X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedaykin
    replied
    Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
    Religion, how that makes people feel loved, probably creates those same reactions. Maybe that will help you better understand. Religion for Christians is about faith, not proof.
    The community, inclusion, and other social aspects of religion are not in doubt. Nor are they somehow unique to religion.

No one can prove to you there is a God, and you can't use science to make people feel he isn't real.
    Sure you can. Lots of people who are shown that the underpinnings of their beliefs are, at best, flimsy have decided God isn't real.

Arguing that our culture can't make some law based on our religious beliefs is ridiculous. Lot's of the teachings are no brainers that with or without God everyone can benefit from.
    Actually, it's one of the founding principals of our society that laws cannot be made based on religious beliefs. It's right there in the Consitution. Now, that doesn't prevent overlap, but laws in this country must have a primarily secular purpose and reasoning. Take a couple commandments as an example. Big difference between trying to make a law about only worshipping Yahweh vs. making a law against killing.

Now should Christians be able to rule over people and force them to live by the bible? Of course not we have freedom of religion, and from religion.
    This forced religion and/or behavior is exactly what many want, and what is opposed. Ironically, quite often by the "no big government" types.

I agree with you 100% that Sunday should be treated as any other day for legal purposes. Eventually old ways like that will be left at the curb along with many other customs we outgrow.
    A yes, a classic cutlet wacky tangent.

I think we are better off with relgious people making up a large portion of our society, then we would be without them.
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• cutthemdown
    replied
    Originally posted by houghtam View Post
    A true scientist will tell you that love only exists in the chemical reactions it creates.
    Religion, how that makes people feel loved, probably creates those same reactions. Maybe that will help you better understand. Religion for Christians is about faith, not proof.

No one can prove to you there is a God, and you can't use science to make people feel he isn't real. Arguing that our culture can't make some law based on our religious beliefs is ridiculous. Lot's of the teachings are no brainers that with or without God everyone can benefit from.

Now should Christians be able to rule over people and force them to live by the bible? Of course not we have freedom of religion, and from religion.

I agree with you 100% that Sunday should be treated as any other day for legal purposes. Eventually old ways like that will be left at the curb along with many other customs we outgrow.

I think we are better off with relgious people making up a large portion of our society, then we would be without them.

Leave a comment:

• houghtam
    replied
    Can you prove love exists with science? Or is that just something we believe because we can feel it?
    A true scientist will tell you that love only exists in the chemical reactions it creates.

Leave a comment:

• cutthemdown
    replied
    Can you prove love exists with science? Or is that just something we believe because we can feel it?

Leave a comment:

• alkemical
    replied
    Our method is science, our aim is religion.

93/93

Leave a comment:

• cutthemdown
    replied
    I agree. The mythical nature of the bible neither proves or disproves Gods existence.

Leave a comment:

• Fedaykin
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
    This is funny.

Science can't tell you within many thousands of years when dogs were domesticated. But these kids suddenly want to pretend like they can draw lines in centuries as opposed to millenia.
    ............................................______ __
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?........................... ...........................,
    .................../.................................................. .........,}
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
    .............../.................................................. .,:"........./
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....} ............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|............ ..`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_......... .._,-%.......`

Leave a comment:

• Fedaykin
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBrit View Post
    Now what makes those two Phd's 'idiots'??
    Because they said something PB doesn't like and/or agree with. Duh!

Leave a comment:

• DenverBrit
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
    This is funny.

Science can't tell you within many thousands of years when dogs were domesticated. But these kids suddenly want to pretend like they can draw lines in centuries as opposed to millenia.
    Why not?? It's within their field of expertise.

Leave a comment:

• Fedaykin
    replied
    Is carbon dating that exact on dates? I thought it was give or take 500-1000 yrs lol? Them not knowing exactly how much carbon was in the atmosphere, at the exact time those camels died, I believe also skews the test.

I'm no expert but is this study just cut and dry, beyond a reasonable doubt? I doubt it.

Radiocarbon dating is very well calibrated against known data points (such as lake bed layers, ice layers, and more interesting things like the victims of Vesuvius in Pompeii).

Though, radiocarbon dating is only good for about ~50,000 years, after which other forms of radiometric dating (Pa-Ar, Ar-Ar, etc.) are needed.

But this is a rather pointless topic to get to involved in. There is no doubt that the biblical timeline and major events are B.S. I mean come on, how dumb does a person have to be to believe all the worlds animals & plants were collected and cared for by one family for nearly a year on a 300ft wooden boat?

Nitpicking about camels is not necessary to show the mythical nature of the Bible.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBrit
    replied
    Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
    It's not the carbon dating that skews the report, it's the claim that he can look at camel bones from a copper smelting pit from around 2000-1500 BCE and tell if the camel carried a load or not........ nothing like pure science to prove your point.

The only time I go to Church is for marrying and burying so I don't have a dog is the race to disprove the Bible but if you are going to use science make sure it's not just some idiots from Tel Aviv University.
    Now what makes those two Phd's 'idiots'??

Leave a comment:

• Rohirrim
    replied
    Abraham was a Sumerian who worshipped the sun god, Bel Marduk.

Leave a comment:

• Rigs11
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Arkie
    replied
    They may be off thousands of years on a timescale of millions of years, but they should be able to easily pinpoint centuries within the last four thousand years.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoBeavis
    replied
    This is funny.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X