X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 69bronco View Post

I don’t think we’ve even passed the flu yet
    We aren't yet...

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

We will probably get there in the next couple months, especially if NY keeps exploding like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBronco16 View Post

We aren't yet...

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

We will probably get there in the next couple months, especially if NY keeps exploding like it is.
      We're going to blow past the death count in a little over a week, well before the projected peak.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp the implications of exponential growth? 30% growth a day is brutal and there are no signs of it slowing down.

Comment

Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post

First it was the flu, now we are moving the goal posts to heart disease?

What is the next goalpost when it kills more than that?
        It seems incredible to note that, despite the incontrovertible evidence that he is an evil, inept charlatan who has endangered the lives of everyone in the nation, Trump still has ardent defenders. In searching for an explanation for such lunacy, a fascinating book: "When Prophecy Fails" by Leon Festinger (99 cents on Kindle) was recommended to me. It recounts movements suchas the "Millerites" who in the 1840's came to believe they knew the date of Christ's imminent return. One would assume that after that date had come and gone with no Jesus sightings these people would have recognized they'd been had. To the contrary! Explanations were concocted and the movement actually gained followers!

It is somewhat reassuring that in most such movements a tipping point is reached and the believers fall away. However, these groups do not die easily. In one instance of a "Jesus is coming soon" hoax the followers didn't give up until their leader converted to Islam.

Hopefully the Covid epidemic will prove to be the tipping point for Trump's cult.

Comment

505 of which were in NY. Like every single day. Half of COVID-19 shlt is happening in NY. Close that place up and don't let anyone in or out. Until then, I'll continue to see NY plates here in the south.
          Man, are you ever in for a rude awakening...

As The Atlantic makes clear, COVID-19 may have so far caused the greatest damage in the Northeast, but it’s unlikely to stay that way. Already, about a tenth of all deaths have come from the Gulf Coast states, and those states are still racing up the ramp of infection, even as states that have been under strict social distancing for days or weeks are beginning to bend the curve on local cases. The South, both cities and rural areas, looks set to be the next epicenter of the outbreak in America. But in the South, there’s a whole new face on the death and destruction—a younger face.

“The numbers emerging seem to indicate that more young people in the South are dying from COVID-19. Although the majority of coronavirus-related deaths in Louisiana are still among victims over 70 years old, 43 percent of all reported deaths have been people under 70. In Georgia, people under 70 make up 49 percent of reported deaths. By comparison, people under 70 account for only 20 percent of deaths in Colorado.”
          If “under 70” doesn’t sound that young, what the numbers show is that Southerners from 40 to 60 are more than twice as likely to die, so far, than people of the same age in other parts of the nation. The prevalence of younger people in the death count isn’t just unique in the United States—it’s unique in the world.

Working against existing health studies of the region, the Atlantic article relies on a Kaiser Family Foundation study for a sense of why the U.S. Southern states are such an outlier. The answer appears to be underlying conditions, such as diabetes and heart issues, that put more people at risk. That issue is likely also connected to the Walmart-created food deserts where local produce is less available than drive-thru burgers and home-delivered pizza. The Kaiser study includes its own set of maps that have an eerie overlap with those of the Times article—in other words, the areas where people are most vulnerable are the same areas where people are, by choice and by force, engaged in the worst practices.

The combination is setting the South up for a disaster beyond imagining, and it’s one that won’t be neatly limited to those who partied on the beach or those who nod along when Rush Limbaugh calls COVID-19 “ordinary flu.” It’s going to be a multistate, cross-generational slaughter that affects the region for decades to come.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post

Man, are you ever in for a rude awakening...
            Wrong again. I know it's going to blow up down here. I've been planning on it for about a month now. However, it has nothing to do with what I was responding to and my response about NY is dead on. Slow your role and settle down. What I said about NY, true btw, has nothing to do with whether or not it's going to explode in the south. Hell right now, all the states surrounding my state are now in a shelter in place. I wish the border would close and I would stop seeing car tags from Florida to NY.

Comment

Seems that too many of the Red Staters are operating under the misconception that this is just another "political" issue drummed up by the propagandists at Fox and the Trump WH to test their loyalty. Nope. It's just a virus. It doesn't care what you think or who you are or what "side" you're on. Couldn't care less.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                Seems that too many of the Red Staters are operating under the misconception that this is just another "political" issue drummed up by the propagandists at Fox and the Trump WH to test their loyalty. Nope. It's just a virus. It doesn't care what you think or who you are or what "side" you're on. Couldn't care less.
                Had a southerner tell my coworker that he wasn't concerned about the Wuhan because there were only a handful of cases in the county he lived in and that this was just a "big city problem"

Comment

Wrong again. I know it's going to blow up down here. I've been planning on it for about a month now. However, it has nothing to do with what I was responding to and my response about NY is dead on. Slow your role and settle down. What I said about NY, true btw, has nothing to do with whether or not it's going to explode in the south. Hell right now, all the states surrounding my state are now in a shelter in place. I wish the border would close and I would stop seeing car tags from Florida to NY.
                  It's already blown up in Louisiana. New Orleans is having a hell of a time. AL doesn't have a shelter in place order yet, but most non-essential businesses are closed and most church services have been stopped (makes a huuuuge difference).

Comment

In one breath, you say the situation in NY "has nothing to do with whether or not it's going to explode in the South," and in the next it sounds like you're blaming NY for the spread in your own state and proposing interstate travel bans.

1,251 cases in Alabama as of today. That's +143 in 24 hrs. 32 deaths. +4 new.

I'd say you're past the point where interstate travel bans are going to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post

In one breath, you say the situation in NY "has nothing to do with whether or not it's going to explode in the South," and in the next it sounds like you're blaming NY for the spread in your own state and proposing interstate travel bans.

1,251 cases in Alabama as of today. That's +143 in 24 hrs. 32 deaths. +4 new.

I'd say you're past the point where interstate travel bans are going to make a difference.
                      WTF are you talking about. Try following everything post by post. In my first post where I showed the Flu stats from 18-19 that was in response to if we were at those levels yet. When I said "We will probably get there in the next couple months, especially if NY keeps exploding like it is" wasn't me speaking about my state. It was talking about the country getting to the flu numbers from 18-19.

My post about seeing car plates from NY is just that. I never see plates from NY down here except maybe once every few years. In the last few weeks I've probably seen around 30-40, and that is just in my area. They shouldn't be down here. No I'm not blaming them, but they aren't helping either.

Any way. Keep on just trying to have arguments with people when there isn't one to have.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 69bronco View Post
                          It has almost passed the the figure for how many people die per day from heart disease in the US, scary. Now stay inside and stare at your electronic device all day like a good boy.
                          Willful, Trumpian ignorance on full display!

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post

I'm going to go get that bacon cheeseburger on glazed doughnuts!
                            Don’t remember if you said you live in Colorado or not, but there’s a place in Springs that has that called Crave. It’s called the Luther. Damn good too. But after you do it, you look at your empty plate and think, “what the hell did I just eat?” Lol

Comment

Working...
                            X