• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Killing me softly"

Environmental Toxins Linked to Rise in Autism
    April 02, 2014 | 113,435 views

By Dr. Mercola

Three decades ago, when I was still in medical school, autism affected one in 10,000 children.1, 2 What changed between then and now to cause one in 50 children3 to become autistic?

Mounting research—not to mention plain logic—indicates that brain disorders are the result of excessive exposure to toxins from multiple sources—including the mother, while in utero. One 2005 study4 by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that blood samples from newborns contained an average of 287 toxins.

Of these, 180 are known to cause cancer in humans or animals; 217 are toxic to your brain and nervous system; and 208 have been found to cause birth defects or abnormal development in animal tests. Clearly, nothing good can come from exposure to so many toxic compounds.

Genital Malformations and Autism—The Result of Overexposure to Toxins

A more recent study, published in the journal PLOS Computational Biology,5, 6, 7, 8 last month, found that every one percent increase in genital malformations in newborn males within a particular county was associated with a 283 percent increased rate in autism.

According to the researchers, genital malformations such as micropenis, undescended testicles, and hypospadias (when the urethra forms on the underside of the penis) are signs of exposure to harmful toxins. And the correlation between genital malformation and autism in turn offer strong support for the notion that autism is the result of parental overexposure to environmental toxins.

In all, 100 million American medical records were analyzed, and rates of genital malformations and autism were assessed by county. Deviations from the nationwide baseline were interpreted as being the result of local environmental factors. According to one of the authors, Andrey Rzhetsky, Ph.D., professor of genetic medicine and human genetics at the University of Chicago:

"Autism appears to be strongly correlated with rate of congenital malformations of the genitals in males across the country. This gives an indicator of environmental load and the effect is surprisingly strong... We interpret the results of this study as a strong environmental signal."

Interestingly, every additional $1,000 in income above the county average was also associated with a three percent increased rate in autism. Could this mean that those with higher incomes buy more household, personal care, and beauty products that turn out to be toxic?

11 Brain-Harming Culprits Identified

Last month, researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai published a report identifying one dozen common chemicals (listed below) known to disrupt brain development and cause brain damage, neurological abnormalities, reduced IQ, and aggressiveness in children.9, 10 The authors call for the implementation of urgent preventive strategies to quell the trend of brain damage, stating:

"We postulate that even more neurotoxicants remain undiscovered. To control the pandemic of developmental neurotoxicity, we propose a global prevention strategy.

Untested chemicals should not be presumed to be safe to brain development, and chemicals in existing use and all new chemicals must therefore be tested for developmental neurotoxicity.

To coordinate these efforts and to accelerate translation of science into prevention, we propose the urgent formation of a new international clearinghouse."

What many don't realize is that there are literally tens of thousands of chemicals in use that have never been tested for safety. When the US National Toxicology Program was enacted in 1978, some 62,000 chemicals that were already in use were simply grandfathered in, even though they'd never been tested for toxicity.

The ramifications of this action is now becoming increasingly evident, and with regular intervals we realize that yet another prevalent chemical is causing harm that no one ever suspected. Bisphenol-A (BPA), used in plastic products, is just one of the most recent examples.

Lead (processed chocolate, gasoline, paint, toys, batteries, pipes, pottery, roofing materials, and cosmetics) Methylmercury (organic mercury found primarily in fish) Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) (fish, especially farmed fish)
    Arsenic(a common contaminant in fluoride added to water supplies. Also found in wood preservatives and pesticides) Toluene (paint thinner, fingernail polish, and leather tanning) Manganese (drinking water and soy infant formula)
    Fluoride (fluoridated tap water, dental products, some antibiotics and medicines, tea, processed foods, and drinks) Chlorpyrifos (an organophosphate insecticide used in pest bait containers) Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT) (a pesticide banned in 1972 that still persists in the environment, including in the food chain)
    Tetrachloroethylene (PERC)11 (dry-cleaning fabrics and metal degreasing operations) Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) (flame-retardant chemicals found in upholstery, mattresses, clothing, television, and computer housings) Ethanol
    Organic Diet Is Part and Parcel of a Less Toxic Life

A recent article in The Atlantic,12 which is well worth reading in its entirety, discusses this Harvard report and offers a number of excellent quotes from the researchers with regards to how we can protect ourselves while regulatory wheels keep turning at a snail's pace. James Hamblin writes:

"'So you recommend that pregnant women eat organic produce?' I asked Grandjean, a Danish-born researcher who travels around the world studying delayed effects of chemical exposure on children. 'That's what I advise people who ask me, yes.

It's the best way of preventing exposure to pesticides.' Grandjean estimates that there are about 45 organophosphate pesticides on the market, and 'most have the potential to damage a developing nervous system.'

Landrigan had issued that same warning, unprompted, when I spoke to him the week before. 'I advise pregnant women to try to eat organic because it reduces their exposure by 80 or 90 percent,' he told me. "These are the chemicals I really worry about in terms of American kids, the organophosphate pesticides like chlorpyrifos."

Fluoride and Glyphosate—Two Toxins That Need to Be Urgently Addressed

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-maternal-age/

This study showed a 50% increase once mother was 40 yrs old. I think women are waiting to long to get pregnant. If you want kids have them all squeezed out by early 30's.

Comment

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
      http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-maternal-age/

This study showed a 50% increase once mother was 40 yrs old. I think women are waiting to long to get pregnant. If you want kids have them all squeezed out by early 30's.
      I remember you making that point in an earlier thread. This study seems to add substance to that take. The longer you wait to get pregnant the more toxins you are exposed too.

Comment

We only live as long as we do because of medicine. Hell before antibotics and modern medicine how many women died before 40 lol. Our bodies probaby designed to reproduce when men and women are 16-25.

But we tell kids to wait to get married, wait to have kids, and more and more of us have them in our 40's. I'm sure toxins play into it as well as my brother got leukemia from being around too much ink at a print shop. Exposure to chemicals is bad news.

I know a buddy who works in the agricultural field and they spend all day in masks with gloves on lol. They ain't doing that because the chemcials they use are so good for us.

Comment

Working...
        X