No announcement yet.

TAIPEI Act - U.S. increases support for Taiwan, China threatens to strike back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAIPEI Act - U.S. increases support for Taiwan, China threatens to strike back

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN21E0B7
    TAIPEI/BEIJING (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump has signed into law an act that requires increased U.S. support for Taiwan internationally, prompting a denunciation by China, which said it would strike back if the law was implemented....

The Taiwan Allies International Protection and Enhancement Initiative (TAIPEI) Act, signed by Trump into law on Thursday with strong bipartisan support, requires the U.S. State Department to report to Congress on steps taken to strengthen Taiwan’s diplomatic relations.

It also requires the United States to “alter” engagement with nations that undermine Taiwan’s security or prosperity.

Taiwan complains that China is poaching the dwindling number of countries that maintain formal ties with Taipei and has prevented it from participating in bodies like the World Health Organization....

The US and Taiwan have been strategic allies going way back.

Comment

Originally posted by rmsanger View Post
      The US and Taiwan have been strategic allies going way back.

Spicoli just discovered this fact.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post

Spicoli just discovered this fact.
        yep... In my master's program back in Miami about 20% of our class was Taiwanese (also Han ethnicity). We went to dinner one night at a traditional Chinese restaurant to get crispy duck (peking duck). The server for our group was Chinese (recently immigrated to Mia) and asked if the people at the table were Chinese. They all defiantly so no we are Taiwanese. The waiter then replied so your are Chinese; half of our group got up and left the restaurant. I thought it was an interesting depiction of cultural relationship between the two countries watching it unfold in the US in English in front of me was very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by rmsanger View Post

yep... In my master's program back in Miami about 20% of our class was Taiwanese (also Han ethnicity). We went to dinner one night at a traditional Chinese restaurant to get crispy duck (peking duck). The server for our group was Chinese (recently immigrated to Mia) and asked if the people at the table were Chinese. They all defiantly so no we are Taiwanese. The waiter then replied so your are Chinese; half of our group got up and left the restaurant. I thought it was an interesting depiction of cultural relationship between the two countries watching it unfold in the US in English in front of me was very informative.
          I love Taiwan - Taipei is one of my favorite cities to visit. Ethnically and culturally speaking, it's like visiting a parallel universe where the communist revolution never happened.

Comment

I love Taiwan - Taipei is one of my favorite cities to visit. Ethnically and culturally speaking, it's like visiting a parallel universe where the communist revolution never happened.
            It never happened because the drug lord Change Kai Shek fled mainland China and occupied Taiwan. Chaing was at least as rotten as the Commies.

Comment

Even as the coronavirus rages across the earth, Trump keeps pushing economic warfare - sanctions - against at least 25% of the planet. Our policies are helping spread the virus in Gaza, Iran and Europe - and inflaming every bad situation.

Not smart. Very stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by mhgaffney View Post

It never happened because the drug lord Change Kai Shek fled mainland China and occupied Taiwan. Chaing was at least as rotten as the Commies.
                https://history.state.gov/milestones...52/chinese-rev

some interesting details on how that went down. We really didn’t provide support either way and likely underestimated how important China would be on the global stage due to their poverty and the emergence of the USSR.

Comment

...and yet, of the two countries, Taiwan ended up being the most open and the most Democratic.

Sort of renders your point moot.

Comment

...and yet, of the two countries, Taiwan ended up being the most open and the most Democratic.

Sort of renders your point moot.
                    No it doesn't. This is no time to pick a fight. Every nation including the US should be working together to stop the virus. Instead the US is provoking confrontation and war everywhere on earth. We have sanctioned at least 25% of the planet. Economic war often is the prelude to hot war.

The virus is spreading unchecked in the Mideast (eg., Yemen, Iraq and in Gaza ) because our wars have destroyed the medical infrastructure.

Comment

Trump's aggressive attitude toward Iran and China raises real questions about the origin of the virus.

Comment

No it doesn't. This is no time to pick a fight. Every nation including the US should be working together to stop the virus. Instead the US is provoking confrontation and war everywhere on earth. We have sanctioned at least 25% of the planet. Economic war often is the prelude to hot war.

The virus is spreading unchecked in the Mideast (eg., Yemen, Iraq and in Gaza ) because our wars have destroyed the medical infrastructure.
                        I was referring to your dumb comment about Chiang Kai Shek being "just as bad as the commies."

Comment

Working...
                        X