X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Cutler is Jeff George reincarnated

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...8&sportCat=nfl

Jake Plummer started it.

After the 2008 season, when Jay Cutler and the Broncos became just the third team in NFL history to blow a three-game lead in the division and miss the playoffs, the former Broncos QB who always seemed to do more with less (he was 40-18 as a starter in Denver) said the physically gifted Cutler (17-20 with the Broncos) was "a helluva player."

"But," Plummer added, "Jeff George was a helluva player."

I picked up on that statement, and in ESPN The Magazine's 2009 NFL preview mentioned the uncanny comparisons between Cutler and George: two can't-miss, Hoosier-born QBs with golden arms and rotten 'tudes. Then, in December, former Ravens coach Brian Billick mentioned that Cutler, who led the league in picks, was starting to feel a little "Jeff George-ish." Pretty soon everyone was wondering if Jay Cutler was indeed the reincarnation of Jeff George, the No. 1 pick overall in 1990 whose attitude and leadership led him to three winning seasons in 12 years with five different teams.

Flem File

The Cutler-George comparisons had just started going away until last week, when Cutler single-handedly blew a game against the Redskins with four horrid interceptions (all to DeAngelo Hall) and a goal-line fumble. It was the 17th time he's thrown multiple picks in a game in 60 career starts.

As if that wasn't bad enough, before the Hall of Fame could even ask for Hall's jersey, Cutler was at the postgame podium in his perma-smirk, spewing what has to be the most asinine, delusional, out-of-touch and arrogant quote of the year. "There's no reason to shy away from Hall," said Cutler. "I mean, that's hard for me to say, throwing four picks at a guy, but I'd still, if we had to play them tomorrow, I'd go at him every time, if we could."

The Washington Post compared Cutler's statement to Napoleon saying he'd invade Russia in the winter every time, if he could.

And so, that night, the comparisons started up again.

On ESPN's Sunday Night Countdown, Cris Carter said: "Great talent in Cutler, but what I'm seeing is the same thing I saw in another great talent, talent undeveloped and the perfect storm. Cutler and Mike Martz equals a guy, Jeff George: Great talent, undeveloped."

So I decided to dig a little deeper and work up a side-by-side comparison between Jay Cutler and Jeff George. And what I found is frightening. Creepy even.

In fact, I think we can all stop arguing about the Jay Cutler-Jeff George connection and, instead, start investigating why no one has ever seen these two in the same room together.

See for yourself.

Last edited by BMarsh615; 10-29-2010, 06:46 AM.

From last year. Actually it's like any other Cutler game.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDQScvxHCFw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDQScvxHCFw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

que in the excuse of:

1. He never had a good RB
      2. His oline stunk
      3. He had poor OC's....

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Finkle View Post
        que in the excuse of:

1. He never had a good RB
        2. His oline stunk
        3. He had poor OC's....
        chicago sun times, after his 4 pick game against washington, said that cutler is very low on the list of chicagos problems, and that most of the picks werent his fault.

Comment

Originally posted by tsiguy96 View Post
          chicago sun times, after his 4 pick game against washington, said that cutler is very low on the list of chicagos problems, and that most of the picks werent his fault.
          the pick 6 to Hall is the only one I'll give him a pass on. The others were just poor choices.

Comment

Cutler's issue is arrogance plain and simple, that bull after the game of "I'd keep through at Hall if we played them tomorrow" smacked of rookie arrogance/ignorance. Leinart against Bailey - esque.

Cutler with Orton's attitude =

Comment

IMO, those were terrible throws. It wouldn't have mattered if Tito Paul was the CB.

don't forget Cutler and Eddie Royal ended Hall's Raider career by braking the NFL yardage record for a rookie WR in 2008.

but oh well...be careful what you wish for Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Meck77 View Post
                From last year. Actually it's like any other Cutler game.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDQScvxHCFw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDQScvxHCFw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
                This was the worst. His defense held San Fran to 10 points while Cutler manages to throw 5 picks.

Comment

That chart is amazing in it's similarity of the two.

I have been calling Cutler Jeff George for years but I never realized they were this similar.

Comment

Loking at that video, is really sad.
                    Cutler could've had a better career in Denver.
                    For as much as I was a fan of his, I don't feel that bad after all.
                    He decided to quit our team and whatever is happening to him right now, it's just karma.

On his last game as a Bronco in the San Diego game where he stunk the joint, the thing I remember the most is that right after the game, Cutler dispappear. He didn't stay for postgame interviews. Nest day he was on his way out of town.
                    That pissed me off a great deal.
                    I was hoping the guy would have a better career. So far, it looks like Mel Kiper was right all along...

Comment

Originally posted by strafen View Post
                      Loking at that video, is really sad.
                      Cutler could've had a better career in Denver.
                      For as much as I was a fan of his, I don't feel that bad after all.
                      He decided to quit our team and whatever is happening to him right now, it's just karma.

On his last game as a Bronco in the San Diego game where he stunk the joint, the thing I remember the most is that right after the game, Cutler dispappear. He didn't stay for postgame interviews. Nest day he was on his way out of town.
                      That pissed me off a great deal.
                      I was hoping the guy would have a better career. So far, it looks like Mel Kiper was right all along...
                      Weren't you one of the guys slamming the Bronco's organization for trading Cutler and not sucking up to his demands?

Comment

Just leave him alone!

Comment

I love these threads.

Because I was ****ing right about that nozzle from the start.

**** you all Im never letting it die.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                            Weren't you one of the guys slamming the Bronco's organization for trading Cutler and not sucking up to his demands?
                            Yes I was. And who could've envisioned what transpired later on?
                            Hindsight is 20-20
                            Nothing wrong with that.
                            I thought the hiring of McDaniels could've positively influenced Cutler's career, had he remained in Denver.

I have and will always have a great deal of admiration for Mr. Bowlen, and when Mr. Bowlen intervened to try to talk to Cutler in which it appears Cutler never returned his phone calls, that did it for me.

When everything was said and done, and looking back, Cutler did it all to himself. I don't blame him for getting his ego bruised when he found out he was considered to be traded. He is young and he just acted his age.
                            That being said, he made it easier for me to get over it and move on...

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Chalk View Post
                              I love these threads.

Because I was ****ing right about that nozzle from the start.

**** you all Im never letting it die.
                              Me too. A bunch of homers crying "oh Josh doesn't really suck ...."

Folks, he sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X