Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot is awesome

Crime down and revenue up in Colorado since start of marijuana legalization

The great green experiment underway in Colorado is continuing to yield considerable results after five full months of marijuana legalization, according to the latest statistics out of the first state in America to lift the prohibition on pot.

Crime in Colorado’s capital city, Denver, has dropped by more than a tenth, local law enforcement data reveals, and the state as a whole is expected to collect around $30 million in revenue this year as a result of weed taxes.

Colorado became the first of the 50 states to allow adults to legally purchase recreational marijuana at the start of 2014, and advocates, critics, politicians and the public from coast-to-coast have been looking that way ever since to see what that precedent-setting decision could mean for their own localized efforts to reform weed laws. Nearly half a year later, evidence suggests the experiment is largely so far a success.

Between January 1 and April 30, violent crime and property crime in Denver — the most populated city in Colorado, in terms of both people and weed dispensaries — dropped 10.6 percent compared to that same span one year earlier, official statistics reveal. Homicides have dropped to less than half of last year’s levels, and motor vehicle theft has shrunk by over one-third.

Economically speaking, rolling back the weed ban in Colorado has done wonders as well. The Associated Press reported this week that nearly $19 million in recreational marijuana was sold throughout the state in just the month of March, with $1.9 million of that going immediately to Denver to be divvied up by lawmakers to various state programs.

By the end of the year, weed taxes are expected to net Colorado around $30 million, which as of this week will be used on a plan that puts that money into mostly child drug use prevention and outreach, the AP reported, which means more school nurses and public education efforts funded by marijuana excises. The New York Times reported this week that those taxes have so far provided the state with around $12.6 million. According to Reuters, the latest year-end projection in total revenue generated is around $98 million—exceeding the state’s original estimate by 40 percent.

For the rest of the article: http://rt.com/usa/163644-colorado-marijuana-crime-drop/

I love Pot! I wish I worked at a place that didn't random drug test.

Comment

Haven't done it since college 30 years ago. Don't miss it a bit.

Comment

But, but...its a Gateway.....

Comment

Originally posted by B-Large View Post
          But, but...its a Gateway.....
          Dont get me wrong. I love pot. But it is a gateway drug. Ever heard of "pot depression". After a while pot will stop working for you. People start doing uppers just to do pot to feel that high again. That wh3n you get in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
            Dont get me wrong. I love pot. But it is a gateway drug. Ever heard of "pot depression". After a while pot will stop working for you. People start doing uppers just to do pot to feel that high again. That wh3n you get in trouble.
            I thought that is what the potato chips were for?

Comment

They just need to buy better stuff.

Comment

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Comment

Originally posted by W*GS View Post
                  Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
                  So you disagree? We'll see. I bet the one year crime rates for Denver will be significantly lower than last year.

Comment

Meh, alcohol has the same problem.

Comment

Laughable.

Comment

As someone who has smoked pot almost everyday for 20 years , and has the money to do whatever drug he wants . I have never done or wanted to do any other drug , so no idea how it is a gateway drug.

Comment

Originally posted by TDmvp View Post
                          As someone who has smoked pot almost everyday for 20 years , and has the money to do whatever drug he wants . I have never done or wanted to do any other drug , so no idea how it is a gateway drug.

Comment

Originally posted by TDmvp View Post
                            SO TDMVP, where do you get your pot from?

Comment

Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
                              SO TDMVP, where do you get your pot from?
                              Ohio ... ...

Comment

Working...
                              X