Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salon Rips Obama a New One

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Salon Rips Obama a New One

    And deservedly so, if you ask me. But not for the reasons the Tea Partiers think.

    Thomas Frank ponders the Obama library/museum:

    In approaching this subject, let us first address the historical situation of the Obama administration. The task of museums, like that of history generally, is to document periods of great change. The task facing the makers of the Obama museum, however, will be pretty much exactly the opposite: how to document a time when America should have changed but didn’t. Its project will be to explain an age when every aspect of societal breakdown was out in the open and the old platitudes could no longer paper it over—when the meritocracy was clearly corrupt, when the financial system had devolved into organized thievery, when everyone knew that the politicians were bought and the worst criminals went unprosecuted and the middle class was in a state of collapse and the newspaper pundits were like street performers miming “seriousness” for an audience that had lost its taste for mime and seriousness both. It was a time when every thinking person could see that the reigning ideology had failed, that an epoch had ended, that the ****ty consensus ideas of the 1980s had finally caved in—and when an unlikely champion arose from the mean streets of Chicago to keep the whole thing propped up nevertheless.

    The Obama team, as the president once announced to a delegation of investment bankers, was “the only thing between you and the pitchforks,” and in retrospect these words seem not only to have been a correct assessment of the situation at the moment but a credo for his entire term in office. For my money, they should be carved in stone over the entrance to his monument: Barack Obama as the one-man rescue squad for an economic order that had aroused the fury of the world. Better: Obama as the awesomely talented doctor who kept the corpse of a dead philosophy lumbering along despite it all.

    http://www.salon.com/2014/07/20/righ...cy_is_failure/

  • #2
    Too bad Salon or any other liberal rag don't talk about how Obama had Democrat majorities in both houses in the first 2 years of his administration and did nothing about it until after the House of Representatives was taken by the GOP in 2011 and suddenly the cries of "Obstructionist!" and "Party of No" have been echoing in the media ever since.

    Then again, they're liberal rags, so I answered my own question.

    Who needs to get to the bottom of why Democrats didn't do **** when they had full control of the US government from early 2009 to early 2011 instead of bucking off blame of their inaction of their supposed pet programs like amnesty on Republicans?

    And you suckers lap it up.

    Damned you obstructionists! You're in the way of our progress!

    But who needs facts when you can simply parrot the blame-the-other press releases of the day and be manipulated into scapegoating and hatred?

    Comment


    • #3
      Democrats did nothing the first 2 years because they didn't want to. Instead waited for the republicans to gain the House, which they knew was likely going to happen, and complain they can't do anything. Typical politics, but bozos still believe Obama and his change BS.

      Comment


      • #4
        So far we have two, dumbass "Didn't read but I'll mouth off anyway" posts, which from the Right is considered the norm, I suppose. Why get educated when it's more fun to make noise?

        Comment


        • #5
          barryr has a well-known modus operandi.

          Don't act so surprised, Ro.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
            So far we have two, dumbass "Didn't read but I'll mouth off anyway" posts, which from the Right is considered the norm, I suppose. Why get educated when it's more fun to make noise?
            , like you read anything other than liberal rags that tell you what you want to hear. Yeah, that's being educated.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Requiem View Post
              barryr has a well-known modus operandi.

              Don't act so surprised, Ro.
              Says the guy who can't go a day without sending countless negative rep bombs to a bunch of people.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by barryr View Post
                Says the guy who can't go a day without sending countless negative rep bombs to a bunch of people.
                Wrong again, Wildflecken.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Do you guys read your own $h!t? Its about how he didn't give away more free $h!t that someone else had to pay for.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
                    Do you guys read your own $h!t? Its about how he didn't give away more free $h!t that someone else had to pay for.
                    That's how you read this?

                    Its project will be to explain an age when every aspect of societal breakdown was out in the open and the old platitudes could no longer paper it over—when the meritocracy was clearly corrupt, when the financial system had devolved into organized thievery, when everyone knew that the politicians were bought and the worst criminals went unprosecuted and the middle class was in a state of collapse and the newspaper pundits were like street performers miming “seriousness” for an audience that had lost its taste for mime and seriousness both. It was a time when every thinking person could see that the reigning ideology had failed, that an epoch had ended, that the ****ty consensus ideas of the 1980s had finally caved in—and when an unlikely champion arose from the mean streets of Chicago to keep the whole thing propped up nevertheless.

                    The Obama team, as the president once announced to a delegation of investment bankers, was “the only thing between you and the pitchforks,” and in retrospect these words seem not only to have been a correct assessment of the situation at the moment but a credo for his entire term in office. For my money, they should be carved in stone over the entrance to his monument: Barack Obama as the one-man rescue squad for an economic order that had aroused the fury of the world. Better: Obama as the awesomely talented doctor who kept the corpse of a dead philosophy lumbering along despite it all.


                    You can't fault a man for being stupid. It might not be his fault. But when you find a man who works at it as hard as you do, that's something else entirely.

                    Of course, on the Right they practice "collective stupidity." Their ideas of supply side economics, tax cuts for the rich, free trade deals, unilateral pre-emptive war, deregulation and safety net cuts have been in practice since Reagan. What have we got? A destroyed country. Wreckage. A middle class that has been, in one generation, wiped out. What is the Rights' dumb-ass response? More. More tax cuts for the rich. More deregulation. More free trade deals. More supply side. Eliminate the safety net.

                    They've taken stupidity to an art form.

                    Perhaps this explains why a Right Winger can look at pictures of Gaza where blocks of housing have been leveled, like something out of WWII, and claim, with a straight face, that "They're using human shields!" It's a triumph of stupidity over reality.
                    Last edited by Rohirrim; 07-27-2014, 07:05 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      re. obama, i am most surprised by my own naivete. i really thought he would behave more ethically and not like the Chicago mobster he turned out to be.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by orinjkrush View Post
                        re. obama, i am most surprised by my own naivete. i really thought he would behave more ethically and not like the Chicago mobster he turned out to be.
                        I think he'll turn out to be like Clinton. All his dreams will come true. He'll be rich and strolling down the fairways of Augusta with members of the Bush family and major banking executives. A member of the club.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
                          Too bad Salon or any other liberal rag don't talk about how Obama had Democrat majorities in both houses in the first 2 years of his administration and did nothing about it until after the House of Representatives was taken by the GOP in 2011 and suddenly the cries of "Obstructionist!" and "Party of No" have been echoing in the media ever since.

                          Then again, they're liberal rags, so I answered my own question.

                          Who needs to get to the bottom of why Democrats didn't do **** when they had full control of the US government from early 2009 to early 2011 instead of bucking off blame of their inaction of their supposed pet programs like amnesty on Republicans?

                          And you suckers lap it up.

                          Damned you obstructionists! You're in the way of our progress!

                          But who needs facts when you can simply parrot the blame-the-other press releases of the day and be manipulated into scapegoating and hatred?
                          What do you mean did nothing. They passed health care which has been talked about for a 100 years now.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
                            Too bad Salon or any other liberal rag don't talk about how Obama had Democrat majorities in both houses in the first 2 years of his administration and did nothing about it until after the House of Representatives was taken by the GOP in 2011 and suddenly the cries of "Obstructionist!" and "Party of No" have been echoing in the media ever since.

                            Then again, they're liberal rags, so I answered my own question.

                            Who needs to get to the bottom of why Democrats didn't do **** when they had full control of the US government from early 2009 to early 2011 instead of bucking off blame of their inaction of their supposed pet programs like amnesty on Republicans?

                            And you suckers lap it up.

                            Damned you obstructionists! You're in the way of our progress!

                            But who needs facts when you can simply parrot the blame-the-other press releases of the day and be manipulated into scapegoating and hatred?
                            They passed one of the single largest pieces of legislation in the history of the United States...

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X