it's time to legalize ALL drugs -- not just marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
    I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying it would take work, politics, fighting between countries to do it. IMO our govt doesn't see making weed legal internationally important enough to bother with it. One day i could be wrong but until then I don't see the feds moving on it past the point they already have.
    Well that much is obvious, at this point anyway. When we have a majority of states where it is legal or decriminalized here in about 5 years, which is likely, and when the polls show overwhelming support for decriminalization at minimum, which is also likely given the trajectory of the polls over the past few years, they won't have much of a choice. It will become more or less accepted, and then eventually government will act. They'll be 5-10 years behind the movement, like always, but it will happen.

Treaties or no, 5-10 years and marijuana will be legal nationwide, or decriminalized/taken off Schedule I.

Additionally, the article you linked talks about people condemning the decriminalization in Europe, but nothing about consequences. Are you aware of any country receiving economic sanctions, trade embargoes EU/UN censure, or any other punishment for decriminalizing or legalizing marijuana?

Comment

I think decriminalization is the way to go Houghtam. Make being a small time dealer a bit of trouble but nothing that ruins life first, or even maybe 2nd, third time if it's non violent etc etc. You know the guy who deal coke but only making a living, not being scarface.

Make being scareface still very serious crime.

But make buying drugs, using drugs, non criminal. Prisons are not filled with drug kingpins, we all know that. They are filled with low level dealers and users.

And no i am not aware or knowledgable about any sanctions on a country for allowing drugs. I think Boliva just made a lot decriminalized. I think the big issue on that would be has any country very big made manufacture and sales legal in any way.

I think they can decriminalize fairly easy to a certain level. It keeps in tact things like not letting your country be a shipping point for cocaine or even weed.

I don't think decriminalzing something like smuggling, production, selling lare quantities is doable though. Only personel use and small time dealers IMO.

Comment

I think decriminalization is the way to go Houghtam. Make being a small time dealer a bit of trouble but nothing that ruins life first, or even maybe 2nd, third time if it's non violent etc etc. You know the guy who deal coke but only making a living, not being scarface.

But make buying drugs, using drugs, non criminal. Prisons are not filled with drug kingpins, we all know that. They are filled with low level dealers and users.

And no i am not aware or knowledgable about any sanctions on a country for allowing drugs. I think Boliva just made a lot decriminalized. I think the big issue on that would be has any country very big made manufacture and sales legal in any way.

I think they can decriminalize fairly easy to a certain level. It keeps in tact things like not letting your country be a shipping point for cocaine or even weed.

I don't think decriminalzing something like smuggling, production, selling lare quantities is doable though. Only personel use and small time dealers IMO.
        The reality though is that the moment the feds decriminalize it, just about every blue state will just make it outright legal. We already have two states that have done it (and more on the way) while it is still illegal federally. If it's decriminalized federally, it will be entirely legal in a majority of states, IMO.

Consider also that, unless the Republicans get their heads out of their asses, we're looking at a Democrat in the White House for the foreseeable future. That means we will have an executive who will at least be reluctant to enforce the law as it stands, like Obama is doing now, and at most be willing to listen to and consider taking it off Schedule I and/or legalization.

It's only a matter of time. I don't see this issue doing anything but gaining momentum until the tide is too strong to hold back, or until it becomes so de facto accepted in the culture that it becomes officially legal.

Comment

I personally don't think that getting high is a noble goal in life, but neither are a lot of things, like being over weight, or getting hammered drunk, or tobacoo smoking yourself into a coffin. However, of those four, three can kill you, and the one that cannot can land you in jail. One of those can not only kill you from chronic use, but also acute use, and potentially turn you into a danger to others, and it's available at the grocery store in full display, and widely celebrated throughout society, "please drink responsibly."

However you are free to purchase, transport home, store in reach of children, and consume in front of children, with no one seems to think that's dangerous. However, if that were pot you purchased, and brought into your home, your children could be put in protective custody, even if you stored it in a safe, and completely hid your use. People can not only get arrested, kids can lose access to college loans for an arrest, people can have their property seized (KS sherrif recently remarked how he was happy to see the spike in traffic out of Colorado because they needed to upgrade their radio systems with the seized vehicle sales), their kids taken into protective custody, their homes invaded by paramilitary SWAT police, their whole lives turned upside down just for possessing it.

For me, it's an overreach. Over 600,000 arrests will be tallied nationwide. For what? It's never going away, it's a hardy plant that grows on six continents, can be grown inside, and outside, in the ground, or in containers, under the sun, or under a lamp, left alone, or taken care of. It's basically an open ended doctrine to subject a certain class of people to arrest and prosecution if they're caught with it. Which may be one thing if it were highly dangerous and toxic, but it is not toxic, it does not harm the flesh of an organism, and is mildly psychologically habit forming. Alcohol and tobacoo deaths each year claim the same number of lives as all the US combat deaths of WWII, but it's totally legit to purchase, transport, and use. The whole prohibition of MJ thing is expensive in both hard costs and soft costs, causes more societal harms than it mitigates and therefore is ****ing stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
            You will get no argument from PSH
            Would there be a difference if he killed himself with legal drugs instead?

Comment

I'd just like to amend this post by saying cut has now moved to a much more liberal stance of total legalization because he thinks pot prices are too high. Turns out the decriminalization bit was just a bunch of hooey.

Comment

Working...
              X