Apparently, being liberal is thirsty work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by houghtam View Post
    That's an interesting take. I had forgotten about those little wrinkles, even after living in Georgia, Louisiana and Alabama for several years.

Side note though, I spoke with a pair of good friends of mine who ran a liquor store when I was living there, and they said they prefer not to sell alcohol on Sundays. They just close down the store and it's a guaranteed day off every week.

I'm sure that's not the consensus though, and I've always wondered why conservatives, who are supposed to be for freedom of choice and business opportunity, support laws which stifle both those for basically no reason whatsoever.

What is it about Sunday over any other day of the week, anyway? Why that day?
    CO was a no alcohol sales on Sunday state up until 2010 I believe (maybe 2009). Its an old law imposed by Christians that exempted Sunday from liquor sales. In CO the liquor stores actually advocated for a long time to keep Sunday as a day of no-sales so that all the mom and pop shops could have a day of rest. The bigger liquor stores pushed to sell on Sunday and the passage of a few chain grocery stores being allowed to sell booze in CO ended up forcing the issue and Sunday is now a day for booze sales as well.

Comment

Those damn Christians!

Comment

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
        Those damn Christians when they inject their religion into policy!
        FYP

Comment

Those damn Christians!
          Not Christians but 17th century minded bible thumpers, who know what's best for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBrit View Post
            Not Christians but 17th century minded bible thumpers, who know what's best for everyone.
            Obama thumped the bible pretty hard at the National Prayer Breakfast this morning.

Remarks by the President at National Prayer Breakfast

"So each time we gather, it’s a chance to set aside the rush of our daily lives; to pause with humility before an Almighty God; to seek His grace; and, mindful of our own imperfections, to remember the admonition from the Book of Romans, which is especially fitting for those of us in Washington: “Do not claim to be wiser than you are.”

So here we put aside labels of party and ideology, and recall what we are first: all children of a loving God; brothers and sisters called to make His work our own. But in this work, as Lincoln said, our concern should not be whether God is on our side, but whether we are on God’s side".

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...ayer-breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
              Obama thumped the bible pretty hard at the National Prayer Breakfast this morning.
              It's called "pandering".

Comment

It's silly to try and say who parties more lol. All Americans, from almost all walks of life, like to partake in alcohol and drugs.

It's mostly conservatives might be a bit more discreet or secretive with it. Everyone loves a head change....Smoke em up!

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post

Remarks by the President at National Prayer Breakfast

"So each time we gather, it’s a chance to set aside the rush of our daily lives; to pause with humility before an Almighty Allah; to seek His grace; and, mindful of our own imperfections, to remember the admonition from the Book of Romans, which is especially fitting for those of us in Washington: “Do not claim to be wiser than you are.”

So here we put aside labels of party and ideology, and recall what we are first: all children of a loving Allah; brothers and sisters called to make His work our own. But in this work, as Lincoln said, our concern should not be whether Allah is on our side, but whether we are on Allah's side".

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...ayer-breakfast
                  Fixed!

Comment

Fixed!
                    And you call Gaff a conspiracy theorist.

Comment

Originally posted by houghtam View Post
                      , you're awesome Cuthemdown!
                      fixed.

Comment

I enjoy being wrong and hate music
                        Fixed

Comment

I wouldn't say i enjoy it, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Comment

Working...
                          X