Russia is Still Our Enemy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia is Still Our Enemy

In the midst of this virus, beware of disinformation spread by Russia. Putin is using this crisis to attack the West. Contrary to what many on the Right now seem to believe, Putin is not our BFF.

The next Russian attack on the U.S. could be massive in scope and debilitating in its effects. It will make social media bots and trolls look benign by comparison. It could be as straightforward and easily traced back to Russia, or it could be far more ambitious. For example, “WannaCry,” the May 2017 ransomware attack that crippled hospitals in Western Europe by exploiting a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows, was based on an exploit originally identified by the National Security Agency. The exploit was leaked and a hacker group known as the Shadow Brokers published the detailed code online in April 2017. After the attack was unleashed, the U.S. identified North Korea (not Russia) as responsible for WannaCry in the fall of 2017. WannaCry presents a potential new threat vector: Malicious actors (Russia, China, etc.) hack Western intelligence agencies and leak the information to third parties (Shadow Brokers or others) that then post the exploits publicly, allowing other bad actors around the world to use the tools for whatever ends. In this case, it is more difficult to definitively lay the blame on a single actor, which constrains the West’s ability to respond. (3/2018)

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order...ts-and-trolls/

(Last week)
    Thousands of Russian-linked social media accounts have launched a coordinated effort to spread misinformation and alarm about coronavirus, disrupting global efforts to fight the epidemic, US officials have said.

The disinformation campaign promotes unfounded conspiracy theories that the US is behind the new coronavirus outbreak, in an apparent bid to damage America’s image around the world.

State department officials tasked with combatting Russian disinformation told Agence France-Presse (AFP) false personas were being used on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to advance Russian talking points in multiple languages.

“Russia’s intent is to sow discord and undermine US institutions and alliances from within, including through covert and coercive malign influence campaigns,” said Philip Reeker, the acting assistant secretary of state for Europe and Eurasia.

“By spreading disinformation about coronavirus, Russian malign actors are once again choosing to threaten public safety by distracting from the global health response,” he said.

Some accounts have falsely claimed the US is waging “economic war on China” and that the virus is a biological weapon manufactured by the CIA.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-us-officials

Given Russia's current oil war with Saudi Arabia (and U.S. fracking), expect Putin to up his game as far as propaganda, disinformation and cyber attacks go.

Russia has a friend in Barr.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
      In the midst of this virus, beware of disinformation spread by Russia. Putin is using this crisis to attack the West. Contrary to what many on the Right now seem to believe, Putin is not our BFF.

The next Russian attack on the U.S. could be massive in scope and debilitating in its effects. It will make social media bots and trolls look benign by comparison. It could be as straightforward and easily traced back to Russia, or it could be far more ambitious. For example, “WannaCry,” the May 2017 ransomware attack that crippled hospitals in Western Europe by exploiting a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows, was based on an exploit originally identified by the National Security Agency. The exploit was leaked and a hacker group known as the Shadow Brokers published the detailed code online in April 2017. After the attack was unleashed, the U.S. identified North Korea (not Russia) as responsible for WannaCry in the fall of 2017. WannaCry presents a potential new threat vector: Malicious actors (Russia, China, etc.) hack Western intelligence agencies and leak the information to third parties (Shadow Brokers or others) that then post the exploits publicly, allowing other bad actors around the world to use the tools for whatever ends. In this case, it is more difficult to definitively lay the blame on a single actor, which constrains the West’s ability to respond. (3/2018)

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order...ts-and-trolls/

(Last week)
      Thousands of Russian-linked social media accounts have launched a coordinated effort to spread misinformation and alarm about coronavirus, disrupting global efforts to fight the epidemic, US officials have said.

The disinformation campaign promotes unfounded conspiracy theories that the US is behind the new coronavirus outbreak, in an apparent bid to damage America’s image around the world.

State department officials tasked with combatting Russian disinformation told Agence France-Presse (AFP) false personas were being used on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to advance Russian talking points in multiple languages.

“Russia’s intent is to sow discord and undermine US institutions and alliances from within, including through covert and coercive malign influence campaigns,” said Philip Reeker, the acting assistant secretary of state for Europe and Eurasia.

“By spreading disinformation about coronavirus, Russian malign actors are once again choosing to threaten public safety by distracting from the global health response,” he said.

Some accounts have falsely claimed the US is waging “economic war on China” and that the virus is a biological weapon manufactured by the CIA.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-us-officials

Given Russia's current oil war with Saudi Arabia (and U.S. fracking), expect Putin to up his game as far as propaganda, disinformation and cyber attacks go.
      Ro seriously cites Brookings without gagging? Give me a break. Ro needs to stop pushing the threadbare We are in a Cold War meme. Just stop. The Cold War ended in 1991 - and what has happened since was the media, Deep State and Democratic Party apparatchiks in denial.

Russia is doing what is best for Russia. No more and no less. Like every other country on earth.

A week ago, yes, it must be said, Putin had a chance to exact revenge on the US after years and years of insults, attacks, threats, and sanctions. He merely said "no" to OPEC. That was it. But it might as well have been a 9.0 quake.

OPEC has since collapsed, along with the price of oil. And so has the legendary US shale oil & gas industry which was based on a song and a prayer (actually - it was based on our foreign policy of bullying other nations). The famed US oil shale industry is now history. Thank heaven. Maybe now we will also see an end to fracking - which would be another blessing for the planet. Amen. Yay Putin!

Comment

Putin is re-writing their constitution as we type so he can be czar for life.

Comment

Oh noes...

Comment

Always the liar, Roh. If anyone intimated the Russians were our BFFs, it was the Democrats themselves in the 2012 election cycle:

"The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back." -- Barack Obama

"Russia has been an ally" -- Hillary Clinton

"Governor Romney is mired in a cold war mindset" -- Joe Biden

The Russians were fine and dandy, regardless of what they did, to the Democrats until they were fingered for the Wikileaks hacks which publicly aired the DNC filth Hillary blamed her loss on.

Mitt Romney finally gets credit years later for his warnings on Russia

Madeleine Albright, a top Democrat on foreign policy, apologized to Romney.

Comment

"Putin has big plans for Russia. He wants to edge out its neighbors so that Russia can dominate oil supplies to all of Europe," Trump said. "I respect Putin and Russians but cannot believe our leader (Obama) allows them to get away with so much...Hats off to the Russians."

"Will he become my new best friend?" Trump asked of Putin in a tweet wondering whether Putin would attend the 2013 Miss Universe pageant Trump brought to Moscow.

"I think I'd get along very well with Vladimir Putin. I just think so," Trump said in one of his first comments about the Russian leader since launching his presidential bid last June.

"I think the biggest thing we have is that we were on '60 Minutes' together and we had fantastic ratings. One of your best-rated shows in a long time," Trump joked. "So that was good, right? So we were stable mates."

Dec. 18, 2015: Trump defends against allegations Putin has ordered the killings of journalists
              "He's running his country and at least he's a leader, unlike what we have in this country," Trump said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "I think our country does plenty of killing also."

"I have no relationship with him other than he called me a genius. He said Donald trump is a genius and he is going to be the leader of the party and he's going to be the leader of the world or something," Trump said, embellishing Putin's praise.
              "These characters that I'm running against said, 'We want you to disavow that statement.' I said what, he called me a genius, I'm going to disavow it? Are you crazy? Can you believe it? How stupid are they."

He praised Mr Putin for his criticising the long-standing notion of “American exceptionalism” on CNN on 13 September 2013: “You think of the term as being fine, but all of sudden you say, what if you’re in Germany or Japan or any one of 100 different countries? You’re not going to like that term. It’s very insulting and Putin really put it to him [President Barack Obama] about that.”

In October, he told Larry King Mr Putin had done “a really great job outsmarting our country” and told David Letterman that he himself had done “a lot of business with the Russians” and that Mr Putin was “a tough guy”.

“Russia is like, I mean they’re really hot stuff... and now you have people in the Ukraine – who knows, set up or not – but it can’t all be set up, I mean they’re marching in favor of joining Russia.”

2017: "I don't know who Putin is."

Comment

^^^ Deflect to Trump (including outright manufacture of fake quote) to try to prop up the Democrats longstanding ho-hum attitude toward Moscow until the moment Hillary blamed them for losing.

It's also really cute how you avoid admitting that Obama's attitude toward Russia has caused us any problems later on.

But you're a lying Marxist, Roh.

Comment

Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
                  ^^^ Deflect to Trump (including outright manufacture of fake quote) to try to prop up the Democrats longstanding ho-hum attitude toward Moscow until the moment Hillary blamed them for losing.

It's also really cute how you avoid admitting that Obama's attitude toward Russia has caused us any problems later on.

But you're a lying Marxist, Roh.
                  Once again, nothing but bull****. You weren't here. You don't know what I posted. So you make up lies. That's all you do here. Lie. Bull****. Flood the zone with ****. Nothing but a Trump Cult bot.

Comment

Once again, nothing but bull****. You weren't here. You don't know what I posted. So you make up lies. That's all you do here. Lie. Bull****. Flood the zone with ****. Nothing but a Trump Cult bot.
                    Wow, you're really mad tonight. Your posts are all short-sentence insults. You aren't even responding to points. You aren't TRYING to respond to points.

It's late. Maybe you should let some steam off by choking the chicken and drinking some warm milk and nodding off to sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by nyuk nyuk View Post

Wow, you're really mad tonight. Your posts are all short-sentence insults. You aren't even responding to points. You aren't TRYING to respond to points.

It's late. Maybe you should let some steam off by choking the chicken and drinking some warm milk and nodding off to sleep?
                      Points? You don't make points. You troll. That's all you've done since you came here. Once again, going for the genitals. You've got some weird **** going there, lady.

Comment

Originally posted by mhgaffney View Post

Ro seriously cites Brookings without gagging? Give me a break. Ro needs to stop pushing the threadbare We are in a Cold War meme. Just stop. The Cold War ended in 1991 - and what has happened since was the media, Deep State and Democratic Party apparatchiks in denial.

Russia is doing what is best for Russia. No more and no less. Like every other country on earth.

A week ago, yes, it must be said, Putin had a chance to exact revenge on the US after years and years of insults, attacks, threats, and sanctions. He merely said "no" to OPEC. That was it. But it might as well have been a 9.0 quake.

OPEC has since collapsed, along with the price of oil. And so has the legendary US shale oil & gas industry which was based on a song and a prayer (actually - it was based on our foreign policy of bullying other nations). The famed US oil shale industry is now history. Thank heaven. Maybe now we will also see an end to fracking - which would be another blessing for the planet. Amen. Yay Putin!

It must hurt to be so dumb. The Brookings quote was from a white paper two years ago. The Guardian quote was from yesterday.

Fortunately, we don't have to wonder about your sympathies. As your own post wrapped it up, "Yay Putin!" That pretty much says it all.

Comment

Russia is definitely the enemy of the Democrats. I think that much is clear.

America, on the other hand, well, it seems to be the Democrats enemy too.

Comment

Points? You don't make points. You troll. That's all you've done since you came here. Once again, going for the genitals. You've got some weird **** going there, lady.
                            Advising you to let off some steam isn't "going for the genitals." You also have no business whining about low blows as you've repeatedly called me a bitch. Every post you made last night was only insult. No dialogue, no valid points, no considered arguments. Just insults. And then this butthurt crying victim after your salvo of insults when someone returned fire.

Comment

Working...
                            X