The ACA covering more people than first reported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
    No. Just want to make sure you understand the difference between an insurance policy and a loan.
    Do you understand the difference between 'insurance' and 'denial of service'?

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
      That is exactly my point. Did you watch the short clip? The problem is who decides this all important 'rationing'. The greater problem is it will take 60 senate votes to repeal the law and after 2017 there is no recourse to repeal the law the way it is currently written. Watch the clip.
      Are there provisions in Obamacare that allow government intervention of treatments, or are the insurance companies still doing that??

The point is simple. The insurance industry have made treatment decisions based upon cost for decades.

If they can 'deny service' by preventing treatment, that override the doctors/hospitals, then that's a 'death panel.'

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBrit View Post
        Do you understand the difference between 'insurance' and 'denial of service'?
        Dear State Farm. I know you don't know me, because I've never done business with you. But recently my house has been diagnosed with terminal black mold due to a plumbing issue while I was away on vacation. I've been told the house will have to be demolished and rebuilt. Alas, I currently have no homeowners policy. The inspector said I should inquire with local banks to see what it would cost to get started on a rebuild. But it turns out they want me to pay for THE WHOLE THING! Anyway, I was hoping I could just sign up with you guys, since I heard you completely paid to rebuild that one dude's house when it burned down last year and he was only paying you like a couple hundred bucks a month. That's the plan I'd like to sign up for. Please let me know when I can start.

Sincerely,
        Thomas J. Proggie

Comment

Are there provisions in Obamacare that allow government intervention of treatments, or are the insurance companies still doing that??

The point is simple. The insurance industry have made treatment decisions based upon cost for decades.

If they can 'deny service' by preventing treatment, that override the doctors/hospitals, then that's a 'death panel.'
          So your plan is to fix something that was broken by replacing it with an unknown that may well be more "broken" with no recourse to get rid of it?

Comment

Nobody denies the need for health care reform. Obamacare is likely not the answer but the main issue is "We the People" will have no way to change what is yet unclear. Do you trust your government that much?

Comment

Dear State Farm. I know you don't know me, because I've never done business with you. But recently my house has been diagnosed with terminal black mold due to a plumbing issue while I was away on vacation. I've been told the house will have to be demolished and rebuilt. Alas, I currently have no homeowners policy. The inspector said I should inquire with local banks to see what it would cost to get started on a rebuild. But it turns out they want me to pay for THE WHOLE THING! Anyway, I was hoping I could just sign up with you guys, since I heard you completely paid to rebuild that one dude's house when it burned down last year and he was only paying you like a couple hundred bucks a month. That's the plan I'd like to sign up for. Please let me know when I can start.

Sincerely,
              Thomas J. Proggie
              I didn't think you understood.

Denial of service is when, for instance' a cancer patient, who has paid premiums for years, is denied treatment because the insurance company deems it 'inappropriate' ie too expensive.

Your attempt at an analogy isn't in the ballpark. Denial of service happens after a patient has been insured and paid premiums.

Comment

I didn't think you understood.

Denial of service is when, for instance' a cancer patient, who has paid premiums for years, is denied treatment because the insurance company deems it 'inappropriate' ie too expensive.

Your attempt at an analogy isn't in the ballpark. Denial of service happens after a patient has been insured and paid premiums.
                You're the one who led off with pre-existing conditions. Something which by sheer definition can't be 'insured'

As for the rest, every type of insurance everywhere contains cost-containment schemes. Even (especially) if provided directly by the government.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                  So your plan is to fix something that was broken by replacing it with an unknown that may well be more "broken" with no recourse to get rid of it?
                  Not my plan. Obamacare was passed in the middle of the night. I didn't understand it then, and sure as hell don;'t understand it now.

One thing I do know is that pre-existing conditions are no longer an issue.

That in itself helps millions. and will not be repealed.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis;4093004[B
                    ]You're the one who led off with pre-existing conditions. Something which by sheer definition can't be 'insured'[/B]

As for the rest, every type of insurance everywhere contains cost-containment schemes. Even (especially) if provided directly by the government.
                    Seriously, you're arguing something you don't understand.

Of course pre-existing conditions can and should be covered. Every healthcare system I know of covers them.

Now so does the US.

Comment

Seriously, you're arguing something you don't understand.

Of course pre-existing conditions can and should be covered. Every healthcare system I know of covers them.

Now so does the US.
                      Lolz. An insurance company is not a "healthcare system"

To the extent that any of them (historically) 'covered' preexisting conditions they did so by collecting premium commensurate with the whole cost of treatment, plus an additional amount to cover future risk.

In other words, they financed (or excluded) the condition you brought with you and then insured the rest. Which means the only preexisting conditions they 'covered' were on behalf of people already capable of paying cash to treat it in the first place.

The only functional insurance-based system alternative would either have to be monopolistic, or assign known risks to a completely separate (likely subsidized) pool.
                      Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 04-17-2014, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Lolz. An insurance company is not a "healthcare system"

To the extent that any of them (historically) 'covered' preexisting conditions they did so by collecting premium commensurate with the whole cost of treatment, plus an additional amount to cover future risk.

In other words, they financed (or excluded) the condition you brought with you and then insured the rest. Which means the only preexisting conditions they 'covered' were on behalf of people already capable of paying cash to treat it in the first place.
                        Pre-existing conditions no longer are an issue and that includes with the GOP.

It's one part of the ACA that will not be changed, and for good reason.

Comment

Pre-existing conditions no longer are an issue and that includes with the GOP.

It's one part of the ACA that will not be changed, and for good reason.
                          More free lunchism.

Pre-existing conditions aren't an issue until the bill comes due.

State Farm takes it in the shorts from Thomas J Proggie. They then pass it along to their other paying clientele (suckers) until those guys also start to figure out they should just wait to join up when things go south.

And prices go up and up and up. Until mostly only the sick are 'insured" We're only in the very first phases of this thing. Way too early to start declaring what are and aren't issues.

Comment

So millions are having their deductibles raised or not? How many that have signed up have actually tried to use their insurance and did not faint when they found out how much they had to pay before the doctor even looked at them? , good luck finding that out.

Comment

More free lunchism.

Pre-existing conditions aren't an issue until the bill comes due.

State Farm takes it in the shorts from Thomas J Proggie. They then pass it along to their other paying clientele (suckers) until those guys also start to figure out they should just wait to join up when things go south.

And prices go up and up and up. Until mostly only the sick are 'insured" We're only in the very first phases of this thing. Way too early to start declaring what are and aren't issues.
                              I think I'd rather discuss 911 with Gaffney!

Comment

Originally posted by Rigs11 View Post
                                Baja don't forget about the death panels
                                Weren't there death panels before the ACA when every person without insurance or with a pre-existing condition was going to die? Those are the real death panels.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-usmvYOPfco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Working...
                                X