No announcement yet.

Coronavirus Proves the Argument For Universal Healthcare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hospitals are threatening to fire health-care workers who publicize their working conditions during the coronavirus pandemic -- and have in some cases followed through.

Ming Lin, an emergency room physician in Washington state, said he was told Friday he was out of a job because he’d given an interview to a newspaper about a Facebook post detailing what he believed to be inadequate protective equipment and testing. In Chicago, a nurse was fired after emailing colleagues that she wanted to wear a more protective mask while on duty. In New York, the NYU Langone Health system has warned employees they could be terminated if they talk to the media without authorization.

Hospitals Tell Doctors They’ll Be Fired If They Speak Out About Lack of Gear

"I spoke out for patient safety and as a result I got terminated."

Comment

Originally posted by Taco John View Post
      I still can't believe Taco posted this idiotic comparison. The exponential growths of deaths suggest that COVID-19 will pass H1N1 by April 7th, and this is still 1 to 2 weeks before the peak.

Comment

It's becoming clear that Trump brought Kushner in to impose the idea of privatization onto the federal response to this pandemic. This is new ground. A complete paradigm shift. There is money to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
          Hospitals are threatening to fire health-care workers who publicize their working conditions during the coronavirus pandemic -- and have in some cases followed through.

Ming Lin, an emergency room physician in Washington state, said he was told Friday he was out of a job because he’d given an interview to a newspaper about a Facebook post detailing what he believed to be inadequate protective equipment and testing. In Chicago, a nurse was fired after emailing colleagues that she wanted to wear a more protective mask while on duty. In New York, the NYU Langone Health system has warned employees they could be terminated if they talk to the media without authorization.

Hospitals Tell Doctors They’ll Be Fired If They Speak Out About Lack of Gear

"I spoke out for patient safety and as a result I got terminated."

Firing doctors during a healthcare disaster...this country is just insane.

Comment

Why not? They just fired a captain of an aircraft carrier for suggesting that they should save his crew? We're starting to remind me of the USSR - The bull**** is more important than reality. That's the "leadership" Trump brings to the table.

Comment

These pirates are why we can't have nice things...

Comment

I sympathize with Robert Reich. In fact, he's an admirable and empathetic soul. What he (and everybody else) needs to realize is that, for the people running the health care system in the USA, it's not a failure at all, nor is it broken. It's a massive success! And I do mean MASSIVE. One of the great business successes in history. Is there any industry in America making more money while providing less product? It's a mammoth cash cow! And as long as Citizens United is the law of the land, that is not going to change. I'm sure Robert realizes that. Like I say, you can tell the truth all day long. Doesn't mean a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
                  These pirates are why we can't have nice things...

B/N - 150k- 500k/ month before taxes to run a health system... impressive

Comment

Originally posted by SVine View Post

I still can't believe Taco posted this idiotic comparison. The exponential growths of deaths suggest that COVID-19 will pass H1N1 by April 7th, and this is still 1 to 2 weeks before the peak.
                    I can. He's an absolute moron. He was one of the leaders of the "coronavirus is nothingburger" crew a couple weeks ago. At least he's been smart enough to mostly hide since then!

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyR View Post

I can. He's an absolute moron. He was one of the leaders of the "coronavirus is nothingburger" crew a couple weeks ago. At least he's been smart enough to mostly hide since then!
                      Not exactly.

Whenever Taco Warlord steps in dog ****, one (or more) of the fake troll profiles he's created magically appears.

Comment

• Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post

Not exactly.

Whenever Taco Warlord steps in dog ****, one (or more) of the fake troll profiles he's created magically appears.
                        Yeah, there's a couple that are suspicious for sure. I mostly ignore the primary two that come to mind.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	91491910_1521619154682397_848471880246493184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=lRQzu7O0rSwAX_HksvS&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk9-2.fna&oh=c8d82cafca561ee8ecdea3060d1bf426&oe=5EB69F9D.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2603712

Comment

• Medicare Extra is the middle ground Democrats need

Back in July, the Center for American Progress released its “Medicare Extra” proposal. As I wrote at the time, the plan was, and is, an intriguing synthesis of left and moderate ideas on health reform. It’s universal, it uses Medicare’s pricing power to hold down costs, it rebuilds the health system around public insurance — and it gives everyone, everywhere, a true choice between public and private options, no matter what their employer is offering. In all those ways, it goes much further than Bidencare.

At the same time, Medicare Extra retains private insurance options, allows employers to continue offering insurance to employees if they think they can provide something better than the public option, and it holds the total price tag to somewhere in the $2.8 trillion to $4.5 trillion range. Which is to say, it’s not nearly as disruptive as Sanders’s Medicare-for-all bill, and it only requires about a tenth of the tax increases.

Here’s how it works:

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/9/2121035...dicare-for-all

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by ShaneFalco View Post
                                Daily Mail, the UK's paper version of FOX. LMAO

From Media Bias.
                                In its founding, the Daily Mail was aimed at the literate lower-middle class and had a high volume of advertising revenue. Over time, it has produced many notable stories, but has also come under fire for a variety of controversies,
                                including accusations of homophobia, racism, and sexism.

Typical Daily Mail con.

Write a provocative headline, then bury the facts, assuming the average, right wing reader won't, read the article. Sound familiar?

From the article:

The scoring system was considered in a piece of draft guidance which has now been scrapped, NHS sources say.

Instead, clinicians are being urged to use the 'Clinical Frailty Scale' when considering which patients to give critical care.

It does not discriminate against age, but it does weigh up underlying conditions and overall health.

The Clinical Frailty Scale was included in guidelines issued by the NHS regulator, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). It was originally developed at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada.

An NHS website outlining how the scoring system works states that it 'is a reliable predictor of outcomes in the urgent care context'.

'Like any decision support tool, it is not perfect and should not be used in isolation to direct clinical decision-making,' it adds.

'It will sensitise you to the likely outcomes in groups of patients, but clinical decision-making with individual patients should be undertaken through a more holistic assessment, using the principles of shared decision-making.'

If you think US Doctors, or Doctors around the world aren't facing similar decisions, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                                X