America’s anachronistic electoral college gives Republicans an edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HAT View Post
    There is no way Trump loses the popular vote if Biden remains the nominee.
    How do you figure? Trump has never broken 45%. He’s not winning the popular vote. The only question is which way the EC will swing.

Comment

This is 2020, not 2016.

And I'm not even talking about Biden's mental acuity. Whatever it may be. It also doesn't matter what his stance is on police defunding is.

This vote is going to be against radicalism.

Millions of people who have never cast a "Republican" vote in their lives will be voting Trump. Record numbers of Latinos also.
      Ok Boomer

Comment

Originally posted by Mile High Salute View Post

Ok Boomer
        Gen X.

And I'm purely looking at this from a handicapping perspective. Not who I'm voting for, not who I want to win...

Comment

Originally posted by W*GS View Post

Biden is no radical.
          I understand that. But it won't matter. Guilt by association.

Comment

Originally posted by Mile High Salute View Post

How do you figure? Trump has never broken 45%. He’s not winning the popular vote. The only question is which way the EC will swing.
            You know who hangs up on pollsters? Or outright answers opposite? People who want to be left alone to live their lives. People who throw their census away. People who think it's nobody's GD business who they're voting for. In other words, not democrats.

Comment

Oh look - the mob wants a mob vote. Let's put individual rights at the whim of the mob, shall we?

Comment

Originally posted by W*GS View Post

Biden is no radical.
                If a Republican made the remarks about race he's made you'd say he was a hard right Hitler lover.

Comment

Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
                  Oh look - the mob wants a mob vote. Let's put individual rights at the whim of the mob, shall we?
                  Two wolves and a lamb... Majority rules!

Comment

Originally posted by uplink View Post
                    It preserves the influence of small states. Otherwise we would all be governed by what people think in California and a few other populous states. The country was formed on agreements of states to form a union of states. Its better this way so we have more rights against a larger all consuming single government. It would be hard for China's system to exist if their central government was formed by a union of 'states'. Not all the states would agree to completely control citizens rights and access to information the way its happening in China.
                    As it is we’re all governed by country hicks, and the hucksters they foolishly vote for because they don’t know any better.

Comment

Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
                      Minority rule isn’t inherently better than majority rule, dimwit. Also when did Republicans become so anti-democracy? For many decades democracy was supposedly an American ideal. Now it’s just mob rule?

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

Minority rule isn’t inherently better than majority rule, dimwit. Also when did Republicans become so anti-democracy? For many decades democracy was supposedly an American ideal. Now it’s just mob rule?
                        Conservatives are against "mob rule" as long as the system favors them. If the EC favored liberals they'd suddenly be pro-democracy..

Comment

Trump is exactly the type of president the Founders were trying to prevent when they set up the Electoral College.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post

Hillary was a bigger favorite than Biden. I haven’t heard as many people predicting a landslide victory like they were for Hillary. Also, I haven’t seen Biden go over 60% in the prediction markets. Hillary stayed over 90% during the summer of 2016 and reached 99%.
                            HRC was a far better candidate than Biden IMO, but Biden is currently polling better than HRC was. And I'm fairly certain that Biden will do better in the election than HRC did, for various reasons I'd be happy to explain/discuss, although whether or not it will be enough to win the EC I'm not certain.

Comment

Two wolves and a lamb... Majority rules!
                              False analogy. You're conveniently forgetting there's more than just "majority rule" in a democracy.

Here's a better one:

Majority rule only: the wolves eat the lamb.

Democracy (majority rule + minority rights): the lamb gets a steel cage. The wolves can growl and bark but they don't get to eat the lamb.

Democracy + EC: the lamb gets a steel cage and a flamethrower. The wolves are ****ed.
                              Last edited by Fear the Hawk; 06-16-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X