Donald Trump Doesn’t Want Authority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Trump Doesn’t Want Authority

This is a devastating takedown of Trump by Ross Douthat, and suggests something about him that I hadn't really thought of until this. I'll post some choice snippets below. Well worth a full read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/19/o...ump-orban.html
    Last edited by TonyR; 05-19-2020, 03:59 PM.

I change my mind, too much of it is worth quoting to choose. I'll just leave you with the conclusion:

In the fourth year of this presidency the black comedy has finally given way to tragedy. But not because Trump suddenly discovered how to use his authority for dictatorial or democracy-defying purpose. Rather, because in this dark spring America needed a president capable of exercising power and found that it had only a television star, a shirker and a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
      I change my mind, too much of it is worth quoting to choose. I'll just leave you with the conclusion:

In the fourth year of this presidency the black comedy has finally given way to tragedy. But not because Trump suddenly discovered how to use his authority for dictatorial or democracy-defying purpose. Rather, because in this dark spring America needed a president capable of exercising power and found that it had only a television star, a shirker and a clown.
      What should worry us now is what some other people might see as profitable uses for Trump. All you have to do is flatter him. How easy would it be to convince him that if he can seize total power (through their assistance), he won't go to prison later?

Comment

But once you leave the sphere of petty corruption for the sphere of policymaking, Trump clearly lacks both the facility and the interest level required to find opportunity in crisis. In this case, confronted with the same basic facts as Orban, he showed no sense of the pandemic as anything save an inconvenience to be ignored, a problem to be wished away, an impediment to his lifestyle of golf and tweets and occasional stream-of-consciousness stemwinders. And when reality made ignoring it impossible, his only genuinely political impulse — the only impulse that related to real power and its uses — was to push the crucial forms of responsibility down a level, to the nation’s governors, and wash his presidential hands.

Comment

Yep.

First POTUS in history that when faced with a national crisis, shat himself and cowered in the corner.

45 is a spineless coward.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
            But once you leave the sphere of petty corruption for the sphere of policymaking, Trump clearly lacks both the facility and the interest level required to find opportunity in crisis. In this case, confronted with the same basic facts as Orban, he showed no sense of the pandemic as anything save an inconvenience to be ignored, a problem to be wished away, an impediment to his lifestyle of golf and tweets and occasional stream-of-consciousness stemwinders. And when reality made ignoring it impossible, his only genuinely political impulse — the only impulse that related to real power and its uses — was to push the crucial forms of responsibility down a level, to the nation’s governors, and wash his presidential hands.
            Which is why Trump spent the first month praising China. He was hoping they would take care of it so he wouldn't have to do anything about it.

Comment

Working...
            X