been ragging Josh as OC, but he did a spectacular job on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
            It's the best start we have had since he started coaching here, I like it
            I wonder where that ranked as far as our all-time starts to a game? Must have been historic in some fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Popps View Post
              I wonder where that ranked as far as our all-time starts to a game? Must have been historic in some fashion.
              Denver/Dallas Sept 13th 1998 I think Denver scored 5 straight times on offense to open that game

Over 300 yards passing, 200 yards rushing.

42 - 23 Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Popps View Post
                It was historic for KC at least. They flashed a stat that it was the largest first quarter (could have been 1st half) deficit in franchise history.

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post
                  Denver/Dallas Sept 13th 1998 I think Denver scored 5 straight times on offense to open that game

42 - 23 Denver.
                  They did, and those were the only 5 possessions of the half too.

TD became the 1st player to have 50+ yd TD runs on consecutive carries.

IIRC that was supposed to be the game of the weekend (Gumbel/Simms were the announcers), and a test to see where the Cowboys were at (6-10 previous season), and the Broncos went right through them.

Comment

I can't understand how the scripted thing works after the first play. Do you totally disregard down and distance and call what's on the script, or do you sprinkle improv plays in amongst the scripted ones?

Do you just script first down plays?

What if it's 3rd and 20 after 2 plays and play #3 is scripted to be a draw?

Comment

The script involves different plays that take into account down and distance.
                      Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedhed View Post
                        I can't understand how the scripted thing works after the first play. Do you totally disregard down and distance and call what's on the script, or do you sprinkle improv plays in amongst the scripted ones?

I think they pick 15-18 plays that they will do regardless, but adjust them according to down and distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedhed View Post

good question. would make sense if they had a play designed for each down and distance to start the game. aka 1st down 2nd down scripted and 3rd down would be either a or b depending on distance

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post

42 - 23 Denver.
                            I was at that game. I will never forget it! The Broncos completely dominated the Cowboys.

Comment

I would love to see the inner workings of an NFL team. Maybe I should look into coaching football.

Comment

Working...
                              X