Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limp Boehner

Schumer: Start immigration reform in 2017

Sen. Chuck Schumer suggested that Congress should pass an immigration overhaul now that won’t take effect until 2017.

“Let’s enact the law this year, but simply not let it actually start ‘til 2017, after President Obama’s term is over,” Schumer said on NBC’s Meet the Press. “I think the rap against him that he actually won’t enforce the law is false—he’s deported more people than any other president. But you could actually have the law start in 2017 without doing much violence to it.”

The New York Democrat’s comments come in the wake of an attempt by House GOP Speaker John Boehner to throw cold water on the immigration debate, declaring last week that reform would be unlikely this year given the lack of trust in President Obama to enforce the laws. (Contra Schumer, President Bush deported a larger cumulative number of immigrants during his presidency, but Obama is deporting them at a faster rate.)

Schumer’s eyebrow-raising remarks aren’t likely to become the new Democratic rallying cry. But it’s an overt attempt to call Boehner’s bluff and continues Democrats’ broader defensive strategy to box Republicans in on the issue. In recent weeks, Democrats have said they’re willing to consider a piecemeal approach to reform and to negotiate over a pathway to citizenship—both concessions to Republican demands that the party had long said they’d be unwilling to make.

The House GOP’s whiplash on immigration reform has left it uncertain whether Congress will make much, if any, progress on the issue this year. Boehner’s shift took immigration advocates aback, particularly as they came just days after the House GOP released a broad framework for reform.

While Democrats like Schumer are trying to make Republicans offers they can’t refuse, outside conservative groups are warning the GOP not to be fooled. “Schumer’s delayed implementation of #amnesty sounds a lot like the delayed implementation of #obamacare,” tweeted Heritage Action spokesman Dan Holler.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/schumer-s...on-reform-2017

Schumer is also limp.

:-)

Comment

What exactly do we need immigration reform on? why do we need to open the books on immigration?

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
        What exactly do we need immigration reform on? why do we need to open the books on immigration?
        Do you believe our current system works? If not, then the reasons one comes up with for why it doesn't work generally show whether you are conservative or liberal on the issue. Most on both sides of the issue don't believe the current system works, they just can't agree on how to fix it. That is why compromise and comprehensive reform is necessary.

If you do believe the current system works, well...I guess then I could see why you don't believe there is a need for reform, but...yeeeeaah...

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
          the process to become a citizen takes years. people hop the fence instead. Repubs complain. you get the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by houghtam View Post
            Do you believe our current system works? If not, then the reasons one comes up with for why it doesn't work generally show whether you are conservative or liberal on the issue. Most on both sides of the issue don't believe the current system works, they just can't agree on how to fix it. That is why compromise and comprehensive reform is necessary.

If you do believe the current system works, well...I guess then I could see why you don't believe there is a need for reform, but...yeeeeaah...
            GB realizes it's a lose/lose situation for conservatives in office. Push there version of immigration reform and further alienate Hispanics or pass the bipartisan senate version of reform and alienate their base. So the only option repugs see is to do nothing at all.
            Last edited by peacepipe; 02-10-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peacepipe View Post
              GB realizes it's a lose/lose situation for conservatives in office. Push there version of immigration reform and further alienate Hispanics or pass the bipartisan senate version of reform and alienate their base. So the only option repugs see is to do nothing at all.
              only problem though is if they don't do anything, they will still alienate Hispanics and independents. they just don't get it.

Comment

What part of close the f ***ing border first do you liberal turds not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                  What part of close the f ***ing border first do you liberal turds not understand.
                  And what part of " that's not feasible" do you conservative knuckledraggers not understand?

Comment

And what part of " that's not feasible" do you conservative knuckledraggers not understand?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Hard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2351106

Comment

List for me all the instances in human history where "closing the border" actually kept people from illegally entering a country.

Then let us know how you plan on "closing" a 2,000 mile border at a cost of at least $3 million per mile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%...States_barrier

...carry the one...

Comment

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_GkbYFEpkJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by Rigs11 View Post
                          only problem though is if they don't do anything, they will still alienate Hispanics and independents. they just don't get it.
                          If I were Obama and the dems,I would be pushing for immigration reform at every turn. Force the repugs hands on the issue. Don't give them the option of doing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by peacepipe View Post
                            If I were Obama and the dems,I would be pushing for immigration reform at every turn. Force the repugs hands on the issue. Don't give them the option of doing nothing.
                            The problem is that most republicans want some sort of reform. It's the nom-compromising Teabillies and their "my way or no way" attitude that are holding things up. If not for them this would have been done in the first term.

Instead the Republicans are allowing themselves to get bullied by a paltry few, and their party and the country are weaker because of it.

Just like healthcare, the Teabillies would rather keep the status quo as awful as it is than compromise with anyone, including their own party.

Comment

:
                              The problem is that most republicans want some sort of reform. It's the nom-compromising Teabillies and their "my way or no way" attitude that are holding things up. If not for them this would have been done in the first term.

Instead the Republicans are allowing themselves to get bullied by a paltry few, and their party and the country are weaker because of it.

Just like healthcare, the Teabillies would rather keep the status quo as awful as it is than compromise with anyone, including their own party.
                              That's the rethugs problem. They can either dig a deeper hole and give in to the extreme or break free from it. It's the bed they made,they can sleep in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X