No announcement yet.

Paid family medical leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We could always look at the needs of our society through the eyes of something other than profit? Weird, I know. Hell, we could even get really wild and choose to judge value by some rubric other than money? How psycho would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
      And how much debt will BO pass on to the next generation of American children?
      answer: More than all the other presidents combined

Comment

Politics and federal policy has become a joke.

The utter stupidity of both sides of it is the sideshow.

Comment

Don't hire chicks of baby popping age. That solves it for businesses if they can find an excuse to not hire them. Boom! Done.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
            Could it be Hillary's golden ticket?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...al-leave.html#
            Golden ticket? You think with all the **** going on with our country that Family Paid Leave Act will be on top of every voters list? She needs to backtrack the **** away from anything that is toxic in the name of Obama. She needs to come up with ideas that will get enough people rallied up. This isn't a golden ticket. It is part of many talking points on the campaign trail.

Comment

If anybody thinks Hillary won't be Obama II, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                Don't hire chicks of baby popping age. That solves it for businesses if they can find an excuse to not hire them. Boom! Done.
                Newsflash: many Fortune 500 companies offer leave not only for mother's but for father's as well. My employer does.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                  Golden ticket?
                  Read the article. A compelling case is made. It polls well, and women in particular would support it with a solid majority. The potential political win is clear.

And just to be clear, the purpose of this thread wasn't to support the policy. There are a lot of issues to consider and a lot of questions to answer. The point of the thread was the potential political implications. Hillary probably won't be bold enough to go for it, but if she did it would be very interesting to see how it played out.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                    If anybody thinks Hillary won't be Obama II, you haven't been paying attention.
                    I am not a Hillary fan at all. But she's probably different than Obama in as many ways as she's similar.

Comment

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
                      Get er done! Take away welfare for moms who don't work and give it to the ladies who work for a living! great idea.
                      This will go over cuts head, but some of you may appreciate the impacts of perception on opinions about welfare.

Using large-scale survey experiments, Lene AarÙ‘e and Michael Bang Petersen challenge the prevalent perception that Americans hold highly skeptical opinions about social welfare while Scandinavians, including Danes, tend to love the welfare state. Rather, Americans and Danes use similar deep-seated, social instincts to reason about who deserves social welfare despite their exposure to different welfare state cultures: If Danes and Americans perceive welfare recipients as lazy, they oppose social welfare. If the perceive social welfare recipients as making an effect to find work and contribute to society, they are likely to support it.
                      http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/usappblog/201...+and+Policy%29

Comment

Unfortunately, the indoctrinated don't question their own motives.

Comment

I am not a Hillary fan at all. But she's probably different than Obama in as many ways as she's similar.
                          I don't think so. She would have done the exact same things Obama has.

1. Foreign policy - same (bumbling cluster****)
                          2. Obamacare - she fully supported it, still does
                          3. Constant division and lying - same
                          4. Bailouts - same

I know you probably have a different view of them than that, but I see no difference. The only thing you could expect different from Hillary is a little more loopy instability with that crazed look in her face. Same results though.

Comment

This will go over cuts head, but some of you may appreciate the impacts of perception on opinions about welfare.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/usappblog/201...+and+Policy%29
                            Look at the make up of Scandinavians and what America has become. We have about 50% of Angelino kids that cannot graduate high school. While the American spirit of individuality is in many of us, we have so many that ask our country, "I am here. Where is my free stuff?" Those countries have many items paid for by the government and they have been used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
                              Against it for now. Need more evidence. Yes, it's a nice benefit for parents to be but giving people like 14 weeks of paid leave would seem to be a little too onerous on business. I would need more than a couple polls from CA and NJ to be convinced on issues like lost profits...especially with respect to smaller businesses who have smaller margins. Much larger firms could probably absorb the hit, though.

The other data which would be helpful here is whether it would spur child births as our current births per woman ratio is not good enough right now to sustain long term economic growth. While a good benefit, I doubt that would incentivize more births since getting a few months paid is pennies in relation to the investment needed to raise the child over time.
                              And that's why larger corporations would be for it, potentially wipes out their competition that have smaller margins. That's why companies like Wal-Mart were very much on board with Obamacare.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X