Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have Zero impact

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...-rules-america

The new study, with the jaw-clenching title of "Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens," is forthcoming in the fall 2014 edition of Perspectives on Politics. Its authors, Martin Gilens of Princeton University and Benjamin Page of Northwestern University, examined survey data on 1,779 national policy issues for which they could gauge the preferences of average citizens, economic elites, mass-based interest groups and business-dominated interest groups. They used statistical methods to determine the influence of each of these four groups on policy outcomes, including both policies that are adopted and rejected.
    The analysts found that when controlling for the power of economic elites and organized interest groups, the influence of ordinary Americans registers at a "non-significant, near-zero level." The analysts further discovered that rich individuals and business-dominated interest groups dominate the policymaking process. The mass-based interest groups had minimal influence compared to the business-based interest groups.

The study also debunks the notion that the policy preferences of business and the rich reflect the views of common citizens. They found to the contrary that such preferences often sharply diverge and when they do, the economic elites and business interests almost always win and the ordinary Americans lose.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...#ixzz3Angpgf82
    Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

But, you don't understand. You have a chance to become an elite yourself! And then you will reap the benefits!

Life will be good.

Comment

......and Water IS Wet.

Comment

Came in here expecting an AtheNihilist type conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
          But, you don't understand. You have a chance to become an elite yourself! And then you will reap the benefits!

Life will be good.
          Yeah - all you have to do is keep blowing billionaires, and the wealth will eventually trickle down their collective leg to you.

Just ask any right-wing lemming on this forum.

Comment

forum response; Wait until my party gets in power than we will fix this

Comment

This is not an uplifting thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ghwk View Post
                We still have the Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by ghwk View Post
                  It's not. Some of it is the reality of the situation. What it does illustrate is how people who continue to buy into ideologies of Left/Right | Liberal/Conservative have been manipulated to feel as though they've won when their "group" wields power. Meanwhile; their actually losing - due to a cognitive and/or logical fallacy they accept it, blaming the "others" for the failures.

This information should offer empowerment. Start asking better questions, and being better students of history.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                    forum response; Wait until my party gets in power than we will fix this
                    The bird of fascism needs a left & right wing.

Comment

Originally posted by alkemical View Post
                      It's not. Some of it is the reality of the situation. What it does illustrate is how people who continue to buy into ideologies of Left/Right | Liberal/Conservative have been manipulated to feel as though they've won when their "group" wields power. Meanwhile; their actually losing - due to a cognitive and/or logical fallacy they accept it, blaming the "others" for the failures.

This information should offer empowerment. Start asking better questions, and being better students of history.
                      I think its ok to have be divided on issues like America is today. The major problem in my opinion (other than awareness of issues) is theres simply no respect shown by people towards others with differing opinions. Its severely lacking here in the USA. Sometimes I feel like people would vote for a knowingly deceitful, power hungry ass hat from their party before they would vote for the other side, character be damned.

Comment

Not sure how applicable this theory is to the present day insofar as only one side or ideology, i.e., the right, has wielded power in America for the last few decades.

Obama is little more than Republican Light. Clinton was only able to retain power by making dramatic compromises with the right and by co-opting GOP positions in some instances.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
                          I think its ok to have be divided on issues like America is today. The major problem in my opinion (other than awareness of issues) is theres simply no respect shown by people towards others with differing opinions. Its severely lacking here in the USA. Sometimes I feel like people would vote for a knowingly deceitful, power hungry ass hat from their party before they would vote for the other side, character be damned.
                          It's even a lack of respect. It is cognitive dissonance that is illustrating these failures.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
                            Not sure how applicable this theory is to the present day insofar as only one side or ideology, i.e., the right, has wielded power in America for the last few decades.

Obama is little more than Republican Light. Clinton was only able to retain power by making dramatic compromises with the right and by co-opting GOP positions in some instances.
                            The bird of Fascism needs left & right wings to fly.

Comment

The bird of Fascism needs left & right wings to fly.
                              Not in this country. Just two right wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X