two party system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two party system

I'm trying to understand more deeply why Americans support the current two party system.

I'd like to understand more.

Why do some people affiliate it as a "team" mentality?
    Is it a lack of choice that helps dictate support?
    Why are third party groups mocked? (Throw vote away)due to galvanized opinions, people listen and compromise less. How can we improve the spirit of cooperation?

Just a little thinking out loud, but genuinely curious as to our low standards.

Not much of a party, if you ask me.

Comment

How do we get anything done with 3-4 parties, all of them with 20-30% power but not enough to legislate?

Comment

Originally posted by alkemical View Post
        I'm trying to understand more deeply why Americans support the current two party system.

Why are third party groups mocked? (Throw vote away)due to galvanized opinions, people listen and compromise less. How can we improve the spirit of cooperation?

The two party system is built on good will and compromise. When one party refuses to do this the system fails. Right now America would be better off with a parliamentary style of government.

Comment

I would rather there be no more parties and just people standing alone with no party to hide behind. Right now, too many people just vote for a political party and not the person. This is how we got stuck with Obama and why Hillary is the main candidate, which I predicted 4 years ago those that voted Obama were already getting their Hillary pompoms out.

Comment

Originally posted by barryr View Post
            I would rather there be no more parties and just people standing alone with no party to hide behind. Right now, too many people just vote for a political party and not the person. This is how we got stuck with Obama and why Hillary is the main candidate, which I predicted 4 years ago those that voted Obama were already getting their Hillary pompoms out.
            They vote for a party because there is such a difference in between the two parties. White racist, assholes in one party and everyone else in the other.

The Republicans have put up Bush Sr, GW Bush, John McCain and Mitt Romney up for President. If people are voting Democrat maybe it is because the Republicans suck picking candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by alkemical View Post

It's a lack of choices. Both parties have a monopoly (or duopoly) and work together to block the third parties. The same people and corporations fund this monopoly regardless of which wing is in charge. Their policies benefit the corporations over the rest of us. The Democrats and Republicans only debate issues that are of no interest to the corporate ruling class. They divide and conquer using class warfare.

Comment

Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
                They vote for a party because there is such a difference in between the two parties. White racist, a-holes in one party and everyone else in the other.
                This voter is easy. Herd him to the left please.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                  This voter is easy. Herd him to the left please.

After all, his claim is completely unfounded. Right?

http://www.thenation.com/article/170...thern-strategy

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                    After all, his claim is completely unfounded. Right?

http://www.thenation.com/article/170...thern-strategy
                    I love how the party that puts Al Sharpton up on a pedestal gets to claim the race card.

And in regards to that article, busing kids to different different schools is bull****. In order to fit more kids into the desired school they have to bus kids out of that into the ****ty one. So some kids get unfairly punished because some school boardmember with way too much power wants some votes to launch their political careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post
                      I love how the party that puts Al Sharpton up on a pedestal gets to claim the race card.

And in regards to that article, busing kids to different different schools is bull****. In order to fit more kids into the desired school they have to bus kids out of that into the ****ty one. So some kids get unfairly punished because some school boardmember with way too much power wants some votes to launch their political careers.
                      The point of the article was Atwater's "Southern strategy" that got Raygun elected. It utilized the codified racism of the South to pull the Dixiecrats into the GOP, where they have been ever since. People wonder why so many poor whites keep voting with the GOP against their own economic interests? There's your answer right there. When Ted Nugent called Obama a "subhuman mongrel" he was dancing to Atwater's tune, although he's too stupid to know that. After all, where did Raygun launch his campaign? Philadelphia, Mississippi. You know what happened there in 1964? Strong message.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                        The point of the article was Atwater's "Southern strategy" that got Raygun elected. It utilized the codified racism of the South to pull the Dixiecrats into the GOP, where they have been ever since. People wonder why so many poor whites keep voting with the GOP against their own economic interests? There's your answer right there. When Ted Nugent called Obama a "subhuman mongrel" he was dancing to Atwater's tune, although he's too stupid to know that. After all, where did Raygun launch his campaign? Philadelphia, Mississippi. You know what happened there in 1964? Strong message.
                        No, according to Beavis, the migration from Democrat to Republican had to do with gun rights.

Comment

Originally posted by houghtam View Post
                          No, according to Beavis, the migration from Democrat to Republican had to do with gun rights.

Is it sad how many conservative posters here fall into the category of "****, are we sure they aren't some sort of Poe?"

Comment

Southern Democrats vs Republicans in Congress in 1992.

77-48

Southern Democrats vs Republicans in Congress in 1994

61-64

Hough: "Reagan Did It! Herpderp!"

Comment

Reagan Did It!

Herpaderpaderp.

Comment

Working...
                              X