Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor accused of racism for correcting grammar, capitalization

http://www.examiner.com/article/prof...capitalization

According to the letter, one student capitalized the first letter of the word "Indigenous" in her research paper. The word was changed to a lower case "i" throughout the paper, helping to prompt accusations of racism.

Rust, who is currently guest-lecturing in China, sent an email addressing the issue.

“First, I have a practice of being rather thorough in the papers (dissertation proposals) the students were submitting to me and they said the grammar and spelling corrections I was making on their papers represented a form of ‘microaggression,’" he said. "I have attempted to be rather thorough on the papers and am particularly concerned that they do a good job with their bibliographies and citations, and these students apparently don't feel that is appropriate.”

“Second," he added, "two weeks ago a Student of Color and a white female student got into a big discussion. She wants to use Standpoint Theory [a method of analysis coined by feminist sociologist Dorothy Smith, based on the idea that all knowledge is subjective and based on one's position in society] in her dissertation, and the Student of Color told her she had no business claiming that she was a member of an oppressed group. She came back saying there are all kinds of oppression. I likely did not handle the situation well, because I chose not to stop the discussion between them, so it went on for quite a while, and the Students of Color apparently interpreted my silence to mean I wasn't supporting them.”
Working...
X