Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Religion a Product of Evolution?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Religion a Product of Evolution?

    “The Bonobo and the Atheist” is an illuminating journey into the very beginnings of morality. It is highly unlikely that those who profess a religion loudly would be caught with any book with the word “atheist” in its title. And that would be a shame, because de Waal’s book, more than many atheist diatribes, is reaching for something more profound. Although he insists that religion grew out of the seeds of morality, he also acknowledges that all human cultures exhibit this trait for some reason. And that reason may be that religion actually does aid in an individual’s and a group’s desire for order, fairness, cooperation and altruism. This atheist seems to be saying that religion, but more broadly morality, is essential to our survival as a species, because we would not have evolved to have it if it wasn’t.
    http://www.truthdig.com/arts_culture...heist_20140620

  • #2
    Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
    “The Bonobo and the Atheist” is an illuminating journey into the very beginnings of morality. It is highly unlikely that those who profess a religion loudly would be caught with any book with the word “atheist” in its title. And that would be a shame, because de Waal’s book, more than many atheist diatribes, is reaching for something more profound. Although he insists that religion grew out of the seeds of morality, he also acknowledges that all human cultures exhibit this trait for some reason. And that reason may be that religion actually does aid in an individual’s and a group’s desire for order, fairness, cooperation and altruism. This atheist seems to be saying that religion, but more broadly morality, is essential to our survival as a species, because we would not have evolved to have it if it wasn’t.
    http://www.truthdig.com/arts_culture...heist_20140620
    Every quality of every living thing is a product of evolution.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Fedaykin View Post
      Every quality of every living thing is a product of evolution.
      Except Gingers, they're the devil's work.

      Comment


      • #4
        I can't comment too thoroughly because I just ordered the book from the library. This isn't the first time I've heard the idea suggested. Because we are social beings, morality and fairness are critical elements of our survival. When the tribes got too big, a higher power had to be created to enforce the rules of societal ethics. Maybe this helps explain why, when people become rich and powerful, many of them feel that they no longer have to abide by societal norms? They no longer need the social unit for their survival, so what the hell?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Fedaykin View Post
          Every quality of every living thing is a product of evolution.
          Yep /end thread

          Comment


          • #6
            Evolution is a religion in and of itself...

            Comment


            • #7
              You might want to check out Dr Rick Strassman's book about DMT, the Spirit Molecule.

              IMO he did some fine research, though we are a long long way from answering the deep questions.

              Start with my review of Strassman's book at Amazon. MHG

              http://www.amazon.com/DMT-Molecule-R...rick+strassman

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mhgaffney View Post
                You might want to check out Dr Rick Strassman's book about DMT, the Spirit Molecule.
                Not only are you a scumbag corpse-robber, you're a 1st-class New-Age-y dickhead.

                What is the soul made of?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
                  Evolution is a religion in and of itself...
                  L0L.

                  If you believe that, then you might enjoy this guy's books...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bowtown View Post
                    Except Gingers, they're the devil's work.
                    Take that back.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
                      Evolution is a religion in and of itself...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think a more interesting question is how religion does and will evolve over time.

                        Take any major religion today and look at how it has changed in parallel with societal shifts or man's new understanding of the world around her.

                        Religion is a framework designed by man to grapple with all the big questions that science can't grapple with (and by that token, atheism).

                        What is interesting is thinking about a scenario in which science and religion converge so that they can expand their mutual understanding of the world by leveraging the strengths of the other.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Mythology explains what reason can't.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                            Mythology explains what reason can't.
                            I think you'd be better off saying mythology explains things that the scientific method can not.

                            Because deductive reasoning is actually a pretty central way that theists conclude that there is a god.

                            I'd wager most religious people in the first world, today, don't use the mythology of their religion in place of science. They use it in parallel with deductive reasoning and faith to understand god and love and eternity. Basically, things that science can't grapple with.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Key word being MYTHology. Religion at its core is based on one thing, that thing being faith.
                              The difference between science and religion is science doesn't need you to believe in it in order for it to be true.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X