Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old is Earth

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How old is Earth

    I understand there are many Christians but then they interrupt the bible to suit their beliefs.... is this crazy?

    How old is the earth and explain yourself on your belief.... thanks... go Broncos

  • #2
    Contrary to popular belief the bible makes no claim of how old the Earth is. There have been biblical scholars who try to use geneaology to come to a date the Earth was created. The whole the Earth is 10 thousand yrs old I think comes from that. Some scholar in the 1600's that tried to figure it out.

    Also the language translation to English not accurate. Some of the words just don't translate right which is why IMO you get stories of people living to be 1000 yrs old. We know that humans don't live that long.

    I think science puts the age at over 4 billion yrs old.

    Comment


    • #3
      Our weekly thread, if not daily, of Christianity is bad. If you mean "interpret", then what do you think many scientists have been doing? If they weren't interpreting to fit beliefs, then there would be a consensus whether there is global warming or cooling, which it keeps going back and forth all the time, much less the reason other than big bad U.S. at fault while countries like China and India pollute away without much to say about that. Most of the sane know the planet has been doing it's own thing since the start, so trying to lay the blame on people is idiotic and just because one feels that way, doesn't mean people believe we should pollute away.

      As for how old the world is, I have no idea. You started the thread, but didn't state your opinion.

      Comment


      • #4
        Who gives a **** how old the earth is? If you are lucky, you will live 80 years and some change. Enjoy the short time we have here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
          Contrary to popular belief the bible makes no claim of how old the Earth is. There have been biblical scholars who try to use geneaology to come to a date the Earth was created. The whole the Earth is 10 thousand yrs old I think comes from that. Some scholar in the 1600's that tried to figure it out.

          Also the language translation to English not accurate. Some of the words just don't translate right which is why IMO you get stories of people living to be 1000 yrs old. We know that humans don't live that long.

          I think science puts the age at over 4 billion yrs old.
          So what do you think? 10,000 or 4 billion?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by barryr View Post
            Our weekly thread, if not daily, of Christianity is bad. If you mean "interpret", then what do you think many scientists have been doing? If they weren't interpreting to fit beliefs, then there would be a consensus whether there is global warming or cooling, which it keeps going back and forth all the time, much less the reason other than big bad U.S. at fault while countries like China and India pollute away without much to say about that. Most of the sane know the planet has been doing it's own thing since the start, so trying to lay the blame on people is idiotic and just because one feels that way, doesn't mean people believe we should pollute away.

            As for how old the world is, I have no idea. You started the thread, but didn't state your opinion.
            No hostility here, I am just wondering what people think.

            Comment


            • #7
              Twelve.

              Comment


              • #8
                Duh, 2014 years old.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Older than dirt

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    42.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by W*GS View Post
                      42.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
                        So what do you think? 10,000 or 4 billion?
                        What does it matter? how about I say 3.5 billion just to be different. I don't need science to tell me the Earth is 10 thousand yrs old to believe in God.

                        The notion the bible says its 10 thousand yrs old is wrong. Many Christians have things wrong and have tried to make the bible say things it doesn't say.

                        Could someone give me the passage were the bible states the Earth is 10 thousand yrs old?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Both the young Earth and 10k Earth science is fascinating.

                          We have no idea, but I am going to say thousands due to evolution (not of people, but of other animals and habitats)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
                            Could someone give me the passage were the bible states the Earth is 10 thousand yrs old?
                            Book of Genesis is probably a good place to start.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jhat01 View Post
                              Who gives a **** how old the earth is? If you are lucky, you will live 80 years and some change. Enjoy the short time we have here.
                              Amen

                              "Such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be there."
                              -Robert Hunter, A Box of Rain

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X