Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obesity epidemic costs U.S. economy $1.72 trillion

Obesity epidemic costs U.S. economy $1.72 trillion

The obesity epidemic in the U.S. has cost the U.S. economy $1.72 trillion, which includes hundreds of billions of dollars in health care costs related to risk factors of obesity and overweight individuals and more than a trillion dollars in lost productivity.

Total tax revenue is about 3.5 trillion per year. So yeah, just let that sink in folks. We lose about half of that because of all the fat people who can't stop shoving fast food in their face and won't get off the sofa.

We are the fattest nation on the planet. 36% of Americans are considered obese. Not just over weight or kinda plump, but genuinely obese. 32% of Americans (who aren't considered obese) are considered overweight (still fat though, just not super fat). Almost 60% of Americans are fat. Unreal, that's mind blowing.

We spend about 500 billion annually in health care costs related to obesity. The rest is lost production to our businesses due to so many people being fat and having health issues and complications from being so fat.

So the next time you want to complain and moan about what our tax dollars are being spent on, just let this stick with you. Want to give more money to the military? No problem. Want to keep some of those social programs like planned parenthood around? No problem. Want to pay less taxes and have companies that want to stick around here in America and hire more people? No Problem. Want to offer more scholarships and assistance to the needy? No problem.

We could easily do all of that, and more, if we weren't flushing half our money down the f'n toilet.

Do your part, stop stuffing your fat face with french fries and go exercise. Tell your family and friends to do the same.

And if we can't get people to lose weight, well then we need to take drastic measures. We need the obese people to pay for their lifestyle. We need a FAT tax. That's right. If you're one of those fat people complaining about their tax dollars being spent a certain way, well shut the F up because you're helping cost the system in a big way. Hahaha, get it, a BIG way.

Seriously folks, eat less, go for a jog already. This is getting really bad. It's costing us a lot of money. Most of our politicians are old and fat so you know they would never implement a Fat tax. So it's up to us. Let's save some money. Get fit.

Don't blame it on the American people. Blame it on the people that make the food. When did this obesity epidemic begin? About forty years ago. Why? Start looking into what started getting put into the food. Same with the gluten sensitivity epidemic. Why? The wheat our grandparents ate had about three times less gluten than hybridized modern wheat, if not more, and was milled in completely different ways. In the 70s, the food industry starting dumping high fructose corn syrup, sugar, transfats, etc etc etc into the food at alarming levels. It's only gotten worse since then. Also, the nutritional level in produce itself has been cut in half since the 50s. Why? Because we've destroyed the soil and have to pump it full of garbage fertilizers to get big leafy greens that have very little nutrition. Less nutrition means cravings to eat more.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
      Don't blame it on the American people. Blame it on the people that make the food. When did this obesity epidemic begin? About forty years ago. Why? Start looking into what started getting put into the food. Same with the gluten sensitivity epidemic. Why? The wheat our grandparents ate had about three times less gluten than hybridized modern wheat, if not more, and was milled in completely different ways. In the 70s, the food industry starting dumping high fructose corn syrup, sugar, transfats, etc etc etc into the food at alarming levels. It's only gotten worse since then. Also, the nutritional level in produce itself has been cut in half since the 50s. Why? Because we've destroyed the soil and have to pump it full of garbage fertilizers to get big leafy greens that have very little nutrition. Less nutrition means cravings to eat more.
      This is 100% correct. I'd just add that the economic despair that has become so common in this country is another major factor, as people comfort eat themselves to a bloated state. Many people also don't have the money to eat well, and cheap food has a pronounced tendency to be fattening.

Comment

I get all that dude. But cmon man, get real. People still eat way more than they should. When they look at a menu, they have choices. It's just that way too many of them decide to go with the burger with 2 patties dripping with cheese and covered with bacon and ranch, super sized fries and super sized drink and a sundae to finish off the meal. They're throwing down 2000 calories in 1 meal. They still sit on couches and watch Netflix more than they should. They don't exercise hardly anymore. Nobody is pointing a gun at them telling them to drink a gallon of soda. Nah. Last time I checked, people still had alot of choices out there, even poor people. It's mostly the people making poor choices in HOW much food they eat and their lack of interest in exercising.

Comment

There is no gluten sensitivity epidemic, there are idiots who get their scientific and medical advice from facebook. You should eat more cabbage, it has never been more nutritious than today.

The food industry like any other industry is amoral, it does what makes the most money. If people are not willing to speak with their wallets or better yet, elect people who are willing to dictate food quality then you get to eat ****.

Comment

I'd be more willing to listen to this if Obesity wasn't determined by the bull**** BMI Index.

Comment

Originally posted by 2KBack View Post
              I'd be more willing to listen to this if Obesity wasn't determined by the bull**** BMI Index.
              The BMI works for the majority of people, and it's extremely easy to use. Body fat percent is a better indication, but it's harder to get that test and many of the tests can be inaccurate. The BMI doesn't work for people with a lot of muscle mass. That's pretty much certain types of athletes and people who are into body building. That's a pretty small percent of the population.

Comment

It's crazy how simple it is to get junk food, but how difficult it can be to eat healthy. People who are home often can easily surround themselves with healthy food just by making wise choices at the grocery store, but eating away from home can be tough because most places have junk food. I really have to put in some effort and commitment to stay on my diet when away from home for long periods. We're surrounded by junk food and most people just keep eating it. Most people's diets are loaded with processed carbs, which are loaded with sugar and have very little fiber.

A while back I was at a drive in movie in Dayton OH (yeah, poor life decision lol). I went by the snack bar and as I was standing there, I could see the third of the people who were obese, the third who were overweight, and the third who were normal weight. I felt like I was in the minority because I'm of normal weight.

It's like people have been conditioned to believe that being overweight is normal, and being thin is a sign of illness. With my diet and workout program, I just did a cutting phase where I was trying to get down to 10% body fat. I hit 11.1%, saw my abs pop out, and decided to start my bulking phase. Anyways, a lot of people saw that I had gotten thinner and asked me if I was sick. The weird thing was that a lot of these folks were either overweight or obese. My entire diet is made up of healthy foods (mostly unprocessed foods) and I workout 4-5 times a week. But folks who don't workout and eat junk food think I'm sick?

Comment

Originally posted by gyldenlove View Post

There is no gluten sensitivity epidemic, there are idiots who get their scientific and medical advice from facebook. You should eat more cabbage, it has never been more nutritious than today.

The food industry like any other industry is amoral, it does what makes the most money. If people are not willing to speak with their wallets or better yet, elect people who are willing to dictate food quality then you get to eat ****.
                  there's definitely issues with modern wheat causing people issues related to gluten. Diet is key to health. I'm not going to call it an epidemic thou. I have UC/Crohns, and quitting gluten fixed me up enough to quit the BS meds that were has bad as the ailment.

I strongly agree with your second comment thou. Food to Football your cash is king.

Comment

It's not wholly on what is eaten, but more so on how much the fat cows shove in their pie holes.

Go to Golden Corral some time and watch them eat...it's gross.

Comment

All these people sitting at home ordering pizzas and watching Netflix isn’t going to help.

Comment

I'm sure someone will blame it on food prices and say it's too expensive to eat healthy. That is such a cop out and excuse for lack of self discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                          I'm sure someone will blame it on food prices and say it's too expensive to eat healthy. That is such a cop out and excuse for lack of self discipline.
                          BINGO!

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                            Lots of poor people live in food deserts. It’s not just about theoretical food affordability. Though to completely dismiss the issue of affordability is quite absurd as well.

Comment

exercise has very little to do with weight lose. it's been proven time and time again. stop eating sugar and grains and stop letting companies use sugar and grain in everything. they other day i looked at my garlic salt and it had sugar in it. ****ing garlic salt. mother ****ers. .

Comment

Working...
                              X