Dude, Where's My Religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude, Where's My Religion?

What's a "War, Religion and Politics" forum without a religion thread?

This is the place to show your team colors and pitch your gods, demi-gods, and goddesses (or lack thereof.)

Or, on the other hand, it could be a place from whence to launch your own virtual crusade or holy war.

Try to be respectful, keep it clean and above the belt.

Have at it, boys and girls...
    Christianity
    194.67%
    Judaism
    144.00%
    Islam
    145.33%
    Hinduism
    141.33%
    Buddhism
    146.67%
    Taoism
    142.67%
    Sikhism
    141.33%
    Agnosticism
    172.00%
    Atheism
    182.67%
    Other (please explain)
    149.33%

This is not going to turn out well. You need to explain why you selected "other"

Comment

Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
      This is not going to turn out well. You need to explain why you selected "other"
      Heh!

Since when does anything ever turn out well on this forum?

I selected "other" because I'm sort of an eclectic and/or syncretist where religions are concerned.

That is, I sort of take those aspects that ring true - from all traditions - and leave the rest.

If I had to define my religious beliefs, I guess I would have to call them a blend of "experiential quantum physics" and "spiritual atheism" or something along those lines.

Comment

I have seen no empirical evidence for or against a supreme being....

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
          Heh!

Since when does anything ever turn out well on this forum?

I selected "other" because I'm sort of an eclectic and/or syncretist where religions are concerned.

That is, I sort of take those aspects that ring true - from all traditions - and leave the rest.

If I had to define my religious beliefs, I guess I would have to call them a blend of "experiential quantum physics" and "spiritual atheism" or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Large View Post
            You don't consider the fossil record empirical evidence...

Comment

An argument can made made that Evolution and a Supreme Being are not mutually exclusive. The bible says 6,000 years, but not too many empiricists take that document seriously.

Comment

"Supreme being" sounds like the dude with the white beard sitting on a throne beyond the stars.

I wonder if even religious people believe in that image anymore?

Comment

An argument can made made that Evolution and a Supreme Being are not mutually exclusive. The bible says 6,000 years, but not too many empiricists take that document seriously.
                  Trouble is, there is no empirical evidence for the existence of a supreme being, and all the logical "proofs" are unsound.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
                    Trouble is, there is no empirical evidence for the existence of a supreme being, and all the logical "proofs" are unsound.
                    A God, or supreme being will on be proven upon ones death... Makes is hard to solidify theories in the living...

Comment

I like the poll, other than the fact its not public.

I fall squarely in the Christian category.

Comment

Fossils just prove that man-made religions are wrong. The infinite cosmos is beyond our comprehension. Einstein was a smart guy, and even he can't begin to grasp the meaning of the universe.

“Your question is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's Pantheism. I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers, because he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and the body as one, not as two separate things.”
                        ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
                          I like the poll, other than the fact its not public.

I fall squarely in the Christian category.
                          I made it anonymous because I thought some members might want to keep their votes private.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                            Fossils just prove that man-made religions are wrong. The infinite cosmos is beyond our comprehension. Einstein was a smart guy, and even he can't begin to grasp the meaning of the universe.

“Your question is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's Pantheism. I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers, because he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and the body as one, not as two separate things.”
                            ― Albert Einstein
                            That's a great quote.

In the end, even the guy whose work in physics facilitated the development of the atomic bomb had to acknowledge the limits of rationalism.

As for the meaning of the universe, perhaps there is none.

"What is the meaning of a flower?" as some Buddhist sage or other once asked.

Comment

In what part of the bible does it say 6000 yrs?

Comment

Working...
                              X