Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some college athletes read at the 5th grade level

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some college athletes read at the 5th grade level

    http://us.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa...rebar_facebook


    "Early in her career as a learning specialist, Mary Willingham was in her office when a basketball player at the University of North Carolina walked in looking for help with his classwork.

    He couldn't read or write.

    "And I kind of panicked. What do you do with that?" she said, recalling the meeting.

    Willingham's job was to help athletes who weren't quite ready academically for the work required at UNC at Chapel Hill, one of the country's top public universities.

    But she was shocked that one couldn't read. And then she found he was not an anomaly.

    Soon, she'd meet a student-athlete who couldn't read multisyllabic words. She had to teach him to sound out Wis-con-sin, as kids do in elementary school.

    And then another came with this request: "If I could teach him to read well enough so he could read about himself in the news, because that was something really important to him," Willingham said."

  • #2
    Originally posted by txtebow View Post
    http://us.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa...rebar_facebook


    "Early in her career as a learning specialist, Mary Willingham was in her office when a basketball player at the University of North Carolina walked in looking for help with his classwork.

    He couldn't read or write.

    "And I kind of panicked. What do you do with that?" she said, recalling the meeting.

    Willingham's job was to help athletes who weren't quite ready academically for the work required at UNC at Chapel Hill, one of the country's top public universities.

    But she was shocked that one couldn't read. And then she found he was not an anomaly.

    Soon, she'd meet a student-athlete who couldn't read multisyllabic words. She had to teach him to sound out Wis-con-sin, as kids do in elementary school.

    And then another came with this request: "If I could teach him to read well enough so he could read about himself in the news, because that was something really important to him," Willingham said."
    Sounds a little far fetched to me. How the hell would a player even understand basic football terminology unless they could sound out and understand multisyllabic words, such as tackle, player, receiver, option, penalty, blocking, catching, running, fumble, etc.

    Comment


    • #3
      Zona, they wouldn't have to read those words, just understand them in speech.

      Comment


      • #4
        We all know it's all about the money for the universities and TV networks. It would interesting if we could go back to the old days when a student enrolled in college on his own merits and when he arrived on campus could choose to tryout for the football team.

        I know what the liberals will say …… that’s racist.

        Comment


        • #5
          student athletes are often abused by their "alma maters".

          They should be paid like any other employees.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
            We all know it's all about the money for the universities and TV networks. It would interesting if we could go back to the old days when a student enrolled in college on his own merits and when he arrived on campus could choose to tryout for the football team.

            I know what the liberals will say …… that’s racist.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by orinjkrush View Post
              student athletes are often abused by their "alma maters".

              They should be paid like any other employees.
              I agree.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                We all know it's all about the money for the universities and TV networks. It would interesting if we could go back to the old days when a student enrolled in college on his own merits and when he arrived on campus could choose to tryout for the football team.

                I know what the liberals will say …… that’s racist.
                So, you're here trying to sell that the big business of NCAA athletics is the masterwork of "liberals"? Ah, yes, you fear consumed "conservatives" always wanting to go back to the "old days". Back when African American kids weren't even eligible to apply to most universities. Them were tha dayz!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                  So, you're here trying to sell that the big business of NCAA athletics is the masterwork of "liberals"? Ah, yes, you fear consumed "conservatives" always wanting to go back to the "old days". Back when African American kids weren't even eligible to apply to most universities. Them were tha dayz!!!
                  Didn’t say that in my post but feel free to make crap up as you want.

                  Let's look at this example, one of the admission requirements to enter the University of Texas is to be in the top 10% of you high school graduation class. Now if all students were held to that standard what would the UT football team look like? When will it ever be ok to eliminate affirmative action from University admissions and especially when top programs use it only as a tool to recruit football players?

                  Are you familiar with this case?
                  Fisher v. University of Texas
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_...rsity_of_Texas

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                    So, you're here trying to sell that the big business of NCAA athletics is the masterwork of "liberals"? Ah, yes, you fear consumed "conservatives" always wanting to go back to the "old days". Back when African American kids weren't even eligible to apply to most universities. Them were tha dayz!!!
                    You do mean "good ole days" of when Southern Democrats holding back entry for blacks at colleges?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                      So, you're here trying to sell that the big business of NCAA athletics is the masterwork of "liberals"? Ah, yes, you fear consumed "conservatives" always wanting to go back to the "old days". Back when African American kids weren't even eligible to apply to most universities. Them were tha dayz!!!

                      I'd argue that if not for these Universities obviously lowering the academic standards for student athletes relative to the general student body ; and for affirmative action, many blacks who attend college today wouldn't be eligible based on merit alone, not some racist policy based on SKIN COLOR.

                      Further, why are blacks (~14% of our population) over represented when it comes to athletic scholarships? Where's the investigation on that TONYR?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        college athletics have become an oxymoron. with the emphasis on moron.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's a simple fix. Any college or university caught covering up stupidity just to keep a player on the field loses any federal education money and students looking for aid would have to pick a different school.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                            You do mean "good ole days" of when Southern Democrats holding back entry for blacks at colleges?
                            Or when they didn't vote for the Civil Rights Act either, as did Al Gore's plantation daddy? But see, they weren't "real democrats" as they try to excuse away.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by barryr View Post
                              Or when they didn't vote for the Civil Rights Act either, as did Al Gore's plantation daddy? But see, they weren't "real democrats" as they try to excuse away.
                              So if "libruls" and "democrats" are two different things, why do you constantly conflate the two?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X